How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

12-12-2013
fashion elite

Interview The Edit
Quote:
ALESSANDRA AMBROSIO has been voted “The Sexiest Woman Alive” and regularly struts her stuff as a Victoria’s Secret Angel. Yet the woman with the world’s most envied body comes from a small town in Brazil, is a mother of two, and admits to struggling with baby weight. CELIA WALDEN talks to the world’s most surprising supermodel.

Alessandra Ambrosio is showing me her ears. They are delicate and perfectly formed like the rest of her, but after a botched operation when she was 11 years old, the Brazilian supermodel keeps them hidden. “I always knew I wanted to be a model so I decided to have my ears pinned back, because they stuck out a bit. I found this doctor in my hometown [of Erechim] in Brazil who had only done it once before, so I was a guinea pig,” Ambrosio says, laughing. “The first few nights, it felt like someone had cut off my ears. For a year, I had to go back for mini-surgeries. Doctors say they can fix them, but cosmetic surgery freaks me out now.”

Ears aside, the 32-year-old will just have to coast through life with the looks God – or some sadist in the sky intent on condemning womankind to a state of eternal jealousy – gave her. Today, sitting in a Santa Monica bar, her willowy 5ft 9in frame in a vintage plaid shirt (her fiancé’s, Californian businessman Jamie Mazur), black leggings and Saint Laurent biker boots, it is hard not to look at the woman opposite me without recalling the words Chelsea Handler uttered when she had Ambrosio on her show: “Where did those kids come out of?” Because one of the few things that we know about this most secret of Victoria’s Secret Angels is that she is a mother of two – Anja, 5 and Noah, 19 months – and walked the runway three months after having her first child. “I knew that I had the show to do after having [Anja] – and actually I was expecting my body to go back quicker,” Ambrosio says, sipping a green tea. “People kept telling me that I would bounce back straight away, but a week after giving birth I still had that balloon belly. It was the first time in my life that I had to diet. Before I had my kids, if I gained one or two pounds I would just eat salad and it would be OK. But when I got pregnant with Anja I really went for it with food. I gained 60lbs, so I had a lot to lose.” She started seeing a trainer six times a week and signed up to a calorie-controlled meal-delivery service. “It was 1,500 calories a day as I was breastfeeding. I [was] so excited one day because it said that I was going to have a hamburger. I was at a barbecue and when I opened up the burger box, the bun was as thick as a piece of lettuce. My friends laughed their heads off...”

Now that she is back to her target weight, Ambrosio is less strict. She had a real burger for dinner last night, she tells me, and her fiancé has got her into yoga, which she does three times a week, along with Pilates. In LA – where she moved in 2008 when she and Mazur got engaged – she and Mazur surf, play volleyball and throw barbecues in their
Santa Monica home. Their wholesome, idyllic life – captured daily by the paparazzi – has become part of Ambrosio’s brand, something she has been shrewd enough to capitalize on through Twitter and Instagram. Next year she is launching Alé by Alessandra, a lifestyle brand that will include clothing, fragrance and accessories. “Hopefully one day I’ll have an empire,” she smiles. “When I started modeling at 15, after modeling school, I thought it would all be over for me by 19, but that’s just not the case anymore.”

Ambrosio was already a successful catwalk model – and the face of Calvin Klein in 1999 and Guess? in 2000 – before Victoria’s Secret made her an ‘Angel’ at 22. Were her Catholic parents shocked to see their daughter parading down the runway in underwear? “No,” she laughs. “Brazil is a very sexual country. Women are always showing their boobs and butts on the beach. And I’ve been careful: even if I did Playboy, I wouldn’t want to do something that looks vulgar.” Is that something she is considering? “I would have to discuss it with my family and make sure it was artistic. Cindy Crawford and Stephanie Seymour did it and they made me want to model. It’s funny how casual you become about [your breasts] after children. I mean, you breast-feed in front of your parents… Still, after two kids, they’re not the same. I’m afraid of having anything done, though: there’s too much of that in LA.”

Mazur, Ambrosio tells me, is as unimpressed by artificial women as he is by the world of celebrity. What is the breakfast-table talk like when your fiancée is voted one of the “sexiest women alive”, as Ambrosio regularly is? “Oh, he doesn’t care,” she shrugs. “Sometimes he gets annoyed by the way people treat me and the celebrity thing.”

Does she ever feel objectified by the media – and men? “I feel like my job is to be this beautiful girl who sells clothes. And there are good things about this career: you’re inspiring people, making them feel good about themselves. Clothes are something that elevate every woman’s mood.” Does she consider herself a feminist? “A little bit,” she says. “I come from a family where women are very strong. They rule the house and I’m the same.” That desire never to be subservient, along with a “jealous nature”, is why she never joined those models who date A-listers. “I can be quite jealous, and when I see models with famous men, I think, that [is not] for me. I want a man to myself. There’s already competition for a normal guy; I’m not up to fighting other women off.”

Judging by the envious/libidinous gazes of every woman and man as she saunters off, however, I am fairly certain that Alessandra Ambrosio could hold her own.
net-a-porter

12-12-2013
fashion insider

I'm usually very impressed with The Edit when it comes to styling and photography, but this is kinda lackluster to me. I know they picked Ale because she is THE EMBODIMENT of sun and vacation etc. but I wish they had experimented a bit further with her. That being said, I LOVE the last shot.

12-12-2013
fashion insider

Update:

Campaigns:
-Avon Far Away Fragrance
-Arkitect shot by Greg Lotus

Misc:
-Heidi Klum in the desert (most like Germany's Next Top Model)
-TV appearance with Ana BB

Editorial:
-W Magazine, shot by Mario Sorrenti, styled by Edward Enninful with Rosie HW
-CARAS shoot at Hudson Castle during NYFW with Carolina Gonzalez (makeup) and Italo Gregorio (hair)
-Harper's Bazaar Russia cover + editorial shot in Beverly Hills
-LOVE styled by Panos Yiapanis, dark hair/bleached brows in Miami

Unknown:
-Mariano Vivanco shoot in Milan
-Giampaolo Sgura studio shoot in Paris
-Doutzen and Alessandra shoot in NYC
-Roller blading shoot in Venice Beach

12-12-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsnoop2 View Post
Update:

Campaigns:
-Avon Far Away Fragrance
-Arkitect shot by Greg Lotus

Misc:
-Heidi Klum in the desert (most like Germany's Next Top Model)
-TV appearance with Ana BB

Editorial:
-W Magazine, shot by Mario Sorrenti, styled by Edward Enninful with Rosie HW
-CARAS shoot at Hudson Castle during NYFW with Carolina Gonzalez (makeup) and Italo Gregorio (hair)
-Harper's Bazaar Russia cover + editorial shot in Beverly Hills
-LOVE styled by Panos Yiapanis, dark hair/bleached brows in Miami

Unknown:
-Mariano Vivanco shoot in Milan
-Giampaolo Sgura studio shoot in Paris
-Doutzen and Alessandra shoot in NYC
-Roller blading shoot in Venice Beach
Venice beach shoot was done by Eric Guillemain, Makeup by Sabrina Bedrani, Hair by Sheenon.

12-12-2013
V.I.P.

My office for the day #lovemyjob ❤️❤️❤️ #california☀️🌴🏄 #atwork

instagram.com/alessandraambrosio

12-12-2013
V.I.P.

Angel In The Sun (with article)
The Edit
(Net-A-Porter) - 12/12/2013

PH: Miguel Reveriego

alessandrasbeijos.com

12-12-2013
fashion insider

Shoot today was for S Moda (Spanish magazine) cover and editorial

13-12-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
2013 amfAR Inspiration Gala Los Angeles at Milk Studios on December 12, 2013 in Los Angeles, California.

zimbio.com

13-12-2013
V.I.P.

zimbio.com

13-12-2013
V.I.P.

^ OMG WOW Alessandra literally took my breath away in those pics! She looks stunning and i love the makeup and outfit!! Cant wait for HQ pics!

13-12-2013
fashion elite

Oh my f*cking god! Alessandra! She looks utterly amazing! Arguably her best red carpet look ever. A supermodel from head to toe, the hair, make up, dress, shoes, accessories.... it's just amazing!

13-12-2013
V.I.P.

Ale's wearing Hugo Boss Fall 2013

13-12-2013
V.I.P.

Perfection from head to toe. Love it

13-12-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea1983 View Post
Ale's wearing Hugo Boss Fall 2013
Thank you! I was looking all over for the gown, it looks like an Armani Prive.

13-12-2013
V.I.P.

When i saw that at first, I don't like this look, but now I think its not bad. Very brazilian. Not only the look, but that pose and glamour. Can imagine in her place Gisele, Izabel, Isabeli
Maybe I am wrong and brazilian disagree with me.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, 2014, alessandra, ambrosio, august, september