How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-09-2004
Rebaptising my badness

Don't know if this is the right place for this but here we go

I'm going through the difficult process of choosing the best digi cam I can afford with the money I have - I'm saving for the next 4 or 5 months so I'll be able to buy something fairly good.

What digi cams do you people suggest? What's the best I can buy for less than US$ 400?

01-09-2004
V.I.P.

No idea, although I did read an article about finding a good one once. I'd say do some research and shop around a bit. I want one too, eventually...

01-09-2004
V.I.P.

Things to worry about are if the pictures lag, time taken from button press to capture, and the pixel size of the images. Also, the size of the memory card flash card things.

I'd reccomendsomething from the sony cybershot series, you can always trust a sony.

01-09-2004
Rebaptising my badness

sony is expensive... but I agree with you, Gooch. That's probably the best digicam series around.

Soviet Camaro

dpreview.com is the best review site I have seen for digicams.

I personally love the Canon Powershots, but there are good Nikons and Olympus's in that price range too.

V.I.P.

I saw one in a shop in the UK for under £180. A good one. Thats below 400 dollars right?

01-09-2004
Soviet Camaro

Yes, 322.88 USD according to the xe.com converter.

Rebaptising my badness

Thanks Purple, Gucci and Tangerine. I'm checking on that site know. It's really good.

Proponent of Plaid

I positively adore my Canon Powershot A70. The A75 is available now at around $250-300. It's a 3.2 megapixel model. For personal use, it is hard to do better than a Canon. It is a good, sturdy little camera, easy to use, and versatile. It comes with a 16MB memory card, which will hold about 25 large, high-res images, and about 50 smaller, high-res images. I have it set on the smallest setting for most of the pictures I post here of my sewing and vintage clothes. I bought a second memory card for mine that is 128MB, because I am about to go on vacation and will be taking a LOT of pictures and not having time to upload them.

See if you can go to a place like Best Buy and mess around with their floor models and see what you like best.

Also, when you get a digi, you NEED to get a battery-charger kit and some rechargeable NImH batteries. All digital cameras are power hogs, and will suck down batteries like nobody's business. I'm a big advocate of the Rayovac 15 minute charger. As advertised, it is fast, plus it is one of the more cost effective models out there. The base unit comes with two batteries and costs about $30, plus packs of extra batteries run around $12. It is easily worth it to spend about $50 up front on a charger and a couple of extra sets of rechargeable batteries.

Rebaptising my badness

Thanks, As You Like It. I'm probably going for the A75.

Soviet Camaro

I second AYLI's remarks about the NiMH rechargeables and Rayovac charger. These are must-haves.

flaunt the imperfection..

great topic...

i'm in the market too...
i still haven't developed pics from my trip in may...

plus i want to document my belongings fo insurance purposes and a digicam seems the most effective way to do this...

01-09-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Once you have a digi, you will find yourself taking more pictures than you ever have before. Not having to wait for processing and spend a lot of money of film released my inner shutterbug tendencies.

Now, I am going out and taking all of those architectural detail photos I always thought about taking, taking progress pictures of my garden, taking pictures of all my weird old vintage clothing, taking pictures of the cats being insane...I've easily got 1,000 photos saved on my hard-drive!

Rebaptising my badness

Quote:
Originally posted by As You Like It@Sep 1 2004, 11:26 PM
Once you have a digi, you will find yourself taking more pictures than you ever have before. Not having to wait for processing and spend a lot of money of film released my inner shutterbug tendencies.

Now, I am going out and taking all of those architectural detail photos I always thought about taking, taking progress pictures of my garden, taking pictures of all my weird old vintage clothing, taking pictures of the cats being insane...I've easily got 1,000 photos saved on my hard-drive!
[snapback]353473[/snapback]
I can't wait for that

princely

ive got an olympus stylus 410 digital 4 megapixel. i got it for 459 cad..but it should be cheaper if you are talking american$. The best ones they say are canons, and sony and olympus. for 400 dollars, you should be able to get one with video too. The videos quite useful, especially if there is something you want to record at the moment.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cam, digi