How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by college girl@Aug 21 2004, 07:43 AM
I am very sorry saad I don't want to critisize you but I can't believe that god should destroy a whole culture because of too much knowledge
I must have missed that...

21-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainJackSparrow@Aug 21 2004, 04:13 AM

saad, i don't mean to challenge you, but where in the Quran does it say that? i'm currently in the process of reading the english translation of the Quran and i have never even read anything remotely close to that...if anything, from what i've read, the Quran very much encourages studying all that is around you in order to increase your knowledge

my mistake. i should have made myself clear. i came out wrong if you think i said the whole thing was in the Quran. i was talking about the reference in the Quran of certain civilizations that were destroyed over time because of their 'extreme-ness' in things.
the detailed story isnt in the Quran, of course.
the Quran is a very intense piece of writing. "an ocean of knowledge"
we as humans can not understand everything said in it. there are double meanings to every aayah (phrase/sentense) and so some islamic scholars have interpreted it to the best of their knowledge..in accordance to the sayings and teachings of Mohammed (pbuh)
one of the very famous and genuine explainations/interpretations is of Mr. Moududi who has given detailed interpretations and 'the story behind' everything said in the Quran. the whole story comes from there.

of course i think reading and understanding the Quran on my own a much better option becasue it is indeed a personal spiritual experience.

im still in the process of learning. being a good muslim does not in any way make me more knowledgable just becasue id like to think so

tuti fruiti, Allah indeed created the universe but it is only the earth thats for humans. at least for what it is. spiritual exploring is encouraged, but only till a point where you dont lose yourself.
and we are humans! we're very prone to losing ourselves!
it is mandatory for every muslim to believe in the last day--which gives us reason to understand the purpose of His keeping us on this one planet that will not sustain us for eternity (which is what, 70, 80 years?! our life span?) because a life of infinite duration is to follow once that day comes.
we of course dont know where the heaven and hell are? maybe the suns hell and jupiter heaven? who knows?!

im glad that youre reading the Quran, jacksparrow! may you find what youre looking for.
ignore my mistake up there, and if you ahve any questions, do pm me i'd be glad to help out and discuss

[COLOR=red]

21-08-2004
V.I.P.

Saad, I don't know where you are getting the references to us as muslims having to stay on earth

21-08-2004
V.I.P.

gucci! stop vandalizing me!

open up your head and understand what im saying!!!!

tuti fruiti made a comment about why Allah would want us to stay on one planet...

im just telling her that its not so... we're on the earth for this life only (the 70 or so years that we live) and then we have move on....hopefully to greener pastures and no body knows where that is.
the universe is a big big place...it could be anywhere!?1

21-08-2004
V.I.P.

edited to avoid pissing some people off

21-08-2004
V.I.P.

no, this is what causes people to disdain our religion.

intolerence among the muslims.

read back and see which of my personal beliefs have i labeled 'islamic'?

islam and allah are as much mine as yours. if you cant listen to others' views and interpretations (thats what we were doing, right?!) to 'what is', then im sorry...i'll refrain from speaking

21-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by tealady@Aug 20 2004, 10:13 AM
This reminds me of an old joke. The devil says to God, "I'm going to make me a man." God says, "Go ahead, make you a man." The devil bent down and began to scoop up some clay. "Ah, ah, ah -- start by making your own clay!" (see Genesis 2:7 for the reference.)
[snapback]339648[/snapback]

The created should not question the creator.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by ahhGucci@Aug 20 2004, 01:43 PM
There comes a point when, the only logical thing you can do, is understand that you don't have the answer to everything, and accept there is a certain thing called mystery.

Real answers? get real
[snapback]339927[/snapback]
Agreed!

yes

iimagine how many other people there must be on different planets throughout the universe

i wonder if we could ever find an alien physically attractive

21-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by saad@Aug 21 2004, 08:22 PM
no, this is what causes people to disdain our religion.

intolerence among the muslims.

read back and see which of my personal beliefs have i labeled 'islamic'?

islam and allah are as much mine as yours. if you cant listen to others' views and interpretations (thats what we were doing, right?!) to 'what is', then im sorry...i'll refrain from speaking
[snapback]340989[/snapback]
Interpretation of what? You havent quoted once, merely decided to 'reference' the Qu'ran, then you admit that half of the story was indeed, not from the Quran, worthy of a reference. And now, you have the audacity to say I, am intolerant of your interpretations.

You refer to your beliefs as fact, instead of looking at what I contested, you try to play the fool? If you arent prepared to back up your arguemnts, maybe you should refrain from speaking.

21-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by juniperbug@Aug 21 2004, 03:38 PM

The created should not question the creator.
[snapback]341071[/snapback]
I think the creator would want us to question! After all, we were given that ability, it would be ungrateful not to appreciate and take advantage of it.

As for the who-said-what issue, I think you guys are beginning to lose sight of the original point here. This topic isn't about what the Qu'ran says, it's about our individual views. No one, not even spiritual leaders, can provide definative versions of what a certain text says. I'm not from the same background as you both, so I won't comment specifically, but I'm fairly sure that most people will have their own interpretation of just about every aspect of the religion.

21-08-2004
V.I.P.

I'll keep that in mind

21-08-2004
V.I.P.

[quote=purplelucrezia,Aug 21 2004, 04:56 PM]
I think the creator would want us to question! After all, we were given that ability, it would be ungrateful not to appreciate and take advantage of it.

I totally agree. I posted that with the theories of the creation of the universe in mind. What I meant was that we should not question or rather, defy God's Word, ie: the Bible, but that's just from a Christian's perspective. Still doesn't stop any of us myself included, from occasionally doing so lol.
Everything else, is fair game.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Aug 22 2004, 02:56 AM
As for the who-said-what issue, I think you guys are beginning to lose sight of the original point here. This topic isn't about what the Qu'ran says, it's about our individual views. No one, not even spiritual leaders, can provide definative versions of what a certain text says. I'm not from the same background as you both, so I won't comment specifically, but I'm fairly sure that most people will have their own interpretation of just about every aspect of the religion.
[snapback]341138[/snapback]

thankyou!

22-08-2004
tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Aug 21 2004, 04:55 PM
iimagine how many other people there must be on different planets throughout the universe

i wonder if we could ever find an alien physically attractive
[snapback]341084[/snapback]
They would be snaffled from outerspace and sent to J Alexander, fitted, and then trooped down the runways as the next big thing.

Alien chic, coming to a runway near you...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
universe, world