How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-07-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
I agree... Ryan Gosling is a very good actor... minus his little.. whatever it was in Murder by Numbers.

as for Joaquin... i HATED him so much in Gladiator.. which just proves that he did a good job of being the bad guy...
Exactly.

20-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain
I know I'm crazy with the Tom thing but ya'll gotta see Interview with the Vampire and read the book. True he does overstate his public life more than his movies, but it's sad that, I feel, as one of America's greatests actors that everyone thinks he can't act. He did Lestat de Lioncourt perfectly.

Also, this thread isn't just for males - actors AND actresses. I assume actors describes both now or am I just crazy?
Yes, actors can describe both. And So far the only girl we've posted is Claire Danes. ANy one think any other girls are underrated?

20-07-2005
scenester

Cate Blanchett, she doesn't get the recognition she deserves.

Also, for a guy, Steve Buscemi. He's WONDERFUL.

20-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain
Cate Blanchett, she doesn't get the recognition she deserves.

Also, for a guy, Steve Buscemi. He's WONDERFUL.
Don't get me wrong, I think that Cate Blanchett is a brilliant actress (she;s one of my favorites), but she does get a lot of regonition for her work. She's won an Academy Award, 2 BAFTA Awards, an Australian Film Institute Award, 2 Broadcast Film Critics Association awards,a Chicago Film Critics Association award,an Empire Award, a Film Critics Circle of Australia award,a Florida Film Critics Award,a Golden Camera Award, a Golden Globe (and she's been nominated for 3 others), A Golden Satellite award (and 3 other nominations), a Kansas City Critics Circle award, a Las Vegas Film Critics Society Award (and 2 other noms), a London Film Critics Circle Award, 2 National Board of Review Awards, 3 Online Film Critics Society awards, 2 Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards (and 2 other noms), 2 Screen Actors Guild Awards (and 3 other noms), a Southeastern Film Critics Association award, and a Toranto Film Critics Association award (phew!).She has six filmsa in the works, and everyone I know thinks she's brilliant. I think she gets pleanty of recognition.

An actress who has been getting a lot of press for neing a "young starlet" and
an "up and comer", who I think is underrated is Emmy Rossum. I've heard her referred to as a "flash in the pan" who's just getting her 15 minutes of fame, but I think she's one of the most exciting talents to come along in several years. She's mostly known for "The Phantom of the Opera" ( a sinnfully underrated film, IMO) and she was the best part of it. She was really cheated out of an Oscar nomination for that. But that film only scratches the surface of her talent and versitility. After I saw it, I rented some of her other films. "The Day After Tomorrow" was a mediocre film, but she really stood out as someone to watch. She played Sean Penn's dead daughter in "Mystic River", where she showed her rebellious "bad-girl" side (getting drunk, running away from home, etc). In "Passionada" she plays a teen trying to set her mother up with a professional gambler (provided he teaches her to count cards). "Nola" is a black comedy with a lot of people who didn't like it but I did. In it she plays a savvy, cynical teen who runs away from her abusive stepfather to NYC to find her biological father, and she meets an odd assortment of characters. Her film "Songcatcher" has her as a young Appalacian orphaned singer, and she even played a young Audrey Hepurn in "The Audrey Hepurn Story". Her career started when she was seven and she joined the children's chorus of the Metropolitan Opera, where she performed in over 20 operas, in six different languages alongside Placido Domingo and Luciano Pavaratti. She appeared in Franco Zeferelli's film version of the opera Carmen. She's only eighteen now, and she has a long career ahead of her, IMO. She's working on a film called "Posidon" with Kurt Russell and Richard Dreyfus (Directed by Wolfgang Peterson) at the moment, and she attends Columbia University. I for one think she is much more than simply a young starlet, and shouldn.y be compared to actresses like Lindsey Lohan, Hilary Duff, etc. ZWho are the same age but don't have 1/2 her talent, IMO.
Here are some pics from her various projects.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (26.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (23.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 09.jpg (35.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg normal_46.jpg (124.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg normal_08.jpg (153.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 07.jpg (18.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg normal_84.jpg (134.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg normal_51.jpg (99.9 KB, 0 views)

20-07-2005
V.I.P.

For actresses Miranda Richardson, Imelda Staunton and Miriam Margolyes Although again, perhaps they aren't so much under ratred as under appreciated. Brilliant actresses And I agree with acester's pick of Christopher Eccleston, that man is a brilliant actor

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany
For actresses Miranda Richardson, Imelda Staunton and Miriam Margolyes Although again, perhaps they aren't so much under ratred as under appreciated. Brilliant actresses And I agree with acester's pick of Christopher Eccleston, that man is a brilliant actor
I agree. There are several ways an actor can be underrated. He/she can be underrated artistically (when people only recognize that they're famous, and overlook their talent) or they can be appriciated by critics, but overlooked by the general public. I think that the three actresses you mention (and Christopher Eccleson) fall into the second catagory. I especailly love Miranda Richardson-she's able to convey so much with her face alone, it's really incredable. I also wanted to point out that Christopher Eccleson was really good in The Others (that was him playing Nicole Kidman's husband, right?)

20-07-2005
Diamond

Coincidently, my husband and I were just discussing this the other day:

Giovanni Ribisi

Edward Norton

Christian Bale

Kevin Klein

~Madeleine Albright
21-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipkitten

Giovanni Ribisi

Edward Norton

Christian Bale
Deffinetly, they are all really great

backstage pass

Kate Hudson...She was absolutely wonderful in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Rebaptising my badness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipkitten
Christian Bale

Kevin Klein
I love those two.

V.I.P.

I think Miranda Otto (she played Eowyn in Lord of the Rings) is underrated. I think she was awesome in LOTR and I loved how she played her character, much more than I liked Liv playing Arwen.

as for actors, I would say Heath Ledger and Orlando Bloom. everyone is just thinking about them as "hollywood hotties" but I thought they were fabulous in "Ned Kelly".

22-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy
I think Miranda Otto (she played Eowyn in Lord of the Rings) is underrated. I think she was awesome in LOTR and I loved how she played her character, much more than I liked Liv playing Arwen.

as for actors, I would say Heath Ledger and Orlando Bloom. everyone is just thinking about them as "hollywood hotties" but I thought they were fabulous in "Ned Kelly".
I think Heath Ledger can be good, but I've yet to be impressed by Bloom. I didn't really like Ned Kelly (I expected to because I've read several books about the Kelly gang). I thought that everything was really rushed in the film, and I had trouble understanding their Irish/Australian accents. Plus, with their long bears, all the guys looked similar so I had trouble telling who was who. Plus, I felt like the love story w/ Naomi Watts was just added for the hell of it, and some of the comic relief didn't realy work for me... I really want to see "Elizabethtown" though. I'm curious to see Orlando Bloom in a modern day role.

22-07-2005
front row

Harvey Keitel is pure genius - in his own, non-mainstream kind of way.

--Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., "Cat's Cradle"
23-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostgirl
I think Heath Ledger can be good, but I've yet to be impressed by Bloom. I didn't really like Ned Kelly (I expected to because I've read several books about the Kelly gang). I thought that everything was really rushed in the film, and I had trouble understanding their Irish/Australian accents. Plus, with their long bears, all the guys looked similar so I had trouble telling who was who. Plus, I felt like the love story w/ Naomi Watts was just added for the hell of it, and some of the comic relief didn't realy work for me... I really want to see "Elizabethtown" though. I'm curious to see Orlando Bloom in a modern day role.
yeah I agree with it. but it's so hard to do a movie based on historical events and/or books. it's not the same, after all it's just a movie.
I'm also curious about "Elizabethtown" and "Haven" starring Orlando. currently he's shooting "Love and Disasters" with Gwyneth Paltrow, I'm so excited how it turns out!

Last edited by fairy; 23-07-2005 at 07:23 AM.
23-07-2005
fashion icon

At least here in the US I belive that some seriously wonderful British actors/actresses are underrated: Judy Dench, Kenneth Branagh (who I have an odd crush on), Emma Thompson...

I'm sure the list could go on and on.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
actors, underrated