How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-06-2012
fashion icon

I was at work so I was unable to watch today's match but I've just read the news that Rafa was unseated in the second round. That's so crazy! I'm going to try and watch the highlights now though. I'm a bit disappointed seeing as Rafa is always one of those people I look forward to watching. At least we have the Olympics coming up, so that softens the blow a little bit. It must be a great moment for Lukas Lacko though, perhaps a total game changer for him. And maybe the Brits will have a winner this year if Andy keeps it up... it's been far too long since they've held the title.

28-06-2012
Stitch:the Hand

i'm not so sure how much rafa's loss will bolster andy's chances. of course we'd all love to see him lift a trophy finally and as a national would be fantastic for the country. however,i can't lay all my eggs in the basket simply because rafa is out now. i don't mean to sound so cynical but i can't forget how poor andy's season has been for one but also his head getting in the way at majors.

29-06-2012
fashion icon

^No no, I totally see your point. And I do agree to an extent, I guess I just hope that for once Andy doesn't crack. For now I'm just going to keep hoping that it's going to be England's year (I like to be optimistic about things). I guess my point was that one of the "major players" is out of the running so maybe someone else will get a chance to shine. But then again, I do love a good underdog story, so that could be coloring my view too!

V.I.P.

Just to clarify Yoninah, it was Lukas Rosol who won today, and he played crazy good tennis to beat Rafa!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
29-06-2012
fashion icon

^Ahhh.... sorry! Looks like the website I checked got it wrong! Whoops. And you are so right NPJ, Lukas Rosol totally played crazy good tennis. From the video's of the recaps that I watched it shows that he brought his A-game.

V.I.P.

Sorry about his loss, Yoninah; I know you like to watch him. But you can always watch some reruns of the FO. Also, I agree it would be amazing to see Murray win!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
29-06-2012
rising star

Im kind of happy that Nadal got beaten, maybe its time for somebody new to rise and shine this year. Still, wouldnt mind if Federer wins though *fangirl*

29-06-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
Sorry about his loss, Yoninah; I know you like to watch him. But you can always watch some reruns of the FO. Also, I agree it would be amazing to see Murray win!
Thank you NPJ! Anyways, I like what Rafa said about the match... "Is not a tragedy. It’s only a tennis match.” Very wise words and at least he get's to take a break before the Olympics. I'm sure he needs a rest.

you know everybody made a very big deal about the bump during the match and the complaining but rafa was very gracious in his presser afterward.

btw,there is a lukas lacko playing the tour though...but he's slovak.

29-06-2012
trendsetter

and now Roger lost her 1st set!
same for Novak, but he managed to win!

I enjoy this...it was boring watching the same SFs at every single GS!
Although I know my players are not going to win, even if Nadal, Novak and Roger were out LOL

fashion elite

Federer had me on edge but I'm glad he found the resilience to come back from two sets down.

30-06-2012

pretty anticlimactic the end of that fed match though and utterly disheartening for benneteau. i felt bad he couldn't muster the energy in that final set,at least to give us a proper end to well fought match by both guys.

goodness has petra looked stronger and stronger after that nervous first round. she obliterated lepchenko 0-1 today. looking very much like the defending wimbledon champ now. meanwhile her potential QF opponent serena got into a bit of a pickle with zheng jie.....the latter winning that first set in a somewhat surprisingly lopsided tie-break. she's come back in the second set but i still feel like since the first round--in fact since her loss to razzano--there's something really off with her footwork and her return off jie's serve was atrocious. i have to say if things transpire as they should and serena keeps playing at this level petra has a chance against her. petra's been very eager to play serena again since she lost to her in the semis in 2010.

Last edited by Scott; 30-06-2012 at 09:50 AM.
06-07-2012
fashion icon

I'm happy for Andy Murray, but he's going to have tough competition from Federer. Though it would be nice to see Murray win it -- God knows the Brits deserve to win something.

06-07-2012

me too. that's one historical obstacle conquered for a brit and britain. but let's hope he can live up to that history against roger on grass. it's a challenge but he does have plenty of wins so who knows?

btw,pretty sweet seeing J-W pull out the single-handed backhand today....even hitting through it. makes me wonder why on earth it's not what he plays with exclusively? it definitely seems a natural shot for him and pretty effective at that. and darren cahill today was also remarking on that he actually uses that backhand almost exclusively during practice sessions.

06-07-2012
fashion icon

I'm so thrilled for Andy... it's a special moment for him! And such a huge moment for Britain, I hope that he is able to carry all that weight on his shoulders with grace and courage and to take home the title. It's shaping up to be quite a year for the Brit's, isn't it?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, tennis, thread