How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostgirl
I agree. There are several ways an actor can be underrated. He/she can be underrated artistically (when people only recognize that they're famous, and overlook their talent) or they can be appriciated by critics, but overlooked by the general public. I think that the three actresses you mention (and Christopher Eccleson) fall into the second catagory. I especailly love Miranda Richardson-she's able to convey so much with her face alone, it's really incredable. I also wanted to point out that Christopher Eccleson was really good in The Others (that was him playing Nicole Kidman's husband, right?)
exactly, very well put (and yes he was in The Others )

I watched Stage Beauty last week and I must say, Claire Danes seems to be tremendously underappreciated by critics - she was fabulous, particularly in the last scenes

12-08-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by oolie coco
Leonardo DiCaprio is my favourite actor of all time. I think he is fantastic. He's something else.

Underrated and Great Actors:

I agree with Tom Cruise, he's great in every part - Jerry Maguire, Rain Man, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia are good examples
Nicole Kidman too. She is never bad; always great. I know she's won awards but so many people hate her and I don't get it.
Giovanni Ribisi
John Goodman - dramatic or comedy. He always has parts in Coen films and he's great - great on "Roseanne" too.
Kirsten Dunst.. (I feel she is really natural and great at all her parts, even in stupid movies)
Danny Glover I know this is weird but he's great.
Mark Wahlberg was incredible in "Huckabees" and I don't think he received any recognition. I don't like him as a person though
Matt Damon is perfect in any genre - dramatic or comedy.
Brittany Murphy!
Ron Livingston! I could go on all day

I think it is a shame that Will Smith and Angelina Jolie only seem to do silly movies or action films because those two are extremely talented when they do something good.
I didn't know nicole kidman was hated? I love her and i think she deserves everything she has and the stage she's at right now!

13-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany
exactly, very well put (and yes he was in The Others )

I watched Stage Beauty last week and I must say, Claire Danes seems to be tremendously underappreciated by critics - she was fabulous, particularly in the last scenes
I agree- That was a great movie. She's going to be doing an off broadway theater piece in NYC in September. It combines video art and she performes as solo dance piece as this character. I put the info about it on her thread in Star Style. I realllllly wanna see it.

13-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostgirl
He was a drug addict in The Basketball Diaries. Could that be what you're thinking of? In This Boy's Life he played Robert DeNiro's abused stepson.
Yes you are right! Thank you

10-09-2005
fashion elite

Actors:

Javier Bardem-he is huge in Spain, but how about the rest of the world? He deserves everything.

James Dean- Everyone remembers hiS attitude of rebel without a cause but how about his films for a change? He is one of the only 10 actors that received an Oscar nom on their first film.

Heath Ledger-Friends&Girlfriends overshadowing him and he seems to be stuck with the image of rude hot boy. Well, he isn't a boy anymore and he is really talented just watch Monster's Ball or his upcoming BBM.

Sean Penn-His manners are awful and he says everything he feels, people hate him because of his strong morals and forget that he is the best actor of his generation.

fashion elite

-Jennifer Aniston was overrated on The Good Girl,Jake Gyllenhaal and John C. Relly were the underrated ones.
-Jim Carrey was tˇso unfairly underrated for ESOFM, he was just as good as Kate and she was nominated for many different awards, I wonder why it happened?

backstage pass

Keisha Castle Hughes in Whale Rider. I haven't cried during a movie since I saw Free Willy at the age of six until I saw her acting. Haha, I had to pause the movie in order to run to bathroom to get tissues during this one part. She was only about 11 or 12 in that movie too. . One hell of an actress.

picture credits: http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4...rev_keisha.jpg

10-09-2005
V.I.P.

Ohh...good topic
My picks:
Maggie Gyllenhall - Noted for her style but her films are brilliant. Loved Secretary.
Michael Pitt - Famous for his bit role in Dawsons Creek but he's done some brilliant indie flicks since then, The Dreamers and more recently Last Days.
Jamie Bell - Stuck with the tag of 'that kid from Billy Elliot' but such a great actor. Dear Wendy, Chumscrubber.....all great films.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
11-09-2005
fashion insider

Giovanni Ribisi

backstage pass

I completely agree with the sentiments that Leonardo DiCaprio isn't given the actual acting recognition he deserves. He is only seen as a 'heart throb'. There was a huge backlash against him when he chose to do The Beach - because it wasn't as block buster as Titanic. I'm so glad he picked that movie - it meant that he wouldn't be only offered 'romantic leads' in the future. So if you haen't seen Basketball Diaries, What's Eating Gilbert Grape or even Catch me if you Can go out and see them now!

Viggo Mortensson (sp?).
Giovanni Ribisi
Claire Danes

V.I.P.

Javier Bardem and Giovanni Ribisi are magnificent

I think Keiran Culkin is great too... I hope much success for him.

I think Matt Damon should have an Oscar for his acting by now. Completely overlooked for Talented Mr. Ripley.

Last edited by oolie coco; 12-09-2005 at 01:24 AM.
12-09-2005
front row

Ed Norton.

12-09-2005
trendsetter

Even though he won an oscar, people forget about him--Benicio Del Toro

12-09-2005
backstage pass

Ed Norton! he was so good in American History X!!!!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookymonster
Keisha Castle Hughes in Whale Rider. I haven't cried during a movie since I saw Free Willy at the age of six until I saw her acting. Haha, I had to pause the movie in order to run to bathroom to get tissues during this one part. She was only about 11 or 12 in that movie too. . One hell of an actress.
I second that, she was incredible

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
actors, underrated