How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-04-2012
V.I.P.

Can't think of many but I love it when an adaptation is visually stunning and either a total twist from the book or as accurate as possible. I loved Love in the Times of Cholera as it was exactly how I pictured every scene and character.. I didn't love the book and was immune to the actual story in the film but it's amazing the visual adaptation. Also Baz Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet.. I was 10 when it came out and had recently been exposed to Shakespeare's work.. I love how he made it so modern but still kind of hallucinating in all the emotions that are mixed in. Also thought Cuarón's Great Expectations was beautiful.. especially the southern scenes .. same for Martin Ritts' The Sound and the Fury. Oh and Adrian Lyne's Lolita (much better than Kubrick's Lolita for me, don't shoot!).

Arráncame la vida
.. another favorite.. Sneider's take on the first decades of the 20th century in Latin America are exactly how I imagine it to be.
Joe Wright's Pride and Prejudice too.. I found the BBC version so cringe-worthy, sorry.. to me Wright's made the book exciting, he adds so much suspense without sacrificing the 'romance'.

eta* forgot one of my all-time favorites: Giacomo Campiotti's Dr. Zhivago for the BBC..

I'm so excited about the upcoming adaptation of Anna Karenina.. it's one of my favorite books.

Last edited by MulletProof; 20-04-2012 at 06:19 PM.

21-04-2012
Stitch:the Hand

^i can't wait for that one either.

although there have been so many adaptations,i actually prefer the 1944 version with joan fontaine and the 1996 version of jane eyre with charlotte gainsbourg. also really looking forward to finally getting to see the andrea arnold adaptation of wuthering heights.

one of my favorite films is the sally potter directed & written and tilda swinton starred adaptation of virginia woolf's orlando.

Last edited by Scott; 21-04-2012 at 12:36 PM.
21-04-2012
V.I.P.

^ Ah, you just reminded me I still need to see that movie (Orlando), I love Sally Potter, and I remember I actually had to see that for school some years ago but could never find it.

I'll add Jane Eyre w/ Charlotte Gainsbourg to my list as well .. I heard the 2011 version was also pretty decent.

V.I.P.

Yes, Orlando is a great adaptation of a complex and lengthy book by Woolf, but Potter does a fabulous job (I actually even own her screenplay as it's worth reading/looking at on its own), and I too am a fan of Zeffirelli's version of Jane Eyre - mainly because of Charlotte.

I thought The Hours was a very well done adaptation of a recent book, and the Swedish versions of The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo films were good as well. Others have mentioned Persepolis and i agree - the film was a fab adaptation of the graphic novels.

So many Stephen King novels have been adapted; I truly enjoyed the interpretation of Misery as black humour.

For Shakespearean adaptations, I love the updated, anachronistic ones: Baz's Romeo and Juliet and the Almereyda Hamlet with Ethan Hawke.

Speaking of anachronisms, I thought Sofia Coppola did a great job with Antonia Fraser's very detailed (and incredibly written -- what prose!) biography of Marie Antoinette; she captured Antonia's sympathetic eye towards the young dauphine and she did so through the update itself I think: making it as a period piece wouldn't have worked as well. Her Virgin Suicides is incredible too - do read Eugenides book if you haven't; it's great.

I love the old black and white Wuthering Heights with Laurence Olivier. "Heathcliff, I am you!" - ah what a transcendent moment.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 21-04-2012 at 11:04 PM.
21-04-2012
V.I.P.

Here it is:

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
22-04-2012
fashion icon

^I recently saw The Hours and I completely agree. It was fantastic. To be honest, when I first saw it I couldn't believe that Nicole Kidman was playing Virginia Woolf, normally I'm not a massive fan of hers, but she really played the character well.

Also, does anyone else remember the Anne of Green Gables film/miniseries? I used to watch it all the time when I was little. But I watched it earlier this year and as far as translation from book to movie I think it did a really good job. The girl who played Anne totally nailed down the character. I mean, who doesn't remember that scene where she smashed her slate over Gilbert Blythe's head? Classic.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
adaptations, favourite, film