How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-07-2011
tfs star

Ph. Bec Lorrimer
Styled by Stephanie Airlie-Noe
Hair & Make Up Tara Airlie

fashion gone rogue

26-07-2011
front row

Mezi (fashion) plate: Anja Konstantinova dances around model protocol

Quote:
Another day, another big buzz new model, it seems, is springboarded out of the Australasian market. Twenty year-old Anja Konstantinova is not, however, just another sultry, sun-kissed Aussie blonde. Russian-born, Konstantinova has spent half her life downunder, moving here in 2001 with her prima ballerina mother Irina Konstantinova and father Sergei Konstantinov, both former principal dancers with the Kirov Ballet who now teach at The Australian Ballet School. Signed to Sydney agency Priscilla's six months ago, Konstantinova did just two shows at May's Australian Fashion Week (Ellery and Friend of Mine). But she has obviously caught the industry's eye. Since then, according to Priscilla's, she has shot for Vogue and GQ Australia, Oyster (five stories), Grazia (four stories), Marie Claire, No, Pages Online, Poster magazine, a Ksubi calendar, an Oroton catalogue and the Spring/Summer 2011/2012 campaign for rising Sydney jewellery brand Mezi. Above and below is a first look at the Mezi campaign shot by Patrick McGreal.

Repped by Viva in Paris, Marilyn in New York and Models One in London, the international market is also beckoning.

Last month Konstantinova flew to Paris to be shot for Jalouse magazine. In the US she has already shot campaigns for Urban Outfitters and Wildfox Couture, photographed by, respectively, Charlie Engman and Mark 'The Cobrasnake' Hunter.

All the hallmarks of a very promising modelling career, on which Konstantinova hopes to build over the next three and a half months in New York and Europe.

There's just one catch. Apart from her exotic Russian and ballet ancestry, there is one other factor which marks Konstantinova apart from the rest of the Australian model pack - make that the model pack, period.

She is only five foot four.

In an industry that has traditionally shut its doors to those under five ten, what's her secret?

"She’s extraordinary and her personality is amazing, I think that that makes a big difference" says Priscilla's agent, Lizzie Leighton-Clark. "And she’s so well in proportion as well. She’s got such a great personality, such a great look, I don't think it matters".

The photographic studio is of course very different to the runway, where models tend to be of uniform height.

At 5'7" Kate Moss was one famous exception to the industry standard. Another Priscilla's protegée, Bambi Northwood-Blyth, also 5'7", has recently managed considerable success on the international runway circuit, booking prestigious shows such as Chanel and Balenciaga.

With the Spring/Summer 2012 show season just two months away, what realistic chance does the even more petite Konstantinova have on the international circuit?

Notes Leighton-Clark, "I’m not sure about the shows, but I have no doubt that she’s going to be a major success. She might get one or two amazing shows. I think that everyone’s bored of the norm and looking for something a bit different".

Quote:
photography: patrick mcgreal
hair and makeup: max may
source: frockwriter.blogspot.com

05-08-2011
V.I.P.

Can't believe how small she is, she looks amazing in print!

V.I.P.

i hope she gets to walk some major shows!

V.I.P.

those aussie girls are something else...

06-08-2011
fashion icon

from Grazia Australia in December 2010

secretsquirrellabel.com

front row

^That is SUCH A NICE editorial, I bought that issue for a plane trip and I wish I didn't lose it! If it's not already been posted, I could try looking for it?

09-08-2011
fashion elite

I think this is her:

urbanoutfitters

V.I.P.

Yes it is

11-08-2011
void( )

in some photos she reminds me of daphne groeneveld a little bit.

V.I.P.

She has quite a mixture of current model looks

13-08-2011
V.I.P.

She's tiny but her porportions are great... and she's amazing in print... very current... I see a bit of Abbey Lee, and Lara S... one to watch... should be interesting...

tfs star

The (Sydney) Magazine
Purple Haze
Photographer | Steven Chee
Stylist | Penny McCarthy
Hair | Richard Kavanagh

doloreslavinmanagement.blogspot.com

16-08-2011
fashion elite

urbanoutfitters

fashion elite

Quote:
Russian-born Anya Konstantinova (Models 1) was brought up in Melbourne Australia and has been modelling for 10 months.
Cat lover Anya has an electric personality and is one of those girls that instantly connects with the camera. She already has a strong portfolio that includes a shoot for Oyster magazine, and has some very exciting shoots in the pipeline – so watch this space!

Birth date: 24.07.1990
Birthplace: Russia
Ethnic Origin: Russian
Nickname: Kitten
Where were you scouted? At a hair salon I used to work at in Melbourne Australia
Best feature: Lips
Favourite beauty product: Ginger styling oil by Sebastian
Hobbies: Too many to mention dancing around, walking in the park, eating out, eating in, traveling…
Favourite Movie: Life is beautiful. Candy.
What’s on your iPod? Whatever my friends put on it, only listen to it on shuffle. “Cage” is probably my favorite at the moment
Guilty Pleasure: Chocolate treats after meals. I always have some sort of chocolate in my backpack
Dislike: People that stop in the middle of the street or people that ignore me.
Dream country to visit: South Africa
What was the last thing to make you laugh out loud? When my friend’s Magnus, Claire and I bought a watermelon. It weight about 4.50kg and we had to carry it for 20mins but it felt like an eternity. When we finally got home, Magnus accidentally dropped the watermelon down the stairs. I haven’t laughed so hard in years. So much hard work for nothing!
What was the last dream you remember? I don’t really remember my dreams, but my last one went along the lines of zombies trying to kill me. Not too sure though.
One word to describe yourself: Cats

ftape.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
anja, konstantinova