How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-07-2012
V.I.P.

I was totally depressed when Dementieva retired without a slam. I wanted her to get one so badly, and she had a great chance, she played SUCH a good match versus Serena at Wimbledon in 2009. I was totally depressed when she lost that match. I am not a huge fan of either Serena or Venus (though i prefer Venus), so I moped around for the whole day after that. Sigh...tennis nut.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

21-07-2012
Stitch:the Hand

i haven't heard much lena since she got married last summer....i hope she's doing well and her dreams of a family life are beginning to parallel with her retirement intentions. i agree it's a shame she didn't get a major but like many eastern europeans and especially in russia,i think winning both a gold and silver medal at two different olympic games probably satisfies her more than anything. i think after her win in beijing she said something along the lines that it was her ultimate goal....and with that,i can't be too disappointed. i still would have liked her to....she had the greatest opportunity at RG against schiavone but unfortunately got injured.

btw,did i forget to mention that both lena and momo also happened to my faves?

Last edited by Scott; 21-07-2012 at 11:17 PM.
22-07-2012
trendsetter

Now it's official, I've only read/heard good things about Dementieva!

The Spanish team came to my hometown to play against Italy a few years ago, and since that day I support Ferrer and Robredo like a crazy person! They were super nice. Those 3 days are also the reason why I will never suppot Verdasco
David had a good few weeks during the "grass season", let's see if he can do the same at the Olympics!

^hehe! i think that's why when dementieva announced her retirement at the YE championships,not a single player had a dry eye. the girl honestly had immense respect from all her peers.

btw,anxiously anticipating draw announcements for the olympics thursday!!! on the women's side,really difficult to see past serena,petra and aga radwanska at this juncture but all will really depend on the draw. i just hope kvitova gets a better one than she did at wimbledon. right now on the men's side,i'm not going to say it's secure but roger definitely looks favorable to win gold.....the other medals could be a toss-up. murray or novak for silver....and with nadal out,what a grande opportunity for tsonga or berdych.

Last edited by Scott; 24-07-2012 at 11:40 PM.
25-07-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
right now on the men's side,i'm not going to say it's secure but roger definitely looks favorable to win gold.....the other medals could be a toss-up. murray or novak for silver....and with nadal out,what a grande opportunity for tsonga or berdych.
I'll be interested to see how differently this plays out compared to the normal Wimbledon. Best of three sets means more danger for the top guys if they meet someone firing on all cylinders on the day (e.g. Roger vs Benneteau from a few weeks ago would have a different conclusion). Much more likely to get a surprise winner here than at a slam.

I'm looking forward to the draws, especially because there's that added twist of no-one from the same country allowed to be drawn in the same quarter.

25-07-2012

it hadn't even occurred to me the 3-set component. that changes my feeling a bit more now. especially mentioning that benneteau match. very intriguing indeed!

26-07-2012

draw is out! and much to my relief kvitova is in the bottom half with radwanska and would likely face sharapova in the semis. vika and serena are on the top half....unfortunate for vika.

http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/r...s-singles.aspx

26-07-2012

btw here's the men's too.....it's such a big oops on my part. i can't explain why i only think about the women all the time

http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/r...s-singles.aspx

the bottom half is really loaded. novak,tsonga,murray and berdych are all in that section.

26-07-2012
V.I.P.

Yes, too bad for Aza. Sharapova has a pretty manageable quarter.

The men's draw is extremely lopsided, with a very difficult bottom half for both Murray and especially Djokovic. Federer, meanwhile, will likely waltz to the final, with the most difficult opponent in his quarter being Tipsarevic. Ferrer/Delpo should meet in the other quarter.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
26-07-2012
fashion insider

I want Federer to finally win a singles Olympic Gold. I think I'll also use the Olympics to try get interested in the Women's tour again.

26-07-2012

NPJ....however,sharapova does have lisicki in her quarter who just beat her at wimbledon....yikes!! of course different pressure this time with this being about their country,so who knows what can happen. and she does have clijsters too but it's just a question which clijsters will be present.

26-07-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
The men's draw is extremely lopsided, with a very difficult bottom half for both Murray and especially Djokovic. Federer, meanwhile, will likely waltz to the final, with the most difficult opponent in his quarter being Tipsarevic. Ferrer/Delpo should meet in the other quarter.
Wow, Murray drew Wawrinka in the first round. That's tough. Well Stan's carrying the Swiss flag so maybe his arms will be tired! Definitely a bottom heavy draw.

But Fed's draw is not so simple either. First round is Falla who came within points of beating him at Wimbledon in 2010. And potential second round against Benneteau who also took him to five sets this year.

28-07-2012

Aga!!! she looked so proud

and why does maria look like she's posing for cheesy travel brochure?

*facebook.com/wta

28-07-2012

first upset of the day....berdych went out to giraldo. i suppose that's the thing about best of three sets. that now puts the czech hopes on kvitova,who may be a bit more mentally tough at this point than berdych is,anyhow.

Last edited by Scott; 28-07-2012 at 07:55 AM.
28-07-2012
fashion insider

Berdych's not having a good year on the grass is he? Shocker. Oh and he lost to Steve Darcis; Harrison lost to Giraldo. Well, that's one less danger man in Murray's quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Aga!!! she looked so proud

and why does maria look like she's posing for cheesy travel brochure?
Aga looked great! She seems to have taken a couple of inches off her skirt compared to everyone else.

And Masha manages to pull off her outfit I think.

Great to see so many tennis players (especially carrying the flags) in the parade last night.

Last edited by Chaky; 28-07-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, tennis, thread