How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-07-2012
fashion insider

I'm really happy for Andy but even happier for Federer. He's coming towards the end of his career but to think he can play as great as he did yesterday despite being in his 30s is incredible. I think if Andy was up against anyone else he would truly have everyone backing him but I think the country has a real soft spot for Roger. It should be a great match though.
Posted via Mobile Device

07-07-2012
fashion icon

^ Yes, I agree. I often find it difficult to remain loyal to just one tennis player. I think a lot of the time I find myself leaning either way. I'd be glad to see either Andy or Roger win. Andy because it would be his first Wimbledon and Roger because it's been a while since he won something major. It's amazing to see that he can still school someone as young as Novak or Andy at this stage in his career.

08-07-2012
fashion icon

Damn, Federer is incredible but Murray put up an incredible fight.

08-07-2012
V.I.P.

What an emotional final. Seeing Andy in tears all choked up and unable to speak broke my heart. Great final, well played by both of them and congratulations to Federer on his seventh Wimbledon win!

08-07-2012
fashion insider

I was thrilled for Federer and Murray has finally grown on me. He put his heart and soul into that final and shouldn't feel ashamed in losing.

08-07-2012
V.I.P.

I am utterly gutted for Andy Murray. I hope he comes back stronger from this; I do think Lendl has had a positive impact on his game. I can't imagine anyone not moved by his touching speech.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/tennis...9331--ten.html

Come on Andy we need NEW people winning the slams!! Bounce back. I want to see Andy and Nole at the very top!!

As for the women's it was also disappointing for me. i would have loved to see Aggie win her first slam.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
08-07-2012
fashion icon

I'm so upset with the results of the men's finals... I was so rooting for Andy Murray. I like Federer enough and am impressed that he was able to get a seventh Wimbledon championship but still... isn't it time that someone else won? Though it's clear that both men played a great game, even if I'm a little bitter about the results. And I do believe that Andy's time will come... that he will come back stronger then ever! And please tell me I wasn't the only one who teared up when Andy gave his speech? It was so touching and so sad to watch at the same time.

tfs star

^ No I was tearing up too, especially when the camera showed his weeping mother.
I wasn't expecting him to cry since he never shows any particular emotion - he's very focused but he can take consolation in the fact that he lost to a sporting genius and a genuinely likeable guy. Us Brits can't be mad at Federer, like pixiedust1603 said. There's always next year!

Stitch:the Hand

you know,for me i've never been overly taken by murray's personality but the way he endeared himself today my mind has changed.

and to see andy come out the way he did,with all the weight of the UK on his shoulders and almost seem oblivious by it all,i was immensely impressed with. definitely seems to be a new and improved murray on the horizon if he can take this as a springboard and use it as motivation to continue playing confidently.

09-07-2012
V.I.P.

Roger killed it!! Congrats!
he totally deserved it

09-07-2012

well,petra,vika,maria and sam stosur are all up for ESPY awards this year. even though hands down this should go to petra kvitova for her 2011 season,i'm sure due to these awards being a virtual popularity contest it will go undoubtedly to maria as it always has if it wasn't serena. which isn't a knock on maria at all but i think she should be in the category of best comeback not best player. one final versus li na's french open victory and and AO final run being ignored is a crying shame. and the fact that maria is in the best overall female athlete category is kind of absurd to me because 2011 she had a great comeback but a much storied struggle on the big stages. how does that justify being nominated in that? and i'm really baffled that neither,kvitova,li na nor sam stosur were recognized for best breakthrough. li na especially for what she did as a chinese national.

http://espn.go.com/espys/voting?vote=8083189&lang=en

just click down on the category column on the right-hand top corner to look for the tennis categories.

Last edited by Scott; 09-07-2012 at 07:36 PM.
10-07-2012
V.I.P.

^Is the eligibility period 2011 calendar year or June 2011 through May 2012? If it's the latter, then Maria undoubtedly deserves to win. If it's the former, then I think Vika should win (I'll count AO anyway, lol).

okay i had to go back and check how these definitively work. these are for the preceding calendar year preceding a given annual event. which means vika and maria's triumphs this year will count here as well. okay,i apologize for that. still you can't overlook kvitova's magnificent 2011 over two separate winners in 2012. to me it makes things a little too complicated.

that's why i don't know if like this whole voting aspect because i see so many fans who refuse to acknowledge the accomplishments of other players for their favourites. maria is the most popular player alongside serena williams,in this country,especially.....i think that gives girls like them an unfair advantage here. and given ESPN's general lack of professionalism,that's probably why they implemented this and why no other player outside maria,serena and venus have won this in the last 12 years.

to me the espy's are the sport equivalent of the grammy's pomp and circumstance.....as shallow as shallow can get.

Last edited by Scott; 10-07-2012 at 11:10 AM.
11-07-2012
fashion insider

I am back from my tfs vacation and I missed arguing about Wimbledon with you guys!

Personally I thought this was one of the best Wimbledons in years. With Rosol throwing a spanner in the works, and Sharapova going out early it was constantly surprising.

I've really come to admire Aga Radwanska in recent months. I guess I like the sort of player who can overcome seeming physical shortcomings and maximises their game. This was why I like Henin so much. Now I'm not saying Aga is at the level of Henin (or Hingis to whom she is regularly compared) but it's definitely fun to see someone with a contrasting game-style up against the big hitters. I was just pleased to see that she wasn't whitewashed against the incredible serving and play of Serena in the final.

Obviously for those that know me, I was overjoyed to see Federer get another title and most importantly regain the no.1 spot at the age of thirty. And that's despite feeling really bad for Andy Murray not being able to get the job done. The British are just desperate for someone from here to win Wimbledon again. It was a weird situation in that final because no matter how much people wanted Andy to do it they love Roger as well.

I guess I feel that aside from Olympic singles gold there isn't much left for Federer to achieve at this point. I would be happy to see Murray win the US Open - Fed's right, he does deserve at least one.

11-07-2012

you know i was thinking about this in comparison with hingis......aga has done something that hingis never did as the game evolved nor when she returned to the game in 2005....and that is,improving her own game. her serve is better and her groundies are stronger. radwanska to me is a much better player than hingis ever would be in this generation which leads to be hypothesize the notion that if you took aga and put her in hingis' era,would she have been a better player...would she have been a more successful player?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, tennis, thread