How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-08-2005
scenester

I think Alan Rickman is so underrated, at least in North America (In Britain, is he more well known?). He is subtle and brilliant in every role he plays.

10-08-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ Isn't he the actor in Love Actually? If that's the case, he and Emma Thompson were brilliant in that. Especially that scene where Emma is in their bedroom, holding back tears, after finding out her husband bought a Christmas gift for another woman.

10-08-2005
scenester

Yeah, that's him. I know, wasn't that scene so touching? It made me cry . He was also in Sense and Sensibility (so good in that) and, of course, Harry Potter (so good in that too! but he doesn't get enough screen time.)

11-08-2005
fashion insider

Jennifer Connelly (yes, I know she won an Oscar), Leonardo DiCaprio, Claire Danes, Kieran Culkin, Billy Crudup, and some others I can't think of at the moment.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auddie
I think Alan Rickman is so underrated, at least in North America (In Britain, is he more well known?). He is subtle and brilliant in every role he plays.
My friend loves him. I know him cause of her and Iam glad.

I would take note that "Snape" is the same man like in Love actually!
He looks completely different there

11-08-2005
rising star

Eion Bailey... delicious and substaintial acting chops. He's been in a few smaller things; Starring Pancho Villa as Himself; Sexual Life... Everytime I see him, I melt with those amazing eyes but he's very formidible, holding his own in larger, ensemble casts.

11-08-2005
backstage pass

I think Jeremy Sumpter is totally underrated!!! I mean come on! They guy can really act! Plus he's really hot too
I think Emmy Rossum is underrated as well. Her talent and dedication deserves way way more than what she has now.

11-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micaela
I think Jeremy Sumpter is totally underrated!!! I mean come on! They guy can really act! Plus he's really hot too
I think Emmy Rossum is underrated as well. Her talent and dedication deserves way way more than what she has now.
I agree- hopefully in the future she'll get more recognition.

11-08-2005
front row

How is Leonardo DiCarprio underrated?

12-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Classic
How is Leonardo DiCarprio underrated?
Well, I think he's not given enough artistic credit. He's seen as a "movie star" more than an "actor" which I think is largely due to Titanic. It's unfortunate though, because he's a really great actor. After Titanic's sucess, he could have coasted, and played a lot of romatic heros, but he chose challenging roles in films that allowed him to stretch his abilities in different directions. But I think that he was a great actor before Titanic (see This Boy's Life, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Romeo + Juliet, Marvin's Room) and he's done great work since (Catch Me If You Can, The Aviator). Even films like The Beach, that wasn't great, or Gangs of New York where his (very good) performance was overshadowed by Daniel Day Lewis, were risky projects for him: he wasn't playing off his heartthrob image- he was taking darker roles in films he cared about and working with directors he respected and wanted to learn from. personally I thought he deserved an Oscar for The Aviator- he totally carried that movie, and gave a very sensitive, nuanced performance- but this was Jamie Fox's year. He also deserved an Oscar for What's Eating Gilbert Grape (Tommy Lee Jones stole it from him that year IMO). I hope he continues to try different kinds of roles in various film genres. Hopefully in the future he won't be fodder for the gossip columns so much- he's said that the only thing that bothers him about that is that the more you know (or think you know) about an actor in real life the less able you are to believe them when they're in character. I just hope that he's recognized as the great actor he is in the future.

Last edited by lostgirl; 12-08-2005 at 12:15 AM.
12-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostgirl
Well, I think he's not given enough artistic credit. He's seen as a "movie star" more than an "actor" which I think is largely due to Titanic. It's unfortunate though, because he's a really great actor. After Titanic's sucess, he could have coasted, and played a lot of romatic heros, but he chose challenging roles in films that allowed him to stretch his abilities in different directions. But I think that he was a great actor before Titanic (see This Boy's Life, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Romeo + Juliet, Marvin's Room) and he's done great work since (Catch Me If You Can, The Aviator). Even films like The Beach, that wasn't great, or Gangs of New York where his (very good) performance was overshadowed by Daniel Day Lewis, were risky projects for him: he wasn't playing off his heartthrob image- he was taking darker roles in films he cared about and working with directors he respected and wanted to learn from. personally I thought he deserved an Oscar for The Aviator- he totally carried that movie, and gave a very sensitive, nuanced performance- but this was Jamie Fox's year. He also deserved an Oscar for What's Eating Gilbert Grape (Tommy Lee Jones stole it from him that year IMO). I hope he continues to try different kinds of roles in various film genres. Hopefully in the future he won't be fodder for the gossip columns so much- he's said that the only thing that bothers him about that is that the more you know (or think you know) about an actor in real life the less able you are to believe them when they're in character. I just hope that he's recognized as the great actor he is in the future.
I agree
I saw him I thikn in This Boy's Life (I am not sure about the name) it was about drug usiing. And he was fantastic!
I liked Romeo + Juliet as well!

12-08-2005
V.I.P.

Leonardo DiCaprio is my favourite actor of all time. I think he is fantastic. He's something else.

Underrated and Great Actors:

I agree with Tom Cruise, he's great in every part - Jerry Maguire, Rain Man, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia are good examples
Nicole Kidman too. She is never bad; always great. I know she's won awards but so many people hate her and I don't get it.
Giovanni Ribisi
John Goodman - dramatic or comedy. He always has parts in Coen films and he's great - great on "Roseanne" too.
Kirsten Dunst.. (I feel she is really natural and great at all her parts, even in stupid movies)
Danny Glover I know this is weird but he's great.
Mark Wahlberg was incredible in "Huckabees" and I don't think he received any recognition. I don't like him as a person though
Matt Damon is perfect in any genre - dramatic or comedy.
Brittany Murphy!
Ron Livingston! I could go on all day

I think it is a shame that Will Smith and Angelina Jolie only seem to do silly movies or action films because those two are extremely talented when they do something good.

Last edited by oolie coco; 12-08-2005 at 04:49 PM.
12-08-2005
V.I.P.

I don't know why I can't edit,

but I forgot that Jim Carrey was extremely underrated for Eternal Sunshine and I am not over it.

Jennifer Aniston was always seriously underrated on "Friends". Her most brilliant seasons were the first five and she never gets enough credit.

12-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheiby11
I agree
I saw him I thikn in This Boy's Life (I am not sure about the name) it was about drug usiing. And he was fantastic!
I liked Romeo + Juliet as well!
He was a drug addict in The Basketball Diaries. Could that be what you're thinking of? In This Boy's Life he played Robert DeNiro's abused stepson.

12-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oolie coco
I don't know why I can't edit,

but I forgot that Jim Carrey was extremely underrated for Eternal Sunshine and I am not over it.

Jennifer Aniston was always seriously underrated on "Friends". Her most brilliant seasons were the first five and she never gets enough credit.
You can only edit for 10 minutes after a post. If you want to change your message after that, you have to contact a mod.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
actors, underrated