How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-08-2011
V.I.P.

I read a great YA book called "Elsewhere" by Gabrielle Zevin, not sure if it's fantasty, but it is about the afterlife. I loved it so much, very poignant and beautiful story.

19-08-2011
front row

"A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin , there are 5 books published from a total of seven. It is a medieval adult fantasy. Really enjoyable.

1. A Game of Thrones
2. A Clash of Kings
3. A Storm of Swords
4. A Feast for Crows
5. A Dance with Dragons
6. The Winds of Winter (Forthcoming)
7. A Dream of Spring (Forthcoming)

19-08-2011
V.I.P.

re: the Diana Gabalson series: do you have to read them in the right order? i think i have one of them, but it's def not the first...i think it's the fifth. should i start with the first one or can i just read that one?

i' currently reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman. it's set in the future where it's forbidden to abort children from the time they're conceived until the age of 13. between 13 and 18 parents can file an order to "unwind" them which means that every part of them will be 'donated' to other humans who need a new lung/arm etc. the book follows three kids who escape and are on the run. it's quite enjoyable so far but i don't like the changes in narration with each chapter. in the "A song of ice and fire" series it makes sense and i actually love it, but here it's not that needed and it's rather annoying.

Last edited by Alvedansen; 19-08-2011 at 08:31 PM.
20-08-2011
V.I.P.

^Yes, you definitely should read them in the correct order.
Each book is a continuation of the previous one, so it would be confusing if you didn't. Here's the order:
Outlander
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn
The Fiery Cross
A Breath of Snow and Ashes
An Echo in the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostgirl View Post
I love that series. Really enjoyable reads. Definitely not YA and I don't know if I'd call them fantasy. I think they're more historical with a sci-fi/time travel twist.

Which book are you on?
I just finished Drums of Autumn and I'm about to start The Fiery Cross.
And I agree. Definitely not YA.

Last edited by sobriquet87; 20-08-2011 at 12:41 AM.
20-08-2011
V.I.P.

^The Fiery Cross a transitional book in a lot of ways. It doesn't have as much action as some of the previous installments. It's still a good read, and there are some important revelations. But it's laregly about bringing the characters to a time and place where they need to be for the events of A Breathe of Snow and Ashes.

The only thing that annoys me at times is that it takes soooo long for each new book to come out! I've heard rumor that the 8th book will close the series but I don't know if that's true or not. But what's nice about the series is that there are a lot of little "extras" to keep you busy. For example, Gabaldon recently wrote a graphic novel called The Exile which covers roughly a third of the first book in the series. It's told from the perspective of Murtough (Jamie's godfather) and lets us in on things that happened while the events of the first novel were going on, that Claire wasn't involved in.

Have you ever read the Lord John Grey mysteries? They feature Lord John as the main character (though Jamie makes a few appearences as well). They're not as compulsively readable as the Outlander books but they're a nice spin-off series.

Last edited by lostgirl; 20-08-2011 at 04:22 AM.
07-11-2011
V.I.P.

found this nice chart on how to chose the right fantasy/SciFi book, thought i'd share it with you guys

box.net

07-11-2011
V.I.P.

^that´s really interesting, thanks a lot

07-11-2011
tfs star

that chart is good, I find the ocean of books out there so overwhelming sometimes.
I read Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor recently, I didn't like it much, too weird.
I'm now waiting on a library copy of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

07-11-2011
rising star

Anything by Tamora Pierce is fabulous, but I recommend starting with her The Song of the Lionness Quartet.

I'd recommend in this order:
The Song of the Lionness Quartet
The Immortals Quartet
Protector of the Small Quartet

^These are all set in the same realm, but each follows a different strong, female character.

Then there's the Beka Cooper series, which is also set in the same realm, but earlier in time than the others. It involves an ancestor of one of the main characters in Song of the Lionness. Really good, but this series is still in progress.

Then there's the Trickster's series, also set in the same realm with a character related to a Song of the Lionness character. It's the one I've never been able to get into. The female lead really rubs me the wrong way.

Then there's the Circle of Magic/The Circle Opens/Will of the Empress books, which originally were geared towards younger audiences, but by Empress, they grew into YA. They're a little young, but I still think they're good, if a bit simplistic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamora_Pierce

Last edited by ATM1985; 07-11-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Added Link
07-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostgirl View Post
^The Fiery Cross a transitional book in a lot of ways. It doesn't have as much action as some of the previous installments. It's still a good read, and there are some important revelations. But it's laregly about bringing the characters to a time and place where they need to be for the events of A Breathe of Snow and Ashes.

The only thing that annoys me at times is that it takes soooo long for each new book to come out! I've heard rumor that the 8th book will close the series but I don't know if that's true or not. But what's nice about the series is that there are a lot of little "extras" to keep you busy. For example, Gabaldon recently wrote a graphic novel called The Exile which covers roughly a third of the first book in the series. It's told from the perspective of Murtough (Jamie's godfather) and lets us in on things that happened while the events of the first novel were going on, that Claire wasn't involved in.

Have you ever read the Lord John Grey mysteries? They feature Lord John as the main character (though Jamie makes a few appearences as well). They're not as compulsively readable as the Outlander books but they're a nice spin-off series.

Just noticed this reply. lol. I've finally finished the series now, and I agree The Fiery Cross was definitely a transitional book.
It's the one I liked the least and it took me the longest to finish.

I haven't read the John Grey series, but Diana has a new book coming out called "The Scottish Prisoner," which is entirely from Jamie's POV and it takes place during that 20 year period that Claire is gone.

I was on Diana's site recently and she actually said that book 8 won't be the last one, so that's something to look forward to.

Last edited by sobriquet87; 07-11-2011 at 06:16 PM.
31-12-2011
tfs star

forget Hunger Games, read this

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Self-published but better than most traditionally published books I've read this year.

19-06-2012
fashion icon

So I thought I would try and bring back this thread...mainly because I have a question for everyone... has anyone read Divergent by Veronica Roth? I've been hearing a lot about it lately and was wondering if it's any good. Some people have compared the book to The Hunger Games (which I loved) but I wonder if this is just because it's a sort of dystopian future with a strong female lead? Anyways... here's a few YA books that I always love recommending....

The Hunger Games- I'm recommending this though I'm sure most people commenting on this thread have read it already. Katniss is such a great character, I love the complexity of her.

The Gemma Doyle Trilogy- It's really different then most YA books, a great series with complex characters and themes of feminism all mixed into a historical/fantasy plot.

The Giver- I will always love this book. The first time I herd this story was when my fourth grade teacher read it to my class, which in hindsight was probably a little too young, but I just loved the story. Such a powerful message.

The Perks of Being A Wallflower- Beautifully written and one of those books that deals with powerful issues.

Ella Enchanted- This is probably on the younger end of the YA genre but still a good (and quick) read. It's a retelling of the classic Cinderella story, definitely way better then that crappy movie with Anne Hathaway. And probably one of the first books aimed at young girls that I read which wrote a "Cinderella story" with a strong, intelligent female character.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
So I thought I would try and bring back this thread...mainly because I have a question for everyone... has anyone read Divergent by Veronica Roth? I've been hearing a lot about it lately and was wondering if it's any good. Some people have compared the book to The Hunger Games (which I loved) but I wonder if this is just because it's a sort of dystopian future with a strong female lead? Anyways... here's a few YA books that I always love recommending....
If you're a fan of The Hunger Games and The Giver, then Divergent is worth a read. It's definitely a dystopian future but I found it a touch more formulaic than the best the genre has to offer. I didn't think the heroine was that strong but that could be due to the fact that it's the first in a trilogy and she develops into a strong heroine as the series progresses. Just don't be looking for a butt-kicking Katniss type heroine! It's enjoyable, with some intersting parts though. Definitely a quick, absorbing read.

Yay for being a Gemma Doyle trilogy fan by the way I love Libba Bray!

Editing to add a few reccomendations:

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi- I suppose you could call it dystopian but it goes in a different direction than most dystopian novels
Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan- Along the lines of Across the Universe by Beth Revis, but I acutally liked this book a little better.
A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan- A (non-dystopian) futuristic rendering of the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale with some intersting twists
The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester- Not technically YA (I suppose it's geared for older children rather than teens) but a very fun read.

Last edited by lostgirl; 19-06-2012 at 03:14 AM.
20-06-2012
V.I.P.

What's YA books, guys?

I've read the comments and I love Anna and The French Kiss by Perkins and The Perks Of being a wallflower
Posted via Mobile Device

21-06-2012
V.I.P.

^ YA= Young Adult- books geared to readers in their teens, though lately authors have been writing books that are technically YA but appeal to adults as well

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, ya or fantasy