How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-04-2011
tfs star

YA/Fantasy books
Let's recommend/ review/ discuss YA/Fantasy books!

02-04-2011
tfs star

My favourites that I've recently read:

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
- I had low expectations given the title and cover but everyone was raving about it, and they were right! It's like a really good romantic comedy movie in book form. The boy reminded me of Robert Pattinson, in both looks and real life personality.

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
- I thought it was kind of silly and derivative but ok with the first book. But by book 3 I was won over. It started to get quite awesome. And now I'm looking forward to book 4 released very soon!

02-04-2011
V.I.P.

I´ve recently finished the 7 book saga of The Dark Tower by Stephen King. Wouldnt exactly call it YA but it´s a fantasy/sci fi/western story.
I loved it! Essentially it´s the story of a man searching for the center of his universe, a sort of God that holds everything together. The Tower is falling apart and with it his world (which is a sort of post apocalyptic one).
Along his journey he "recruits" a boy, a young man and a young woman (all have very interesting stories and problems) to help him find the Tower and stop those who are destroying it. King also introduces characters from his other novels which if you´re a fan would love but if not, won´t bother you.
I couldn help but fall in love with the characters and the story after reading book four I was so sad that it took me like a month to pick book five lol

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43615.The_Gunslinger

02-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml2 View Post
The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
- I thought it was kind of silly and derivative but ok with the first book. But by book 3 I was won over. It started to get quite awesome. And now I'm looking forward to book 4 released very soon!
I´ve seen it in the bookstore and wondered about it...
I think I´ll give it a try

funny how split is people´s opinion! lots of 1 vs 5 stars in goodreads.com

Last edited by kokobombon; 02-04-2011 at 07:35 PM.
02-04-2011
tfs star

give them a try!
It is considered a contender for the 'next big thing' along with Hunger Games.
Like a lot of YA, the writing is not great but the story worlds are fun and addictive.
The author used to write Harry Potter fanfiction, and there was some silly controversy or something and many of the one stars come from people wrapped up in that I think.

03-04-2011
V.I.P.

Obernewtyn Chronicles - about a girl messiah living in a dystopian society set after a nuclear holocaust. The author has been writing it since she was a teenager, and the description of the world in the books is eerily similar to what the world might be like post nuclear-holocaust.

Gemma Doyle Trilogy

Blue Bloods

Mortal Instruments Trilogy | Infernal Devices Trilogy

But satisfaction brought it back
21-05-2011
tfs star

I just finished Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices #1)
it was pretty fun! I think I like it better than Mortal Instruments.
Some of it was silly but I like the 3 main characters and am interested in their secrets. I like Will better than Jace

21-05-2011
V.I.P.

I'm not a big Fantasy person, but I love the Harry Potter and Lord of the Ring series.
The Hunger Games is also great YA/Fantasy series.
I've recently heard about a book called Divergent by Veronica Roth that I might read.

But I can definitely give a recommendation for a YA book to avoid, it's called Matched by Ally Condie...the author can't write for s**t.

22-05-2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I am 2 books into the 3 book series by Carrie Ryan, starting with "The Forest of Hands and Teeth". I basically only picked these up because they are zombie centric, but they're not too bad as far as YA fiction goes. Once you get past the part where the female protaganist is generally a PITA and the romance is stomach churning, YA books aren't too terrible.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet87 View Post
But I can definitely give a recommendation for a YA book to avoid, it's called Matched by Ally Condie...the author can't write for s**t.
Haha I agre it's poorly written but I did enjoy the story!

As for books to recommend I'll second the recs for The Hunger Games trilogy, the Obernewtyn Chronicles, and the Gemma Doyle trilogy. All great reads and they don't fall into the trap antifeminist stomach churning romance that the poorer examples of the genre do.

Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices books aren't as good but are still worth a read. As are Carrie Ryan's Forest of Hands and Teeth and Dead Tossed Waves (I think a third book recently came out)

I'll add to the list:
Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore
A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb

22-05-2011
V.I.P.

My favorite YA author when I was in high school was Christopher Pike. His books are like more mature, better written versions of the Fearstreet books.

I also loved the Georgia Nicholson series when I was in high school.

13-08-2011
V.I.P.

didn't know where else to put it, but has anyone here read World War Z? it's about a guy after a worldwide zombie apocalypse who interviews survivors to find out what exactly happened. i loved the book, it had some really interesting political plots (how would certain countried/the military react) and the many survivor stories were pretty cool as well.
Brad Pitt is currently filming the movie version but it sounds like they turned it into the average zombie movie =/
Here's the official synopsis from Paramount:
Quote:

"The story revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself."
this is not what the book is about at all, so disappointed right now, i was really looking forward to the movie =(

V.I.P.

I just started reading an adult fantasy/historical fiction series called Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.
It's really good. I definitely recommend it. They're massive books though, so be prepared for a ton of reading.

13-08-2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I recently read Divergent by Veronica Roth and it was really good. I would definitely suggest reading this if you like YA Dystopian.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet87 View Post
I just started reading an adult fantasy/historical fiction series called Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.
It's really good. I definitely recommend it. They're massive books though, so be prepared for a ton of reading.
I love that series. Really enjoyable reads. Definitely not YA and I don't know if I'd call them fantasy. I think they're more historical with a sci-fi/time travel twist.

Which book are you on?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, ya or fantasy