How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-07-2005
scenester

Underrated Actors
So tell me about actors you feel are seriously underrated.

I feel Tom Cruise is seriously, deathly underrated. Do you ever hear anyone talking about his acting? His roles? No. Only about his "private" life and movies, not his acting.

Interview with the Vampire is a very good movie with him and Brad Pitt and Kirsten Dunst, and Antonio Banderas. He plays a "villain" I guess, a vampire for several hundred years. He did the character perfectly and brought this beautiful shinging and seductiveness to the character.

I HIGHLY reccomend seeing this, several nominations for Oscars, Globes, etc. (I remember Kirsten was nominated for best supporting actress). It has beautiful clothing and scenery, mostly shot at night. I love it, definetly for someone a fan of period pieces.

Also check out my icon!

Yours?.

Last edited by The Villain; 19-07-2005 at 07:30 PM.

19-07-2005
Iowa Girl at Heart

^ but you didn't share who you think is underrated.

In the public's eye, I think Claire Danes is underrated. I think, for the most part, critics enjoy her work, but I think she's a magnificent actress.

Last edited by Erin; 19-07-2005 at 07:45 PM.
19-07-2005
V.I.P.

^ I disagree with Tom as a choice, but to each their own

Michael Sheen is my pick. I don't know whether he's 'under rated' per se, but he does seem to me to be under appreciated

He is completely wonderful in Dirty Filthy Love, Bright Young Things, Heartlands and Wilde He's also been in more commercial films like Underworld, Timeline and Laws of Attraction (none of which I liked, but he is good in them anyway)

Here's an article on "Dirty Filthy Love" which is a truly wonderful film :
http://www.itv.com/page.asp?partid=2126
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1_heartlands1.jpg (9.7 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg nixon.jpg (19.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg AS mozart in Amadeus on stage.jpg (15.2 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg byt_sheen.jpg (52.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 1095409582421_0.jpg (6.2 KB, 357 views)

Last edited by tiffany; 19-07-2005 at 08:09 PM.
19-07-2005
scenester

I know everyone thinks he's overrated, with all the Katie/public thing, but honestly - have you seen ANY of his good movies? See Magnolia or Interview with the Vampire - he is truly an amazing actor.

19-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain
I know everyone thinks he's overrated, with all the Katie/public thing, but honestly - have you seen ANY of his good movies? See Magnolia or Interview with the Vampire - he is truly an amazing actor.
Yes, I've seen both. I thought he was good in them, but not spectacular - and certainly not under rated with an oscar nomination for Magnolia and such. But that's just my opinion, to each their own

tfs star

I loved Tom in Far and Away. But I don't consider him to be underrated.

I think Ryan Gosling and Joaquin Phoenix are underrated.

Most everyone have just now discovered Ryan because of The Notebook but he's been in other movies! The Beleiver, The United States of Leland, are all great.He's a devout humaniatrian and he used to get beat up all the time when he was younger. He is open about it, because it gives people hope and tells people not to let that get you down. I love him.

Joaquin Phoneix, IMO, was AMAZING in Gladiator. He should have won over Benico Del Toro for Supporting Actor.

Last edited by fashionicon; 19-07-2005 at 09:00 PM.
19-07-2005
V.I.P.

Christopher Eccleston..he was in Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett and heaps of shows and 2 movies with Cameron Diaz and now he's Dr Who and FINALLY getting noticed

19-07-2005
V.I.P.

jonathan ryhs myers
cillian murphy
ewan mcgregor

wiser now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain
So tell me about actors you feel are seriously underrated.

I feel Tom Cruise is seriously, deathly underrated. Do you ever hear anyone talking about his acting? His roles? No. Only about his "private" life and movies, not his acting.
Yours?.
I think Tom is overrated... Rainman one of the only movies of his I enjoued but that wasn't coz of him. The only reason people talk about his private life is because he makes it bigger than his career. That's just my opinion

My underrated actors is Mark Ruffalo

wiser now

Oh I'd also like to add that I think that Lauren Graham and Kristen Bell are underrated as actresses

Your pm box is full buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionicon
I loved Tom in Far and Away. But I don't consider him to be underrated.

I think Ryan Gosling and Joaquin Phoenix are underrated.

Most everyone have just now discovered Ryan because of The Notebook but he's been in other movies! The Beleiver, The United States of Leland, are all great.He's a devout humaniatrian and he used to get beat up all the time when he was younger. He is open about it, because it gives people hope and tells people not to let that get you down. I love him.

Joaquin Phoneix, IMO, was AMAZING in Gladiator. He should have won over Benico Del Toro for Supporting Actor.

I agree... Ryan Gosling is a very good actor... minus his little.. whatever it was in Murder by Numbers.

as for Joaquin... i HATED him so much in Gladiator.. which just proves that he did a good job of being the bad guy...

19-07-2005
front row

Joaquin is truly underrated. He had me hating him in Gladiator (like Luna), but had me bawling during Ladder 49.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
^ but you didn't share who you think is underrated.

In the public's eye, I think Claire Danes is underrated. I think, for the most part, critics enjoy her work, but I think she's a magnificent actress.
I agree. For the most part she seems to do smaller films that don't attract a mass audience, which is sad b/c she's such a great actress. Still she's had a few mainstream hits (Little Women, Romeo+Juliet, The Hours) and some smaller arthouse type sucesses (Stage Beauty, Igby Goes Down) and she got 2 new films out this fall here are some pics:
Shopgirl: Opens Oct 21

The Family Stone: opens Nov. 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bfamilystone01_1.jpg (47.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg bfamilystone01_4.jpg (33.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by lostgirl; 19-07-2005 at 11:32 PM.
19-07-2005
V.I.P.

^^^Oops, I forgot to give credit. Those pics are from www.efanguide.com/clairedanes

I also think that Leonardo DiCaprio is underrated as an actor. People got so into the Titanic heart-throb thing, and the backlash, that they forgot that he's really a great actor, who's proven himself over and over again. Obviously he was great in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries, but because Romeo+Juliet and Titanic were so successful, he got percieved as a romantic lead, and he's capable of more than that. I respect the fact that after Titanic, he didn't just continue to play the same character over and over again- he took risks, and some were successful, and some weren't. I thought his performance in Catch Me if You Can was underrated, partially because it was quite subtle, but each time he pretended to be someone else his posture, his demeanor and his voice would change slightly. And as the character got older he changed as well. His performance in The Aviator was also great, and I really forgot that I was watching Leonardo Dicaprio. He really depicted Obessive Compulsaive Disorder well, in the scene where he's in the public bathroom and he's so afraid of germs that he won't touch the doorknob, so he's stuck there, I almost understood his fear, even though it was totally irrational. I sort of inderstood how hard it must be for the character. He's also proved that the size of the part isn't necessarily important (he had a really small part in Celebrity, and a supporting role in Marvin's Room), or the size of his paycheck (he donated $7 million of his own salary to Gangs of New York, when they went over the studio budget). He seems to choose his films based on how the roles challenge him, or if there are people involved with whom he wants to work. People often overlook stuff like that because of the whole "movie star" thing.

20-07-2005
scenester

I know I'm crazy with the Tom thing but ya'll gotta see Interview with the Vampire and read the book. True he does overstate his public life more than his movies, but it's sad that, I feel, as one of America's greatests actors that everyone thinks he can't act. He did Lestat de Lioncourt perfectly.

Also, this thread isn't just for males - actors AND actresses. I assume actors describes both now or am I just crazy?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
actors, underrated