How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-04-2010
windowshopping

Nani...& whoever else wants to read it...here's the translated copy of her interview with French Elle. sorry for the sometimes clumsy language, but neither french nor english are my first languages :p what I love about this interview is how they stress how down to earth she is...(& I'm sure she is) but the flowery compliments they print would be enough to turn anyone's head hah

-------------

Cameron Russell : Top Power
Her dream? To become President of the United States.
Her ? To save the planet.
Her jobs? Student…and top model.
Cameron Russell is a bombshell with brains!

Face of an angel, body of a sinner….When Cameron arrives at our photoshoot, she’s loaded down with a stack of super-serious newspapers. Not one, not two, but all of them! The tone is set, the sublime brunette from Elite agency isn’t just a model like any other. ??????? At the age of 23, the American can be found hard at work, not only in photography studios and on the catwalk, but also in the hallowed halls of Columbia University – the prestigious university at which she studies Maths & Economics, two subjects she adores. And we are quick to learn why. “My childhood dream has always been to become the President of the United States,” she tells us with a disarming frankness. “Politics is a passion of mine, I would like to have the opportunity to help those in need. Whether this will be by becoming an economist, a writer, or politician only time will tell.”
Whilst she’s waiting, she has her feet planted firmly on the ground and is working very diligently. In addition to her two main activities which are her studies and work as a model, she also writes a blog (www.funnyandinteresting.com), which is far from being a collection of ecstatic chatter about shoes. It contains her amusing reflections on current affairs and her life through sharing her day to day experiences. She also manages to find the time to participate in not-for-profit organisations. A classic question but one which still must be asked: just how does she manage to do it all?

Cameron enjoys it. “ Columbia does demand a lot of investment, but I find that it’s a great escape that distracts me from the world of fashion. Things like fashion can impact my ideas in relation to my studies. Everything is connected, and all the thing I do are a part of me. Honestly, right now I’m finding it hard to update my blog daily but when I receive emails from readers who tell me they like my posts, this encourages me to continue on. As for my other activities, they’re real recreations, like www.interviewnewyork.com, an artistic project that I set up a year ago, where we go out into the streets of New York and pose the same three questions to people we encounter: What are you afraid of? What are you proud of? What gives you hope? The idea is to help people to express themselves openly, to involve themselves in their community. I’m reassuring you, though, I don’t do all this by myself.”

All this talent could be annoying….However, far from that, what’s fascinating about Cameron is that she functions with such passion. Even fashion, which could seem trivial compared to her other works, she devotes herself to it with enthusiasm, seriousness and professionalism, without ever getting a big head about it. Yet, since being discovered in 2003, Cameron has accumulated an impressive number of campaigns…Calvin Klein, H & M, Armani Jeans, Yves Saint Laurent…and she has posed for the best photographers, including Mario Sorrenti, Steven Meisel, Bruce Weber, Terry Richardson, her favourites. When one sees her explosive talent in front of the cameras, it isn’t hard to see why the fashion industry likes her so much. And Cameron does her best, her head on her shoulders, she savours her luck and doesn’t mistake any facet of her life, which is so far away from her dreams of presidency. “Being a model is like winning the lottery, it allows me to travel a lot, work with inspiring and creative people, and to study without getting into debt! What’s more, I have a lot of respect for fashion, it is one of the only true international languages. To keep her place on the glossy pages, does she also work out her body as well as her neurons?
Of course. Also on the schedule: cycling, kung fu, running… she even runs marathons. She’s also a vegetarian, which can be clearly seen through her battle against global warming. “It’s the largest problem that my generation has to face. It’s a terrible menace and it’s the first time in history that mankind is responsible for such a giant change,” she explains with the air of a concerned young woman and not a lecturer. Using the intelligence and sense of humour which caracterise her, she has added her drop to the ocean by creating a very drol video clip for the organization 350.org (<< supermodels take it off for climate change>> watch on YouTube.) She set a scene involving peeling clothes off, due to intense heat, with her friends the supermodels Shannan Click, Crystal Renn, Hanne Gaby Odiele… “Models are often perceived as stupid and superficial, but today most of the girls I know want to use their beauty and small slice of notoriety for a cause that’s useful. As a result, all the girls seized the opportunity to support this organisation that’s helping raise awareness about climate change.”

Cameron wants to change the world, and thankfully she’s already changing the world of fashion. We’re all behind someone who declares that the real secret of beauty is a political belief: treat others well.

17-04-2010
fashion elite

Self Service 2003 Cover I

my scan

Last edited by Mojopin; 17-04-2010 at 06:57 AM.
17-04-2010
V.I.P.

^ Gorgeous
Cameron for NY&Co.

nyandcompany

17-04-2010
fashion icon

I just browsed through her blog. She has a picture of her father on one of her blog entries. And my goodness, she is IDENTICAL to her father.

20-04-2010
V.I.P.

jakandjil

21-04-2010
V.I.P.

radolgc.blogspot.

28-04-2010
V.I.P.

J.Crew may 2010 Catalog

jcrew

28-04-2010
tfs star

I can see her working for VS soon.

02-05-2010
backstage pass

Elle Mexico May 2010

facebook

02-05-2010
V.I.P.

Not the best cover I've seen but Cameron is always gorgeous, she can do no wrong in my eyes Hope to see some inside shots

03-05-2010
backstage pass

Wow. Is she only 23? I thought she was much older. I thought she was like Bridget Hall's age!
Are a lot of established (mostly from the simwear, "sexy girl" category) models having a big of a revival? I know the "Supers" (Claudia, Naomi, Eva etc) came to the forefront again early last year, and have somewhat maintained attention (all Naomi Ru Vogue, most recently).

But this season there were a lot of older models on the catwalks, not just in magazines. Obvisouly Prada and LV had all the "volumptous" SI and VS girls, but then there are these others, like Frankie Ryder, Jessica Miller (who I had to look up), Cameron Russell (who I also didn't know) etc, that did some walking.

I guess their not runway regulars? And that accounts for why I presumed they were all much older (like Elle, Laetitia Casta) ???

03-05-2010
V.I.P.

At Hussein Chalayan

models

03-05-2010
windowshopping

she looks way older than 23!

03-05-2010
French Chic

Personally I think she has a very young looking face and looking smokin' hot in the Versace dress for Elle Mexico.

Be a good one

She does look older than 23, but the reason why she may seem older is because she has been around for a while. She started modeling when she was about 16, I think. Also she modeled alot less when she started college and only recently has she started appearing more in magazines and on the runway.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cameron, russell