How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

14-11-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Oct 29 2004, 04:59 PM
Well, I'm sure that's not why they banned it . I am with you, I have yet to find a person who could explain that book to me, because I don't see the beauty of it either. It's one of the things I scare the pretensious artsy types, "Ah, can you explain this book you are raving about to me?" They run like there is no tomorrow .
[snapback]410645[/snapback]
The beauty is that it is a philosophically and spiritually deep book written for the masses

I like the idea of writing for popular audiences but at the same time having a profound point underneath; Garcia-Marquez is from one of the poor areas of South America and he thought it was important to write a book that the poor could read

What do you think? Can an author dismiss eloquence and all the things that define literary merit and still write a beautiful book?

Just think how differently people would understand the soul and humans and history and politics, if Goethe had thought to write Faust for the masses rather than the literary elite

14-11-2004
I loved you

Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
for class... creative notes... I would enjoy books so much more if it wasn't for these darn notes...

14-11-2004
V.I.P.

I've actually read quite a few books since the last time I posted here! Most recently, Louis Riel by Chester Brown. It's a graphic novel, which is basically a comic book for adults; it tells the story of his life. Before that I finished Cereus Blooms at Night, by Shani Mootoo, which I loved. Right now I'm reading a novel set in Mexico called Second Sight by George Szanto. I'm about half way through it at this point... Next up is She Tries Her Tongue, Her Silence Softly Breaks, by M. Nourbese Philip, which deals with the experiences of the black Canadian woman.

Yes- I'm taking a course.

14-11-2004
I loved you

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Nov 15 2004, 12:41 PM
I've actually read quite a few books since the last time I posted here! Most recently, Louis Riel by Chester Brown. It's a graphic novel, which is basically a comic book for adults; it tells the story of his life. Before that I finished Cereus Blooms at Night, by Shani Mootoo, which I loved. Right now I'm reading a novel set in Mexico called Second Sight by George Szanto. I'm about half way through it at this point... Next up is She Tries Her Tongue, Her Silence Softly Breaks, by M. Nourbese Philip, which deals with the experiences of the black Canadian woman.

Yes- I'm taking a course.
[snapback]432049[/snapback]
wow!!! Purple! I wish I had the motivation to read books. The ones we read in class are terrible. The consequences (essays, tests, a million papers of notes) that come from reading books take my motivation away, to the point I just don't even leave time to read them...

14-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by breathe0xygen@Nov 14 2004, 10:50 PM
wow!!! Purple! I wish I had the motivation to read books. The ones we read in class are terrible. The consequences (essays, tests, a million papers of notes) that come from reading books take my motivation away, to the point I just don't even leave time to read them...
[snapback]432062[/snapback]
I rather have to, since they're basically what the course is about.
Quote:
Explores the works of 12 contemporary Canadian writers who give readings to the class and respond to questions about their work. (formerly AK/EN 1000A 6.00) Note: Not open to students who have taken AK/EN 1000A 6.00 in Fall/Winter 1999-2000, or in Fall/Winter 2000-2001.
The thing is- I know that I would never have the personal motivation to be reading as much either if I was just left up to myself. We have to finish a new one for every couple of weeks, and the authors themselves come in to do a reading for us. It'd be pretty disrespectful to go there not having read their novel. I've been enjoying them so much on their own though! It's too bad you don't have a similar course.

14-11-2004
I loved you

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Nov 15 2004, 01:09 PM
I rather have to, since they're basically what the course is about.

The thing is- I know that I would never have the personal motivation to be reading as much either if I was just left up to myself. We have to finish a new one for every couple of weeks, and the authors themselves come in to do a reading for us. It'd be pretty disrespectful to go there not having read their novel. I've been enjoying them so much on their own though! It's too bad you don't have a similar course.
[snapback]432109[/snapback]
I wish I had that kind of thing going on over here... It sounds like fun. Meeting authors...

14-11-2004
rising star

Anna Karenina by Tolstoy, I love it and I can't put it down; theres alot in there to read!

14-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by breathe0xygen@Nov 15 2004, 12:54 AM
I wish I had that kind of thing going on over here... It sounds like fun. Meeting authors...
[snapback]432190[/snapback]
Because they're all such sexy things, eh.

15-11-2004
I loved you

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Nov 15 2004, 02:56 PM
Because they're all such sexy things, eh.
[snapback]432196[/snapback]

I do enjoy reading though... sexy or not

15-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by breathe0xygen@Nov 15 2004, 01:00 AM

I do enjoy reading though... sexy or not
[snapback]432202[/snapback]
Same here, nerdy is definitely the coolest.

15-11-2004
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally posted by Emilie@Nov 15 2004, 02:56 PM
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy, I love it and I can't put it down; theres alot in there to read!
[snapback]432193[/snapback]
That's a beautiful story!

15-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by seraphelle@Nov 14 2004, 08:53 PM
The beauty is that it is a philosophically and spiritually deep book written for the masses

I like the idea of writing for popular audiences but at the same time having a profound point underneath; Garcia-Marquez is from one of the poor areas of South America and he thought it was important to write a book that the poor could read

What do you think? Can an author dismiss eloquence and all the things that define literary merit and still write a beautiful book?

Just think how differently people would understand the soul and humans and history and politics, if Goethe had thought to write Faust for the masses rather than the literary elite
[snapback]431902[/snapback]

That's the thing, I DON'T think it was written for the masses - I don't think most people (including myself) understand it. It's so surreal that any point he's trying to get across gets lost. I know exactly what you are saying about writing for the people and not for the aristocracy (especially you having a quote by Andre Breton in your sig ), but I definitely don't think that 100Y had that effect.

15-11-2004
Swim Upstream

I started to read Lanark by Alastair Gray last night.

15-11-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

An essay by some feminist nutter on AC Bradley and King Lear. She's really obsessed with penises and men being big wusses

15-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by helena@Nov 15 2004, 11:03 AM
I started to read Lanark by Alastair Gray last night.
[snapback]432653[/snapback]
I've been to New Lanark

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, reading