How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-09-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist
Ed Norton.
I agree !!

20-08-2006
tfs star

Vincent D'Onfrio - From playing a robber in The Newton Boys to an alien in Men in Black to a unattached father in Thumbsucker, it seems like he can do it all.
Benico Del Toro- In a cast where I thought some parts were horribly acted(*cough* Brittany Murphy, Mickey Rourke, Bruce Wills *cough*), he stole the show in Sin City. He was incredible in 21 Grams. At first I despised him from stealing the Oscar away from Joaquin in 2001, I now see what all the fuss is about. (Not underrated but he is fantastic actor).
Sam Rockwell- To me, he's always been that actor that has been in a lot of movies, but you never quite know their name. After seeing him in the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, he's defnitley up there when it comes to great acting.
Emilie Hirsch- Very intense. Saw him in Lords of Dogtown and I can forgive him for doing The Girl Next Door. Can't wait until Alpha Dog is released.
Jamie Bell- I loved him Billy Elliot. There are very few child actors that live up to the hype, but he most defnitley does. Can't wait to see The Chumbscrubber and Dear Wendy.

Last edited by fashionicon; 20-08-2006 at 09:49 PM.
20-08-2006
fashion insider

I' dsay without a doubt, Jeff Goldblum. I love this guy. And what does he get? Rubbish roles. He has so much character and charisma, he is able to be funny, endearing, actless, humble, and nobody gives him the props he deserves, or the roles.

I'd also say...David Duchovny - genius in Twin Peaks, X-Files, and even managed to make Evolution watchable. Again, underrated.

And thirdly i'd say Emilio Estevez. I love him. want to see more, which is why i'll probably cast him in my movie XD

20-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oolie coco
Ron Livingston! I could go on all day

I think it is a shame that Will Smith and Angelina Jolie only seem to do silly movies or action films because those two are extremely talented when they do something good.
I completely agree on your last notes. Ron Livingston should be getting more work. I loved him in "Office Space," but he did get some recognition as Carrie's boyfriend who broke up with her through a post-it. He is a very likable guy, though.

I agree with Will Smith, hello?! "Ali" was amazing, especially considering it was before all the biopics.

Off the top of my head would be Marlon Wayans. He has got to stop making all those idiotic "Little Man" movies. He was amazing and evoked so much sadness and longing in "Requiem for a Dream."

Last edited by LoveMyBoots; 20-08-2006 at 10:23 PM.
20-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionicon
Sam Rockwell- To me, he's always been that actor that has been in a lot of movies, but you never quite know their name. After seeing him in the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, he's defnitley up there when it comes to great acting.
Based soley on looks, he always reminds me of the SNL comedian Dana Carvey (I think is his name)....

20-08-2006
fashion insider

Joaquin Phoenix is still underrated, despite getting lots of mention for his excellent work in "Walk the Line." I still think he should've won the Best Supporting Oscar for "Gladiator" over Benicio Del Toro (although I thought he was great as well). God, his performance was just exquisite. He was a wonderful villain but there was something so charming and vulnerable about him. He also could've been nominated that year for "Quills"; he was wonderful in that as well.

I totally agree that Tom Cruise and Leo DiCaprio are underrated actors. These are two that are more noted for their looks and personal life. It's not their fault they're so damn good-looking. Both are extremely talented, I think. Tom has been in some extraordinary films, like "Magnolia", "Born on the Fourth of July", and "Rain Man." I like that he doesn't whore himself out and do like zillions of bad movies for the money cause you know he could. He's only been in 35 movies, which is relatively little considering how long he has been in the business. He picks his movies carefully and wisely, and I love that about him.

Leo gets way too much flak for "Titanic". And I thought that was a great movie, too! He's been a fantastic actor since the beginning. I loved him in "Basketball Diaries" and "What's Eating Gilbert's Grape" (I think he got an Oscar nom for that movie!). And Martin Scorsese (please give him an Oscar) seems to have made him his new protege, so that bodes very well for him. I can't wait to see him in "The Departed."

I also consider Hugh Grant to be really underrated. The man has brilliant comic timing - and that's hard to pull off. Comedy just doesn't get enough love.

20-08-2006
fashion insider

I agree on Keshia Castle-Hughes, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Kristen Bell and Emmy Rossum.

I'll try and think of some more to add.

20-08-2006
rêverie

there's a lot. i think most actors, famous or not, turn up at least one commendable performance. hope davis, patricia clarkson, etc.

20-08-2006
backstage pass

Gaspard Ulliel! Ok, maybe I am a little biased because I have a crush on him But he is very good actor, really.

front row

I think Michael Pitt is very underrate actor, but i think hes gonna be more known now that hes going to play in a movie with keira knightly

21-08-2006
fashion insider

Gael Garcia Bernal, Eric Bana, Peter Gallagher (for stuff other than the O.C.), Ralph Fiennes, Michael Vartan, Paul Giamatti, Michael Madsen, Virginia Madsen, Kate Walsh, Natasha Richardson, Evan Rachel Wood, Jena Malone, Juliette Binoche (I know she won an oscar)

21-08-2006
V.I.P.

I dont know. Can Pitt play anything other than naieve daydreamer whose world opens out through the course of the film. But then that could be his movie choices. He has a lot of idiosyncrasies that makes it hard to follow him into a new character because they are his idiosyncrasies. We'll see. He's an interesting one.

Although I have to say very few of these people are underrated. I mean Cate Blanchette? Love her to bits but so does the world. I see the Leo Dicaprio points though. I dont know if he is underrated in Hollywood though as he is a power player now. He may seem underrated because we dont hear much about his private live etc etc whereas once that is all we heard about... but he can get movies made and the critics appreciate him, and the Titanic backlash is long over now.

21-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette
Actors:

Javier Bardem-he is huge in Spain, but how about the rest of the world? He deserves everything.

James Dean- Everyone remembers hiS attitude of rebel without a cause but how about his films for a change? He is one of the only 10 actors that received an Oscar nom on their first film.

Heath Ledger-Friends&Girlfriends overshadowing him and he seems to be stuck with the image of rude hot boy. Well, he isn't a boy anymore and he is really talented just watch Monster's Ball or his upcoming BBM.

Sean Penn-His manners are awful and he says everything he feels, people hate him because of his strong morals and forget that he is the best actor of his generation.
I don't think Sean Penn is underrated, he's won LOADS of awards and is recognized as the best American actor of his generation.

I have to say I don't agree with 99% of the actors mentioned in this thread. They are not recognized because they either cannot act at all or can pull off just a one role, which they might do really well though. But that's not enough to be called an actor; an actor is a person who can play different characters.

I think Samantha Morton is underrated.

Last edited by Whitelinen; 21-08-2006 at 09:54 AM.
21-08-2006
V.I.P.

Sam Morton! Excellent choice White Linen. She is just captivating!

21-08-2006
fashion icon

Gael Garcia Bernal I think is underrated.

dlg

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
actors, underrated