How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-06-2012
V.I.P.

^I don't know why people are complaining that we on't have a "truly visible clay-court stalwart", I LOVE the fact that it's truly unpredicted. Every match can give us an upset. Makes it more exciting, imo. I'd rather have what we have in WTA than what we have in ATP. I mean, yeah they're good and all, but how utterly boring is it to see Nadal/Novak/Feder in the top four in every major tournament?

08-06-2012
Stitch:the Hand

well for me,i adore that we have many players that can take this title however i also would love to see more clay-court depth in the top 10. like a schiavone or errani. to me there's just something wonderfully magical about watching players slide naturally.....moving about the court with such ease.....and utilising the nuances this surface offers,in terms of touch,feel and the spin that these courts eat up.

that being said too.....do i want another justine henin dominating all the time--not really. in fact it was rather exhilarating the prospects after she retired. sveta,dinara,lena,ana et al. but i would love to see some sense of melange at the top again though. stosur is really the only real clay courter we got right now. hopefully errani can make the most of her run here and i would love to see sveta continuing to improve,with her new coaching and living situation back in spain once again.

09-06-2012

congrats to maria. simply too much firepower on those crucial points but you have to give some respect to sara errani because after maria went up 4/0 in the first set errani did not make it easy for her....she was in almost every single game....more so in that second set despite it being 6/2.....it lasted for close to an hour alone.

looking ahead do you guys think maria can legitimately keep this going into the summer....continue taking advantage of this lull we seem to be experiencing at the moment? vika is not playing so brilliantly....petra certainly isn't in top form. can she do this against serena on grass or HC? it'll be an interesting next few months to say the least. and how will errani capitalize on this run of form?

09-06-2012
V.I.P.

Congrats to Maria. I was so happy when she clinched it, because for some reason I am never 100% sure when it comes to Maria, lol. Glad it was against Errani and not against someone like Azarenka, bc I would've been a nervous wreck. Still, I agree Errani fought well. After that 0-4 start, you'd think she'd be defeated, but she sort of turned it around. I also think the final score box doesn't tell the full story. While it was 6-3, 6-2, the match felt closer than the score indicates. Every game seemingly had a couple of douce moments with each player saving a few break points. But yay for Maria, very deserving.

V.I.P.

I am very happy for Maria; I don't think I have ever seen her so affected by a win. From pure joy, to tears, to huge grins. It was lovely to see. She loves the sport; she loves to compete, and you could see how much this win at Roland Garros meant to her. Not to mention completing the career slam. But oddly that seemed like a side note. More important, it seemed, to Sharapova, was the fact that after 4 years of struggle since her shoulder issues, she is back. Indeed. Come back stories are always heartening.

Now for the men's final: I still think Rafa will win, but I think Nole could maybe get a set! In present form, and on this surface, I think it's too much of a hurdle for Nole to leap this time. Though he does continue to surprise and create drama.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
09-06-2012
V.I.P.

Scott, what makes me think that Maria has a chance to keep going is how well she served this FO. That could definitely help her on grass and hard courts. She's always had a great return and wicked groundstrokes, but the serve was never reliable like it seemed to be this fortnight.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
10-06-2012

well i think the key in that is that she did have some dodgy serves but she quite often backed it up with an ace or an un-returnable. and the struggles on serve also didn't seem to affect the rest of her game as it tends to do. but i think what i noticed more than anything was the improved movement on this surface compared with all her struggles here in the past.

but egads,what a disappointment this event has been for the rest of the top women.

12-06-2012
tfs star

WOW, CONGRATULATIONS TO SHARAPOVA!!!

Who would've thought she would've won the French Open, I thought maybe a few semis, but not winning, I'm extremely happy for her, really happy, she worked hard for this and deserved it, still in shock that she has all four, the first tournament I ever watched was 2004 Roland Garros when she made it to the quarters, and that was her breakthrough. Now, look at her, having the career grand slam!!!. Off to Wimbledon, where I'm sure, her, Serena, and maybe even Venus are the favorites, along with Kvitova, Azarenka, and Stosur in the background.

Also, congratulations to Nadal, he didn't let the pressure get to him at all, Djokovic tried, but he just couldn't get to the King of Clay, Nadal. Nadal now has the MOST French Opens, with seven!. If Djokovic would've won, it truly would've been a special moment, winning four consecutive slams, winning Roland Garros for the first time, AND defeating Nadal in the final...but nope didn't happen. Let's see how Wimbledon plays out, Nadal trying to win it again, Djokovic defending, Federer trying to achieve another slam, and Murray just trying to win at least ONE.

19-06-2012
tfs star

Okay people, what are your top three women's matches of all time?

19-06-2012

capriati VS clijsters RG 2001

mauresmo VS mary pierce YE championships 2005

elena dementieva VS serena williams wimbledon 2010

hon. mentions--lena vs. capriati-us open semifinal 2004,davenport vs venus-wimby final 2005,mauresmo vs venus-antwerp final 2005,henin vs clijsters aus open final 2004,capriati vs mauresmo-rome final 2004.

Last edited by Scott; 19-06-2012 at 09:31 PM.
28-06-2012
French Chic

LUKAS ROSOL.......just played out of his skin in beating Nadal at Wimbledon.
What a performance.

fashion insider

Wimbledon is on for these next two weeks and Nadal lost today in the second round. It isn't as shocking to me as Federer's defeat last year but still shocking nonetheless.
Posted via Mobile Device

28-06-2012
V.I.P.

i'm really sad about this.

hope federer wins now though i doubt it

V.I.P.

Exciting day! Hope someone other than Roger wins. Fed has 16; Rafa has 11.

Time for some other players to win, and now Rafa's side of the draw is open - Murray? Delpo? Tsonga? Roddick even? Raonic?

I doubt Nole or Fed will be upset (Roger's draw is incredibly soft) so they will likely duke it out for the other finals spot.

But I guess, as today showed, you never know!

28-06-2012
fashion insider

I adore Federer and he's probably my favourite sports man so I want him to win Wimbledon and the Olympics. I mean Wimbledon is like his home and he's just such a lovely guy.

I think Murray is a cert for the final as long as he doesn't crumble under the pressure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, tennis, thread