How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-05-2006

I saw it last night expecting to be disappointed, and I found that it was utterly, dreadfully disappointing nonetheless I was so surprised and saddened that I disliked it and that the film was of such poor quality (IMO).

I wrote a long review about it here:
http://users.livejournal.com/_____faith/71916.html

Beware, spoilers galore ^^

Last edited by Faith Akiyama; 27-05-2006 at 12:43 PM.

27-05-2006
backstage pass

I enjoyed your review, Faith, though we saw most everything differently. I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy it - I had resigned myself to hating it and was very pleasantly surprised, for many reasons, though I did find it very flawed in places.

I do have to address your comment on there not being any cheesy, cringey oneliners in the first two movies, when there were such gems as:

"What do they call you, Wheels?"
"The same thing that happens to everything else".
"I've got my eyes on you."

And probably many more I'm forgetting...I rolled my eyes at several lines in X3, but it seems like par for the course with these stories, unfortunately. I actually felt there were less this time around - maybe the more you're disliking the film the more they grate on your nerves

^I think with those lines, the style of delivery factor comes in. I remember all three (And much, much more), but like I said, I never cringed at any of them despite their existence (Whereas I cringed at almost every single one in X3). The last one in particular -- I remember actually being creeped out by the little boy/girl when he/she stated it in X2, instead of rolling my own eyes

Additionally, I definitely did at least believe that those lines were proper portions of the dialogue when they were spoken, instead of being obviously tacked on. I'm not sure if you know what I mean!

Last edited by Faith Akiyama; 27-05-2006 at 01:27 PM.
27-05-2006
V.I.P.

I feel so bad that i haven't watched it yet!

27-05-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith Akiyama

Additionally, I definitely did at least believe that those lines were proper portions of the dialogue when they were spoken, instead of being obviously tacked on. I'm not sure if you know what I mean!
I think I do If it makes you feel any better there were two moments in the film where I felt like my eyes were going to roll so far back into my head they'd come out the other side

X3 did desperately need a better editor. And someone with a better grasp of what needs to be shown to make character motivations seem more organic. I don't think it needed an extra hour, like many people do, just another well spent 15 minutes or so. There was one thing so starkly missing - don't want to spoil, but with Magneto & Phoenix, after the scene with Charles - that it's still making me upset 24 hours later. I haven't written a fanfic in like 4 years, but I'm almost tempted to start again and fill this hole in the script, for the sake of my sanity

^ My friend, who saw the film with me and sat in the next seat, hit me so many times during the movie because she could see me moaning and groaning out of the corner of her eye

I know exactly what you mean about the character developments - being able to see the powers and the true diversity of the mutant population was very fascinating, but the introduction of everyone at once made each individual appear more shallow than they could've been. This even applied to the ones we were already familiar with...

Haha! And you should definitely write more X-Men fanfic...that's what fandom is for, right? To fulfill our personal hungers and to peacefully retaliate against what is distasteful in our eyes!

Last edited by Faith Akiyama; 27-05-2006 at 01:58 PM.
28-05-2006
V.I.P.

I haven't watched it yet but I hear they didn't show the full Phoenix. How disappointing since that was suppose to be the really really good part of the storyline.

28-05-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess
I haven't watched it yet but I hear they didn't show the full Phoenix. How disappointing since that was suppose to be the really really good part of the storyline.
I'm a HUGE Phoenix fan. Like obsessively so. Like, have thought about getting a small tattoo of the phoenix symbol somewhere (a stylized, delicate, scrolly looking one, but still - I want to permanently mark my body with a reminder of the character And they don't show the firebird/full Phoenix...but you know, I really didn't care. I actually think it would have distracted me from the story if they had...it would have looked out of place. Too cartoony I don't quite know how to describe it. I'm glad they did it the way they did. There is fire, she uses her powers quite terrifyingly - even at the climax she looks as though she's just warming up - and there is one scene where between Famke's expressions and body language, and the special effects, she actually manages to remind you of a bird of prey. It was chilling.

Faith, I think I will give it a try

Obsessed

i just watched it .
for me, it's pretty well but not so impressive,

28-05-2006
V.I.P.

Hello everyone,
I just watched this movie last night...

I did enjoy the movie, but my only main complaint is that it seemed at times like some of the story lines (that were very interesting) weren't developped as much as they could have been.

For example, the angel-guy and his father... he seemed like a really interesting character and there was quite a decent amount of build up to a story line involving him... but at the end, nothing really happened.

Besides that, Scott's death wasen't take that seriously it seemed... or what happened to Mystique.. or even to the child who was the ''cure''...

I feel like there was more potential for this film to be greater than it was.. the storylines were great but maybe it just wasen't edited right, or edited just too much...

However, for all the fans... this movie still remains pretty decent in my opinion with some very funny and exciting moments.

PS: did anyone wait until after the credits and see the last scene?

They were leafing through your hair
28-05-2006

^I did It was a great moment (Especially for comic book fans, I imagine )!

Highlight to see:
Moira is Professor X's ex-fiancee in the comics...

28-05-2006
backstage pass

I saw the last scene Out of about 150-200 people in the theater, only 8 of us stayed

My mom urged me to go back today, even though we're going tomorrow as a family. It was very odd, since she usually discourages my X-Men habit. I liked it more the second time - pacing was much better, plot was tighter, though there were still a couple gaping holes, I noticed a lot more detail, especially with Famke's acting choices (her face is so expressive!). The only things that seemed worse were the young Jean flashback - the kid from the Omen trailer has nothing on that bitchy little psycho, which would be fun, except it implies that Jean and Phoenix are not two halves of a whole, but that Jean is just a neutered Phoenix - and some of the dialogue. Oh, Faith, you ruined it for me :p

V.I.P.

Oouhh Thanks Faith!! I diden't know that....

I know, me too there were only a few people who stayed..
I heard that there was going to be a Logan and Jean spin-off movies... do you think this is true?

They were leafing through your hair
28-05-2006
God Save McQueen

can someone summarize what happenedafter the credits?

the movie was so miserable and bad, i didnt bother staying

30-05-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade
can someone summarize what happenedafter the credits?
It was a nice bookend to the first scene, where Xavier tells Magneto how he "feels about the misuse of power" - well, after the credits you see Moira with the man in the bed we saw in the video (that Charles was discussing, asking if it would be ethical to place another person's consciousness in his body) and the main says, "Hello, Moira" in Patrick Stewart's voice, and she gasps "Charles!" because apparently he's misused his power and transferred his consciousness into the "empty" body.

Updated thoughts (and some from my parents) after seeing it a 2nd and 3rd time. Mostly Jean, Erik, and Charles thoughts, if anyone is interested

http://neitherbeastnorgod.blogspot.c...eviews-x3.html

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
film, series, xmen