How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-06-2012
V.I.P.

^ ah thanks
then Lola and The Boy Next Door by Perkins is also a good one

22-06-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostgirl View Post
If you're a fan of The Hunger Games and The Giver, then Divergent is worth a read. It's definitely a dystopian future but I found it a touch more formulaic than the best the genre has to offer. I didn't think the heroine was that strong but that could be due to the fact that it's the first in a trilogy and she develops into a strong heroine as the series progresses. Just don't be looking for a butt-kicking Katniss type heroine! It's enjoyable, with some intersting parts though. Definitely a quick, absorbing read.

Yay for being a Gemma Doyle trilogy fan by the way I love Libba Bray!
I'm a little more then halfway through Divergent and so far I'm really enjoying it. I find that parts of the story are a bit obvious, like the romance storyline or information about Four, but overall it's a good read. I can also see some the similarities that people have made about Divergent and The Hunger Games but personally I don't see why both of them can't exist and be popular. The world needs more strong, multifaceted characters like Tris and Katniss!

And as for the Gemma Doyle trilogy... they are so, so good! I know some people won't agree with me, but I think that they could make for an amazing movie or mini-series. They would just have to find the right cast and director for it though. They are so different from a lot of YA books I think, with some rather intriguing story-lines.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I can also see some the similarities that people have made about Divergent and The Hunger Games but personally I don't see why both of them can't exist and be popular. The world needs more strong, multifaceted characters like Tris and Katniss!
I agree. Personally I found Katniss to be a bit stronger and more complex then Tris. But I think a part of that is because Divergent is essentially about Tris questioning and trying to discover who she is. It takes a certain level of strength just to do that, I suppose, but it's hard to establish her as character when she's not sure who she is and what she wants. I haven't read the sequel but I would imagine/hope she begins to emerge more as a person in her own right (away from factions) as the story continues. Katniss on the other hand was more of a strong character from book one. She knows who she is, and what she wants and is willing to do anything to protect her family. That stays the same through all three books.

Quote:
And as for the Gemma Doyle trilogy... they are so, so good! I know some people won't agree with me, but I think that they could make for an amazing movie or mini-series. They would just have to find the right cast and director for it though. They are so different from a lot of YA books I think, with some rather intriguing story-lines.
That's one thing I love about them. Not only are all 4 characters three dimentional human beings with flaws, and strengths, and weaknesses and goals, and dreams; but the way they develop doesn't follow the predictible, generic mold.

I actually read that the first book had be optioned for a film, but the deal fell through. Too bad. If it's done well (always a big "if"!) it could a great film or series of films. Maybe someday. Libba Bray is beginning a new series called The Diviners and has already sold the film rights for that. The first book comes out this summer.

02-11-2012
V.I.P.

These aren't really YA Fantasy books, but they are YA and they're not exactly realistic so hopefully it's not too OT. Anyway, one of my major guilty pleasures is what I call the "historical trash" genre. These tend to be set in other time periods and feature lots of soapy goings on. Some of my faves include:

The Luxe Series by Anne Godberson
These books have been compared to Gossip Girl. If Gossip Girl were set in 1899. It opens at the funeral of Elizabeth Holland, on what was to have been her wedding day. A wealthy, beautiful socialite and the toast of New York City, Elizabeth was engaged to the handsome and equally wealthy Henry Schoonmaker. Of course as we learn as we flash back to the days before the funeral, she was secretly in love with William Keller, her family's coachman. Her supposedly best friend Penelope Hayes has had her eye on Henry because she thinks he will catapult her from the realms of the nouveau riche into high society for real. Meanwhile, Henry is secretly in love with Elizabeth's younger sister Diana, who may just return his feelings. And then there's Lina, Elizabeth's scheming maid. The series is made up of four books: The Luxe, Rumors, Envy, and Splendor.

(source: beautyandthebookshelf.blogspot)

Bright Young Things series by Anne Godberson
In Bright Young Things Godberson turns her focus on NYC and Long Island in the summer of 1929. It follows three girls: Letty Larkspur (not her real name) off to NYC to make it as a star on stage. She brings with her BFF Cordelia Grey, intent on finding the father she never knew- an infamous and wealthy bootlegger. They meet up with Astrid Donal, a flapper who seems to have it all- including a lot of secrets. We are told that by the end of the summer, one of these girls will be famous, one will be married, and one will be dead. I believe this is intended as a trilogy, with the final book being released later this month (the books in order are Bright Young Things, Beautiful Days, The Lucky Ones) In some ways these are a little more restrained, and less melodramatic than The Luxe series. But only a little! We'll soon see what the conclusion has to offer!

(source: alloyentertainment.com)

The Flappers
These books (also a trilogy) by Jillian Larkin are set in roughly the same time period as the Bright Young Things series. Once again we meet three girls in the roaring twenties. This series moves between Chicago and NYC. Gloria Carmody is attracted to the flapper lifestyle but engaged to the stuffy Sebastian Grey. One night, while sneaking out to a speakeasy she runs into the handsome, black piano player Jerome, who she knows won't be accepted by her conservative family. Meanwhile, Gloria's cousin Clara Knowles has been brought in from the farm to keep an eye on Gloria and make sure Gloria's wedding goes on as planned. But Clara isn't as goody two shoes as she seems: she's got secrets that she needs to keep hidden. Gloria's best friend Lorainne Dyer, meanwhile is desperately jealous of all the Gloria has, and her envy is about to take a turn for the worse. Once secrets are exposed, everything changes. This trilogy (Vixen, Ingenue, Diva) has all the melodramatic backstabbing of The Luxe books in a Bright Young Things setting.

(source: gossglossandglam.wordpress)

These books are like candy. I averaged about one a day. There's a lot of entertainment value but not a lot of brain power.

But a word of warning, they're not all good. Abby Grahame's Wentworth Hall for example, looked promising (the cover even compared it to Downton Abbey) but felt rushed and very predictable.

Still if anyone knows of anything good in this particular YA subgenre, I'd love to know!

Last edited by lostgirl; 02-11-2012 at 01:11 AM.
04-11-2012
fashion icon

I'm in the same boat as you lostgirl, I have a weakness for "historical trash," there is something about setting a book in a different era which doesn't make it automatically as trashy as if it were set nowadays. I think this is part of the reason I could never get into books like Gossip Girl because of the modern setting, the characters were insufferable. I've read The Luxe series and I rather liked the books, it was a quick read. And secretly, I think that they could be a really fun, soapy television series. But a lot of people would say it's a "wannabe Downton Abbey," so...

Another book which I'd recommend is I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith. It's never actually says what time period it set in- but most-likely the 1930's- and tells the story of Cassandra Mortmain and her family who live in an old castle in the English countryside. It's one of my all time favorite books because it's so well written, funny at times, and Cassandra is a really relatable character.

V.I.P.

I would recommend the Gemma Doyle trilogy, The Hunger Games trilogy and the Obernewtyn Chronicles. They are well written and stand out in this particular genre to me.

For a more adult book, I love the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. They are historial fiction with time travel. One of my absolute favorite book series!

It is interesting to hear that people liked Divergent by Veronica Roth. I have had it in my hand a couple of times at the bookstore, but changed my mind at the last minute. I think I will have to read it now.

Last edited by wickedcrazyness; 06-11-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, ya or fantasy