The Tennis Thread #2 - Page 24 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
04-07-2013
V.I.P.

Well, what a rout of a first semi - totally boring, sorry.

But what a wonderful second semi - overall, both ladies played a great match!

As is the case, though (not only in tennis but broadly speaking), she who "goes for it" often "wins it". And sometimes Aggy is just too passive. She needs to whack the ball sometimes. I love her guile and variety, but to win a slam she's going to have to take her chances and develop a kill shot occasionally. She can slice and dice and draw errors, but it's just not always going to work, especially with a mentally tough player. Lisicki is the aggressive player in this match up and she won. Grass often rewards variety, but usually players who mix that with some aggressive play come out ahead.

Now, about that final....!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
04-07-2013
Stitch:the Hand

i have to say i'm pretty pleased for sabine. first german woman into a major final since the greatest of them all,steffi did it in 99. wonderful achievement....even more remarkable if she she wins it. i have to say she deserves it. she worked the hardest beating the overwhelming favourite this year,defending champ and a 6 time champ at that....and add to that last year's defending finalist. she's been a giant killer this week for sure.

to your point NPJ,i have to say it has unfortunately been the case with aga against these more powerful,aggressive players who have a little more dimension and versatility in their games. she's never done well against serena or petra in the last three years and has a very poor record against maria and vika as well. and lisicki winning in the end with that serve and forehand is no surprise. it was all just a question of lisicki recovering her serve again.

have to say pretty impressed with bartoli today....she was in the zone,as she feels,indeed. nice to see momo and the french fed cup coaches with her this entire fortnight. i'm glad that she hasn't gone back to her dad after all....she needs new voices and support. disappointing that flipper's knee kind of hindered that serve which really boosted her against petra. but semifinal...not too shabby for her.

Last edited by Scott; 04-07-2013 at 01:25 PM.
05-07-2013
V.I.P.

Wow, Nole versus Juan Martin was EPIC! What an incredible match, fought at the highest level by two warriors, and in excellent sporting spirit too. An absolute pleasure to watch. Too bad there has to always be only one winner. But I think this is one of my favourite matches in a long while. Not a poor set in it. No lopsided ones as you sometimes see in 5 setters. All the sets were tightly contested. BRILLIANT GUYS!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
05-07-2013
fashion insider

Really Happy for Murray and I still am rooting for him to with this major but Djokovic is a beast! I'm not a fan of Nole but I cannot deny his talent, he has dominated mens tennis for the last 2 years I think

06-07-2013

it was a case of nerves for sabine today but i was really impressed with marion's composure out there as well as her steady aggression. she really took the timing away from lisicki. i think had lisicki served better the complexion of the match could have been different. otherwise,for sabine,maybe not the end we all wanted,win or lose,but a spectacular run to the final. hopefully we get to see another chance from her really soon and hopefully even outside wimbledon for a change too.

07-07-2013
fashion insider

SOO Excited for Andy!

07-07-2013
tfs star

The one time I root for Djokovic he loses, badly
Murray played a great game today, the way he came back in the last two sets was amazing (and frustrating). Djokovic couldn't keep up, he would start off fierce and energetic then crash and barely able to make it across the court.

I'm ready for the US Open!

07-07-2013
fashion icon

Awww, so happy for Murray! I've got British pride and I'm not even British!

07-07-2013
V.I.P.

Yay Andy! Represent.
A well deserved win, first Brit to win in 77 years.

07-07-2013
V.I.P.

Congrats to Andy - big win for the British/Scots.

Have to say though: I found BOTH the men's and ladies' finals to be anti-climactic after exciting semis, and both the giant killers lost in finals. Them's the breaks!

07-07-2013

have to say i'm thrilled for andy not only nabbing his second major but his home major.....but especially thrilled for britain today....finally!! no more of that endless conversation on the horizon andy was just unwavering....even when he got into trouble in those final two sets and that heart-pounding final service game....egads! really well done.

also,congrats today as well to daniel nestor and kiki mlandenovic on nabbing the mixed doubles.

07-07-2013
V.I.P.

scott, so true! they can put that 77 year old conversation to bed thanks to andy's win.

and wow, nestor just never stops winning the titles. he's amazing.

08-07-2013
V.I.P.

Although I was rooting for Lisicki on Saturday, I was so happy to see Bartoli win too. I'm generally not a fan of hers, but there was something so endearing about her win. She played a good match. Stayed focused. Knew what she had to do and did it. Lisicki was the opposite of that. Unraveling from the get go. Hopefully Lisicki can use this experience and push forward. She should have more chances in the future. Congrats to Bartoli.

Congrats to Murray too. The final was tough because I can't stand either of those two (both so arrogant!), it was quite obvious Andy really wanted it and he gave it his all out there. Djokovic just didn't know how to be in that position. Must have been odd for him to be so overpowered. Plus, hopefully this will put to rest the whole "no Brit has won blah blah blah..." The better match was between Del Potro and Djokovic on Friday. Wish Del Potro had pulled that one out.

V.I.P.

Funny, I don't find either of them arrogant. Taste is suck a fickle thing. :p

Totally agree with you about this though:
Quote:
The better match was between Del Potro and Djokovic on Friday.
That match was quite incredible, one of the best of the year for sure. Excellent quality. They played in such a sporting fashion too, being close friends off the court. It was wonderful to watch on so many levels. Likely, too, it explains Djokovic's "off" game on Sunday to some degree. I read a funny tweet that called Del Potro "Murray's accomplice" since he tired out Fed before the Olympics final in the longest match there, and then he tired out Novak before this final in the longest semi in history at Wimbledon. Indeed, I think both the runners-up, Lisicki and Djokovic, were a bit spent by the time the finals rolled round as they both played through the tougher draws and were more taxed, as a result, both mentally and physically.

But that's how it goes sometimes and the winners were nonetheless deserving.

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 08-07-2013 at 09:57 AM.
08-07-2013
fashion icon

Incredibly proud of Murray's win, the whole of Britain must still be celebrating! It's been a long time coming that's for sure! Wish I could have watched the match, of course something as epic like this happens when it's like the first time in years I haven't watched the finals, but I was stuck in a car driving home from Pennsylvania. Will also be a bit nice to not have to hear commentary about how its been over 70 years since the last British person won, at next years Wimbledon.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, tennis, thread