How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Aug 12 2004, 03:35 AM
The universe is a real, quantifiable thing. Therefore its existence must be explainable. However, that doesn't mean a human mind - pulp of flesh and blood with chemical injected emotions, made rigid by 10,000 years of social convention and evolutionary adaptation - could ever comprehend the explanation.

That's what I've always thought.
[snapback]328951[/snapback]
I couldnt agree more, now lets say in theory that there was a god who made this, real, quantifiable thing, would it be any easier to comprehend this god?

12-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Aug 11 2004, 09:35 PM
The universe is a real, quantifiable thing. Therefore its existence must be explainable. However, that doesn't mean a human mind - pulp of flesh and blood with chemical injected emotions, made rigid by 10,000 years of social convention and evolutionary adaptation - could ever comprehend the explanation.

That's what I've always thought.
[snapback]328951[/snapback]
2nd.

As to the universe ending, yes it will end one day according to the currently accepted physical theories. As the universe is expanding and galaxies are flying away at rapid speeds they cool off. All stars will burn out eventually as they run out of energy after the Big Bang. I think I got that right If you want to read more about it, a good layman's book is "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene (I confess I didn't finish it).

12-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Aug 11 2004, 10:53 PM
Not really. No religion other than Buhddism, which is excluded on account of true Buhddism not having any concept as crude as a single God-entity, explains who made God. God and the Big Bag are on level-pegging as far as explaining things go (in fact you could even say God made the Big Bang if you wanted to but you're still not getting anywhere).
[snapback]329030[/snapback]
Not to mention that true Buddhism is not a religion at all in a common sense of the word.

12-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Aug 12 2004, 06:19 PM
2nd.

As to the universe ending, yes it will end one day according to the currently accepted physical theories. As the universe is expanding and galaxies are flying away at rapid speeds they cool off. All stars will burn out eventually as they run out of energy after the Big Bang. I think I got that right If you want to read more about it, a good layman's book is "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene (I confess I didn't finish it).
[snapback]329685[/snapback]
The big crunch

Thats not currently accepted by everyone in the phsics world, strong possibility though.

12-08-2004
V.I.P.

If the universe has an ending....... Then what will be left. It's so hard to imagine. If it ends, I mean its GOT TO BE in something!?!?!??!

Thinking about this stuff gives me a headache!

12-08-2004
V.I.P.

But yet, you can treat it like the tree in the woods:

If the universe ends, how will it be ended, because nothing will be able to comprehend it as gone?

13-08-2004
El Capitán

Quote:
Originally posted by ahhGucci@Aug 12 2004, 12:15 PM
I couldnt agree more, now lets say in theory that there was a god who made this, real, quantifiable thing, would it be any easier to comprehend this god?
[snapback]329679[/snapback]
i'm with prince and his first statement, but i also feel the point ahhgucci makes is a profound one...if an incomprehensible universe exists, then it is also possible that an incomprehensible God exists

not to say you have to believe it, but you can not deny it is possible

13-08-2004
V.I.P.

The fundamental belief of Islam is that there is One God, that He has no partner, He begets not, neither is He begotten, He always was and always will be. He is All Good, All Mercy and All Power. The Unity of God is the basic Islamic belief and all other articles of our faith are dependent on it...so im sorry i cant agree wiith you guys on the concept of multiple deities.

and its also a part of ouur faith to believe in the last day. buut im not uure if it' ll mark the end of the world alone or will the whole universe cease to exit.
but we do believe that life after death is not a new phenomenon; in that all it's manifestations will be reflections of what one does in this life. each soul will be held accountable for what it has done and that God will punish and reward accordingly. life as we know it is only transitory and that life after death is a permanent state.
"...and in dying that we are born to eternal life" -sinead o connor

14-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by ahhGucci@Aug 12 2004, 12:14 PM
then you will find that comprehending god or his existance thereof is a fruitless and i dare say, impossible task for the human mind, and many have tried.
[snapback]329676[/snapback]
Maybe we're not supposed to understand it at all?
Isn't that part of the point...

14-08-2004
fashion elite

*sigh* I feel like a full-blown idiot too..

V.I.P.

we cant! humans onny uue 4 % of their brain...which is probably why we cant ever undertand some things...

17-08-2004
V.I.P.

*sorry dumb question*

Is there a way we can use the 66 % remaining part of our brain?

Anyways, I believe that the world is much much much much more complicated than we'd expect, and I believe there is something surnatural about our existence. Aren't we living in such a "perfect" (*cough*) world? I mean, every element is sooooo well balanced, humans are such complex beings (physically speaking). I mean, if we tried to create a human being using whatever composes us, it would be impossible to make that human a LIVING creature, which pushes me to believe there is something very spiritual about our existence. Which pushes me to believe that the world itself is something very supernatural...

17-08-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

All that '4%' means is that only 4% of the brain has an electrical impulse in it at any given time.

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimkhuu@Aug 17 2004, 09:07 PM
*sorry dumb question*

Anyways, I believe that the world is much much much much more complicated than we'd expect, and I believe there is something surnatural about our existence. Aren't we living in such a "perfect" (*cough*) world? I mean, every element is sooooo well balanced, humans are such complex beings (physically speaking). I mean, if we tried to create a human being using whatever composes us, it would be impossible to make that human a LIVING creature, which pushes me to believe there is something very spiritual about our existence. Which pushes me to believe that the world itself is something very supernatural...
[snapback]336476[/snapback]

umm.....heard of cloning?...we're making living tbeings as we speak...what used to be incomprehensible is now commonplace...think of the internet for crap's sake...or cell phones or tv;s...everything will be comprehended eventually...humanity is actually very young...relatively speaking ...we haven't existd for all that long...and at the rate we are progressing....we will either solve all of life's mysteries pretty rapidly or blow ourselves up...

17-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimkhuu@Aug 17 2004, 09:07 PM
*sorry dumb question*

[snapback]336476[/snapback]
The word belief implies a choice that one makes to believe or not believe in something. Belief is no longer neccessary or an option once you know. It's called faith,you either have it or you don't .

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
universe, world