How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-09-2013
backstage pass

Super happy for Gasquet as well!

08-09-2013
fashion insider

This year's US Open has been a pretty disappointing one for me, with Fed and Aga going out in 4th round.

Out of what I've seen on the women's side there have been very few memorable matches. The semis weren't high quality and were thrown into sharp relief with the men's yesterday. Djokovic vs Wawrinka was match of the tournament for me. The third game of the fifth set which lasted for over 20 minutes and featured 12 deuces was incredible. Gotta feel Stan really deserves a shot at a slam title. The first set and a half from him was lights-out tennis.

I'm hoping Serena vs Vika tonight is a great match so it can end on a high note for the women.

08-09-2013
V.I.P.

I think the surface at the AO might be even more suitable for Stan. So if he preservers, and doesn't get discouraged, I think he has a real shot there next year.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
08-09-2013
Stitch:the Hand

not to mention petra going out early...sam stosur who was in with a real shot this year after a great summer season....but generally we did see some interesting surprises like giorgi and of course flavia pennetta who i'm happy to say has shot back up to 31 from 83 this week. and you mentioned aga,but i have to say i was thrilled for makarova in that.

but the women's semis kind of fell flat for me as well. as much as flavia tried all her might to do something even she admitted afterward that she went away from the aggressive strategy she had implemented all week. still happy to see her back on form again and i hope it only gets better from now on. li na against serena obviously was a strange one to comprehend. really an anomaly as she's improved so much in the control aspects of her game. i only got to see the first set of the women's final tonight as i had engagements to take care of but it was a nail biter and then i came home saw that vika won in the tie-break 8-6 that second set and couldn't get over serena in the crucial moments in that final set.

to tell you the truth the women's doubles was probably my favourite part of the whole fortnight for me on the part of the women....seeing andrea and lucie come out with their guns blazing against venus and serena in the semis and seeing them finally overcome the previous major finals they were in...was great to see that happen for them. and hopefully something that will re-establish their status on the doubles court as they've struggled with results and lucie being injured this year.

and the men's tournament has been rocking all two weeks. watching stan wawrinka with his magic taking out berdych,andy and giving his all against novak was a highlight. then seeing tommy robredo,who i've always been a fan of dispose of roger federer rather handily was odd but thrilling for the comeback of tommy. and lleyton hewitt against del potro.....it's been a strange but rather a highly entertaining transpiration for the men nevertheless.

Last edited by Scott; 08-09-2013 at 11:44 PM.
09-09-2013
fashion icon

So I know I just pop into the tennis thread every so often when my favorites are doing well but I have to say, YAY RAFA! Was very psyched to see that my all time favorite won the US Open. Also, major congrats to Serena for her win, her 17th Grand Slam title which is pretty amazing!

fashion insider

Wow at the men's final! I'm not the greatest Rafa fan but he was super-impressive. So was Novak but he couldn't seem to sustain his level into the 4th set. That 54 shot rally was incredible. I feel very jealous of the people who managed to get tickets for this (although I do still wonder whether the people right at the top can actually see anything). How long till Rafa is no.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
and the men's tournament has been rocking all two weeks. watching stan wawrinka with his magic taking out berdych,andy and giving his all against novak was a highlight. then seeing tommy robredo,who i've always been a fan of dispose of roger federer rather handily was odd but thrilling for the comeback of tommy. and lleyton hewitt against del potro.....it's been a strange but rather a highly entertaining transpiration for the men nevertheless.
Yeah there were some great matches in the men's. But you had to know where to look. I was really happy to see Lleyton doing well. I like a scrapper! At this stage of his career it was good to see him pull off some impressive victories.

But I also thought there were a load of the feature matches on Ashe that never caught light, or were complete blowouts. So many bagels and breadsticks!

11-09-2013
fashion insider

My favourite ever player on the WTA, Anna Chakvetadze, has officially announced her retirement today in an interview with a Russian paper.

I guess I knew this was coming for a long time but it's sad to hear it finally confirmed. Anna was suffering with a chronic back injury sustained during a training session in 2011. She's been doing some commentary on tennis matches for Russian TV since then and she's also going to try her hand at coaching - she's working with a junior at the moment to see how it goes.

I was glad I was able to see her play live twice (Birmingham and Wimbledon) and she won both times! She's also the only tennis player I've ever asked for an autograph. (I'd ask Roger too if I ever got the chance.) And my tfs username is from her!

I hope she finds success and happiness in this new phase of her life.

12-09-2013

you must feel a bit gutted about this chaky....i know you were a huge fan of her.

i actually had been wondering about her this year because i haven't seeing her in any of the qualies or main draws since last september. it's too bad at just 26....a little bit similar to what dina safina has gone through whom i expect we'll also hear an announcement from in the very near future. it's been a rough few years for anna after that horrific home invasion which i don't think emotionally she ever truly recovered from.....and then the injuries started to pile up subsequently. she was a nice talent and sort of the antithesis to that typical russian power....she had a very elegant game...fluid,deep strokes on the court.

19-09-2013
fashion insider

Constance Jablonski playing tennis. Not bad eh?

http://instagram.com/p/ec0UIYGp5e/

21-09-2013
front row

^ Yeah, saw that. She's got some good court coverage and not a shabby FH!

28-12-2013
V.I.P.

Should be an interesting 2014, what with Becker and Edberg joining Lendl back on the tour!!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
28-12-2013

^indeed. interesting that in becker's case,it was novak's coach marian vajda who sort of instigated that move. marian wants to spend a bit more time at home apparently and felt novak could improve with some other elements in his game.

also this 2014,we also see the very welcomed return of vera zvonareva this coming week,who's been out for the last year and a half with that shoulder injury which she had repaired at the start of 2013. she says she doesn't have a lot of high expectations initially but is happy simply to be back competing and healthy again.

28-12-2013
fashion insider

Becker-Djokovic seems like such a weird combination to me. Maybe it's partly because Boris seems to have turned into a caricature in recent years. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

My hopes for this year:
1) ATP: At least one men's slam goes to someone unexpected. The Big Four have given us some superb matches in finals, but maybe time for a few of the young guns to start making a serious move up and show what they can do. Who are the next lot of truly great players?

2) Federer to improve his ranking. Yeah he's on the decline but it would be nice if he could show some signs of resistance and demonstrate that he can still compete at the very top.

3) Aga to win a slam. She's my favourite on the WTA right now. It would be nice for her to prove that Wimbledon last year wasn't her best chance wasted. (And I hope she makes some more amazing trick shots for the highlights reels.)

4) WTA: I hope that Vera has a good comeback. And Halep continues her great run of form from last year. And the British girls have a bit more success (and fewer injuries).

28-12-2013

^to add on the wta….i hope to also see petra become a force again. she's made a lot of changes in her training and her fitness this off-season(instead of staying in the CR this year she trained in florida with radek),i really hope to see that pay off on the big stages this year.

simona,she's become my darling now too. she only needs a couple hundred points before cracking the top 10 now. so a good run at sydney would lift her into those echelons. also keen to see how genie bouchard continues to build on her breakthrough season in her first full pro season. she did what sloane,madison and the other more touted newcomers haven't done….she made a tour final.

a lot of coaching changes in general this off-season. more than i've ever seen before. aside from the most talked about…..starting with sam stosur and miles macclagan(unfortunately didn't get off to a good start at hopman cup,losing to genie bouchard)…..simona dumped her coach as well although their relationship actually didn't happen till new haven and was more a test run….caro hired hogstedt(i guess spending time with his family was a bit of a farce)….maria hired sven groeneveld….and sloane stephens might be working a bit with paul annacone.

Last edited by Scott; 28-12-2013 at 02:54 PM.
29-12-2013
tfs star

I was watching Rafa and Ferrer in Abu Dhabi and remembering Ferrer's game this year and for the first time I thought he (Ferrer) could actually win a major is 2014. He has been phenomenal this past year and I think if he gets to a final and Djokovic or Nadal aren't there to stop him can pull a win. He may even surprise everyone and beat the top 2 in the finals.

I am rooting for him next year

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, tennis, thread