How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-10-2006
front row

I can't decide if I like "Ugly Betty" or not. I mean the ending is always the same: Betty comes to rescue.

13-10-2006
fashion insider

Well, it... it's.... it's.... a waste of time! The show is just scary, the facts are just so not true, basically I just think that they made the fashion industry sound and look so awful, vulgar, and cheap. Just a waste of time to watch this kind of show.

unknown
13-10-2006
Fashionably Late

I really like America and think she is great in this. I am entertained by the show as well. However, the show sort of feels like a ABC Family movie of the week (anyone who has ever watched them knows what I mean, I'm sure). I am trying to picture this show being on the air for several years, and I just cannot do it.

13-10-2006
V.I.P.

OMG!!! The episodes are posted on the ABC website for free!!!

But satisfaction brought it back
13-10-2006
windowshopping

When I first heard about this show I was skeptical it would work. I've read that TV producers have been wanting to do this for awhile now because soap operas are huge in Latin America and they want in. Personally, I think one of the reasons why they're so popular is because the soap operas have a BEGINNING and an END. The audience knows that in 5-7 months a new one will come along (that's what I like about it!). Rarely will a soap opera drag on for a year ('Rebelde' comes to mind). Plus, the protagonist ALWAYS wins and lives happlily ever after.

From what I've heard, the original was really good and really funny. There may be things in 'Ugly Betty' that pays tribute to the original, but for some people it just may go over their head. If you're not familiar with Latin American soaps, the format of 'Ugly Betty' may seem "different". I liked how in the first episode they took the piss out of Latin American soaps LOL. Kudos to Salma Hayek who even brought along some famous soap opera actors in the parody.

I'm content watching the Mexican version, 'La Fea Mas Bella'. Many people hate on Mexican soap operas, but I don't mind them

14-10-2006
Fashionably Late

Ugly Is Sitting Pretty

Congratulations are in order for Ugly Betty star America Ferrera and the show's producer, Miz Salma Hayek!
ABC has just picked up a full season of their breakout show, a resounding success for the net.
Betty is only the third new series to received a full season pick-up, joining NBC's Heroes and CBS' Jericho.
Before the beginning of the season, ABC shifted Ugly Betty from an under-exposed Friday evening time period, to the ultra-competitive 8 p.m. Thursday slot that has killed many a fledgling show. Instead, "Ugly Betty" has averaged more than 15 million viewers per episode. In addition, the show has given ABC a 96 percent bump in total viewers and a 92 percent boost among adults 18-49 over the network's performance in the hour last season. "In just two weeks 'Ugly Betty' has given us an impressive foothold leading into the 'Grey's Anatomy' hour on Thursday night," says ABC Entertainment President Stephen McPherson. "The show has proven to be competitive in a very strong time period, and we're thrilled with 'Ugly Betty's' performance."
Hopefully we will start seeing more Latinos on mainstream American television real soon!
Things just haven't been the same since Will & Grace (and Karen's maid) left the air!

source: perezhilton.com

14-10-2006
fashion icon

I like this show too!! You can watch the episodes for free at abc.com

14-10-2006
Fashionably Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess
I like this show too!! You can watch the episodes for free at abc.com
Which, in my opinion, is a VERY smart idea on ABC's part. I hope other channels start doing the same!

14-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmesweet
I kinda feel bad on how ugly they made her look... God, dress sense!!
i didn't even think she dressed terribly at all
isn't this how some people like to dress nowadays
it's kind of like the granny style trend

14-10-2006
Fashionably Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius
i didn't even think she dressed terribly at all
isn't this how some people like to dress nowadays
it's kind of like the granny style trend
Oh good Lord! If this show sparks fashion trends like Sex and the City did, for instance, I am moving...to another planet!!!

14-10-2006
V.I.P.

^actually i think that would be so cute!
ugly betty followers

14-10-2006
Fashionably Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius
^actually i think that would be so cute!
ugly betty followers
Followers of her attitude would be awesome!

14-10-2006
V.I.P.

I think the moral of Ugly Betty is , no matter how unattractive, average looking you are it is intelligence, smarts, good natured and respect that outweighs the superficial materialistic attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fashion
Well, it... it's.... it's.... a waste of time! The show is just scary, the facts are just so not true, basically I just think that they made the fashion industry sound and look so awful, vulgar, and cheap. Just a waste of time to watch this kind of show.

Last edited by smartarse; 14-10-2006 at 06:27 PM.
17-10-2006
front row

Inside 'Ugly Betty''s Closet!

Lime green with red, prints with plaids, large bows at the neck, lots of vests and not a natural fiber in her closet -- these are the things of which "Ugly Betty"'s wardrobe is made.

"Betty loves color," series star AMERICA FERRERA tells ET on the set of the hit ABC series about Betty, a plain Jane who wants nothing more than to land a job in the high-pressure magazine world in New York City. To her chagrin -- because she has no interest in fashion -- she is hired as the assistant to the editor of a high-fashion magazine and quickly learns that, to the superficial and beautiful people she has to deal with, looks are everything.

"It is a lot of fun to play a character where I can let go of all the appearance issues," America continues. "If there is food in my teeth, good, use it in the scene. I never feel self-conscious when I am Betty."

Fab fashionista PATRICIA FIELD -- who spent five years dressing SARAH JESSICA PARKER, KIM CATTRALL, KRISTIN DAVIS and CYNTHIA NIXON on the fashion-forward "Sex and the City" -- is the costume designer responsible for creating Betty's look. Pat's goal was to make Betty stand out, without turning her into a cartoon character. It wasn't easy, but she got it just right.

"Dressing somebody ugly is not easy," says America, who had to try on many, many wardrobe items as she morphed into Betty. "For a designer it goes against instinct."

Of course, it requires more than mismatched clothing -- get this, some of the items are actually designer duds -- to get the Betty look. America also puts on red glasses, braces and bushier eyebrows.

"The glasses are really sexy on anybody else without everything [that goes into being Betty]. The hair doesn't look so bad when I don't have everything. Individually, everything doesn't look so bad. It is when you put it all together; she is this explosion of crazy ideas," the "Ugly Betty" star reveals.

ETOnline

17-10-2006
V.I.P.

Eric Mabius is HOT.

Do you think he and Betty will get together eventually/

But satisfaction brought it back
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abc, betty, primetime, ugly