How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

24-06-2012
backstage pass

I always think it's funny when people talk about who "deserved" to win. In reality, if you have the majority of the possession, outnumbered your opponent in chances, and yet didn't score more goals than your opponent, then you didn't "deserve" to win. (Egregious ref calls notwithstanding.)

In the end, Italy deserved to win because they scored more penalties, not because they dominated in regulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki09 View Post
For all the Spain haters can you honestly say the England-Italy game was more entertaining?
Personally I found the ENG-ITA match much more entertaining despite the lack of goals. But I don't agree with those that are criticizing Spain. They did what they had to do to win. I'm sure they don't like hearing people think they played a boring game but, in the end, all that matters is the result. If they had played a more open and therefore more entertaining game then France would have had many more chances to counter and they might have made good on them. Spain knew what they had to do and they did it. I can't fault them for that.

24-06-2012
V.I.P.

congrats to italy my second fave after Spain

24-06-2012
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedur View Post
I always think it's funny when people talk about who "deserved" to win. In reality, if you have the majority of the possession, outnumbered your opponent in chances, and yet didn't score more goals than your opponent, then you didn't "deserve" to win. (Egregious ref calls notwithstanding.)

In the end, Italy deserved to win because they scored more penalties, not because they dominated in regulation.

Personally I found the ENG-ITA match much more entertaining despite the lack of goals. But I don't agree with those that are criticizing Spain. They did what they had to do to win. I'm sure they don't like hearing people think they played a boring game but, in the end, all that matters is the result. If they had played a more open and therefore more entertaining game then France would have had many more chances to counter and they might have made good on them. Spain knew what they had to do and they did it.
I can't fault them for that.
Very true. I agree with both your points.

24-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:

Your comment made me laugh because it's something I agree with even though I can't help but use this expression. That's the great thing about football: the law of the strongest doesn't equal the law of the field.

25-06-2012
tfs star

Quote:
For all the Spain haters can you honestly say the England-Italy game was more entertaining?
Yes, at least in this game both teams had clear chances, in Spain v France only both goals and stop counting.

Quote:

Finally someone made sense in this thread.
Quote:
Final: Portugal vs. Italy
Im leaning more towards Spain v Italy, but I don't see Spain as strong so it could very well like you put it.

25-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:

I would agree and disagree. I agree in the sense that Italy, despite creating so many chances were unable to make a good finish and find the net. On that, they need to sort it out quickly before their game against Germany. At the same time, I tend to judge who deserves to win based on the quality of play. In this game, what England mostly did was focus on the defense and counter-attack. In that sense, I don't think a team that plays like that deserves to win because it's not beautiful to see.

I know many will say football all comes down to the final score but I personally like to put emphasis on the quality of play. But yes hedur you're right on the fact it's not enough to deserve to win.

Seriously, watching this match, my worst fear would have been for England to pass through the next round! It would have been the worse thing ever considering they were really really bad. And boy do I hate this Caroll dude, and he got owned many times by the Italians hihi!

And on a final note, boy did I felt bad for Montelivo when he missed his penalty, I thought it was over for Italy. And when Pirlo went on, he looked so damn nervous! I am glad at least that now the coach knows which players have the nerves and the calm to do penalties.

Having a game sorted out this way is just so awful and it comes down to nerves and luck. I was so damn happy when Buffon managed to stop Cole's penalty!!! Wohooo!

That being said, I simply CANNOT wait for their game against Germany, it will not be as easy this time. But at the same time, Germany are not as intense defensively as England so we'll see what happen. I really hope Thiago Motta feels better and replaces Montelivo who wasn't so awesome in making strategic passes.

25-06-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
I am not a Spain hater and I live in Spain and I was over the moon when they won in 2008 and 2010 but YES, the England-Italy game was way more interesting than the Spain-France game - of course they only do what they have to do but that doesn't mean it's entertaining

@deserving debate: the team that marks more goals deserves to go through yes - but: sometimes you can see teams trying and fighting so hard and a "lucky goal" decides every now and then or a wrong referee decision that I tend to think in deserving & undeserving - but ultimately it is up to every team: if you can't manage to score more than your opponent you are not deserving to win...simple, unless emotions are involved

Last edited by jomarlushka; 25-06-2012 at 02:29 AM.

25-06-2012
backstage pass

if it went down to penalties, the italians were going to win

luigi buffon is still tops
but how many chances did balotelli have....the last one
he tripped and fell, all alone.

you waste chances like that....

the germans have been steam rolling teams.
they took it easy on greece and didnt want to score any more.
they have yet to loose a game and yet to tie.
won them all.

when you think about it, the the two teams that reach the Champions league finals. Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid
are basically the two teams that will meet for the EuroCup

Spain vs Germany
with players switched around.

the problem with Spain was best put by this tweet.
"A mi no me engañan, Torres es otro falso nueve"
"you don't fool me, Torres is another false number 9"

del bosque needs to realize he doesnt have messi on his team.
they can pass all they want but they lack someone who will face their opponents and go in to score.

that tactic only work for Pep.
if they at least had villa.
too many midfielders passing the ball around, no scorers.
take out Torres, put in Llorente

the line up should be.
Casillas
Arbeloa, Ramos, Pique, Javi Martinez
Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi, Busquets
Llorente, Pedro

25-06-2012
V.I.P.

Eng-Ita was one of the most exciting matches i've seen so far. I'm rooting for Germany-Italy in the finals, both deserve it but I guess Germany will win it though..

25-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
YES it was. It wasn't boring at all. I had many oooe aah moments especially by the Italians. BTW, that penalty from Cole was really bad.
I don't hate Spain, but they are playing lazy and not with fire.

That expression "deserve to win" goes both sides. I don't know if you playing a sport, cause I do and it's frustrating when you're the better team but can't put it out in the score and the others make a lucky one for example.
IMO:
If team A create many chances and the others are only defending and wait for the counter and do nothing, then you can say team A deserve to win consedering how they PLAY.
But in the end it doesn't matter who deserves to win by how they PLAY. Cause the one with the MOST GOALS wins and that's the one who did make their chances even if it is with one counter goal. And if you don't score one of your chances then you don't deserve to win and then is team B the one who deserves to win cause they do score.

So imo you can easily say that a team deserves to win by how they play. But like I said the real winner is the one that score the goals and that's in the end the one that deserve to win, cause the other team should have make their goals.

I hope our neighbours win! Germany should not have any problem with Italy.
@anable: they can't be both in the final! Cause they are playing against each other in the semi final!

GO GERMANYYYY!!

Last edited by Forrest; 25-06-2012 at 04:52 AM.

25-06-2012
V.I.P.

Oh I didn't know that.. Thanks for the heads up Forrest! Pity, would have been amazing.

25-06-2012
V.I.P.

id love to see spain in the finals but i am not sure about Spain-Portugal... Spain deserved to win against France but they did play it a bit "relaxed" soo i wonder if they will bring out their best when against Portugal soon....

as for italy vs germany, i bet the germans will win. they seem pretty formidable this year.

25-06-2012
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorien View Post
if it went down to penalties, the italians were going to win
the problem with Spain was best put by this tweet.
"A mi no me engañan, Torres es otro falso nueve"
"you don't fool me, Torres is another false number 9"

del bosque needs to realize he doesnt have messi on his team.
they can pass all they want but they lack someone who will face their opponents and go in to score.

that tactic only work for Pep.
if they at least had villa.
too many midfielders passing the ball around, no scorers.
take out Torres, put in Llorente

the line up should be.
Casillas
Arbeloa, Ramos, Pique, Javi Martinez
Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi, Busquets
Llorente, Pedro
Lol. That tweet pretty much says it all. No offence to Torres but Llorente would have done a better job. Del Bosque really needs to make use of him. I also think that Naval should start, he provides something extra when he comes on.

25-06-2012
V.I.P.

I felt bad for England... it has been a long time since they last won and they were THIS close this year
Posted via Mobile Device

25-06-2012
V.I.P.

Germany is going to win this Euro without any doubt and IMO rightfully so. They play good football and are saving their strength (playing just as much as they need to). I think Spain will have big problems with Portugal and might actually be in a risk. TBH, i don't fancy their game at this Euro, find it boring and, as already mentioned, without spirit.

All in all, GO GERMANY!!!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, euro, uefa