How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-07-2012
Stitch:the Hand

seriously,espn should really think about just changing their female player award to the sharapova or serena williams award because no one else even gets recognized. i feel like the other nominees are mere filler to bolster their significance as a genuine award.

12-07-2012
tfs star

Congratulations to Serena Williams and Roger Federer. I was definitely expecting a Sharapova-Serena final, but Maria went out early, props to my girl Serena winning, beating Kvitova, and Azarenka easily (I expected a tougher fight from those two), YES SERENA WON, take that all you naysayers after she lost in the 1st round of RG, you really think she would just go away from the game like that?. She also won doubles with Venus!.

Roger is such a legend, not my favorite player, but props to him, I was suprised he beat Djokovic, and in shock that Nadal lost early. Too bad Murray didn't win, it would have been a great moment in tennis to watch.

14-07-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
you know i was thinking about this in comparison with hingis......aga has done something that hingis never did as the game evolved nor when she returned to the game in 2005....and that is,improving her own game. her serve is better and her groundies are stronger. radwanska to me is a much better player than hingis ever would be in this generation which leads to be hypothesize the notion that if you took aga and put her in hingis' era,would she have been a better player...would she have been a more successful player?
That is a very interesting question and one which I'm hard pressed to answer.

We know that Hingis struggled towards the latter stages of her career with the new power game of the Williams sisters. Her comeback was relatively successful but only to a point and she still faced the same conundrum, which she was never able to satisfactorily solve.

I wouldn't say Aga has solved that problem either. But unlike Hingis she has played most of her career in a 'post-Williams' era where a lot of the girls hit harder than they ever did before. So perhaps she is more accustomed to dealing with it than Martina and would have had similar, if not greater, success.

I see a lot of talk about how Hingis was a much better thinker on court than Aga and that Aga gets too much credit for it. It's so hard to say. Her anticipation is fantastic which looks impressive when she able to counterpunch against the more one-note ballbashers. But maybe Serena doesn't get enough credit for being a good on-court thinker. Married with her power game it's unstoppable at times. She could have crumbled in that 3rd set against Aga but she figured out where it was going wrong and put an end to it.

14-07-2012

see i think that's where aga shines her brightest compared with hingis...her anticipation. aga gets her racquet on many more balls than i ever recall from hingis. and she quite often hits good shots at that. it is difficult to gauge who is better as a thinker but to give aga a boost,to be able to counter that amount of power and still construct her points the way she does,at this point,it's hard not to think aga has a bit more going for her.

i do agree with you about serena. it's an attribute about her that i think gets lost in all the commentary of her game,as if to say she's that one-dimensional. no. not only is serena a thinker but i find her quite versatile as a player as well. the way she changed her tactics,and started working the points more in that third set was evident of those abilities i believe.

i just wanted to say a huge congrats to jennifer capriati and guga kuerten on their inductions into the hall of fame today. jen was very emotional when speaking on the adversity and the difficulties she's faced these last few years and maintaining that yearning to return. i couldn't help feeling for her as i know it's been tough for her having to end it not on her terms. monica gave jen her intro but i missed it,unfortunately. and guga's mum gave him a very moving intro as well. it was really sweet and very personal. loved it. guga was very humble as always and was really taken by the honour.

Last edited by Scott; 14-07-2012 at 09:43 PM.
17-07-2012
tfs star

So I was bored and decided to do some stats look ups. I'm a fan of Venus and Serena so I was curious as to what their head to head combined record is against big players.

DAVENPORT 24-17
HINGIS 17-17
DEMENTIEVA 16-8
HENIN 15-8
MAURESMO 15-5
CAPRIATI 14-7
CLIJSTERS 13-9
SELES 13-2
PIERCE 12-4
SHARAPOVA 11-6
IVANOVIC 11-1
JANKOVIC 10-10
KUZNETSOVA 10-6
AZARENKA 10-1
VICARIO 9-7
GRAF 4-3
KVITOVA 4-1

*Interesting facts, Jankovic and Hingis are tied with them.

17-07-2012

yeah JJ remarkably is the only active player who has a strong record against both. of course,they all happened when JJ was playing her best in the 2007-08 seasons.

another interesting aspect in that too is how much both sisters matched-up differently with certain players. lindsay davenport,for instance,had a much better h2h against venus(13-14)whereas elena dementieva played her best against serena(5-7). otherwise,lena would simply get overwhelmed by venus' wingspan. amelie and kim clijsters also played better against venus but never serena.

Last edited by Scott; 17-07-2012 at 10:04 PM.
20-07-2012

hey guys i was just looking and this year's olympics this will be the first we've ever had more than two players bearing flag duties. novak djokovic,tsvetana pironkova,maria sharapova,agnieszka radwanska,max mirnyi,marcos baghdatis,stephanie vogt and horia tecau. and with rafa pulling out quite unfortunately,that would have made it 9 players.

so far the bigger nations like the US or GB haven't announced their flag bearers. i'm really supporting they bestowing the honor to serena and with what andy murray just did,as an outsider i can't imagine anybody else. but i bet on the american side,somebody like hope solo,phelps or that lochte will get it though.

btw,super news yesterday....amelie mauresmo was announced as the replacement for nicolas escude as fed cup captain!!! and she says,in that typically honest momo way,that don't expect miracles at this point but she did go on to say she is very keen and committed to getting marion bartoli back on the squad again. i think mauresmo will be able to convey herself in a more thoughtful manner than the petulant way escude went about things. and marion in-turn,last week,expressed her undying support of mauresmo taking the position as captain so it gives us hope.

Last edited by Scott; 20-07-2012 at 06:28 PM.
21-07-2012
trendsetter

yeah, I'm gonna enjoy watching them representing their country, that shows how big tennis is in Europe imo.

I think GB will chose a cyclist, and Andy is a great player, but he hasn't won a GS yet so, I'm not even sure he deserves it, if I'm honest.
In Spain there is a "law" to decide who will do it, although they didn't apply it at all but, maybe some other countries have this kind of "laws" too.

Btw, has Serena won a medal at the Olympics before? In 2008 we had 3 russians at the podium and I don't remember who won in 2004!

^she did in doubles(sydney and beijing) but never in singles has she progressed beyond the QF. beijing she was ousted by elena dementieva,athens she missed and at sydney i believe she was forced to pull out of singles.

justine henin won gold,amelie mauresmo won silver and aussie alicia molik won bronze in 2004

Last edited by Scott; 21-07-2012 at 04:20 PM.
21-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
their head to head combined record
- Um, but doesn't it seem kind of unfair to the opponents listed to have their individual record put up in a H2H against TWO players? After all, Serena and Venus are two separate tennis players with different styles and likely different records versus various opponents. But it's interesting to see nonetheless.

---------------------

Shame about Rafa's knees and his withdrawal from the Olympics.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
21-07-2012
trendsetter

Thanks Scott

I was so happy when Dementieva won in Beijing, she is my dad's favourite player, and even though I loved/hated her game, I always thought she was such a classy player and person.

I heard Rafa is not going to play until the US Open! I don't know, he obviously needs some rest, but I think he should try to play at least a tournament before the USO, just to test himself.
I'm not his fan, at all, but I remember how bad I felt back in 2008 when Maria couldn't play at the Olympics and it makes me feel bad for him.
Now I hope Roger can win and complete his Career Golden Slam! He is not my favourite player, but I want him to win everything, and a gold medal is the only thing he hasn't won yet. Because winning the Davis Cup is not even an option for him.

V.I.P.

Quote:
"I heard Rafa is not going to play until the US Open! "
Where did you hear this? Wow, the knees must be very bad if true.

As for Roger winning everything, please please, no. He has enough. More than enough. I want OTHERS to win the bigger events, i.e., the Olympics, Masters, USO, WTF, etc. And not just this year, but going forward too.

Murray is sooo overdue for a big title/slam. Would love to see Nole get a gold medal as he is very patriotic, probably the most of all the top players i'd hasten to guess (but of course who knows). I would like to see Tsonga and/or Delpo win some slams, and Ferrer needs a bigger title - for how hard he works, at least a masters! Those are my wishes for the tennis gods.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
21-07-2012
trendsetter

It's been said he has to rest at least 2 weeks, but an spanish journalist said he needs even more time, and he won't be playing until the USO. Maybe he is wrong, but he's a great journalist and really close to Rafa, so I believe him.

I absolutely agree about Ferrer! He might not be the most talented player, but he works soooo hard! And, I met him twice and he's the nicest guy. I know being nice is not a reason to win, but I can't help being biased

V.I.P.

Awwwwwwwww, too adorable that you met Daveed. Lucky girl! We can wish together, then, that he gets a big title soon.

21-07-2012

anaa...for all the talk about clijsters being the nicest person and all(and she is),i still feel that lena and mauresmo are the classiest,most gracious women this sport was ever bestowed. there was no pretense...no arrogance....no ego.....one iota with them. i still remember when dementieva came here to my area for a fed cup tie versus the united states,how she took time out to participate in a clinic with some of our local kids. and she was on the opposing team. you don't ever hear that much happening with opposing teams. and momo....one of the first people i ever remember rushing to the aid of an opponent following a health scare. michaela kraijcek had some sort of heat illness during their match at australia and she wasn't looking good....they had all the blood pressure equipment out and everything. she actually had to be wheeled off the court. momo skipped her on-court interviews and everything to make sure kraijcek was okay.

petra kvitova has a bit of what those two had and i think that's probably why i'm very keen on her.

Last edited by Scott; 21-07-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, tennis, thread