How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-03-2013
V.I.P.

I love the close-up and first shot.

01-04-2013
trendsetter

^ I agree. I'm just so happy to see new work from her. Very surprising. for a sec I thought she was no longer modeling

29-07-2013
backstage pass

AFF ISSUE #41: LEATHER ON LEATHER

boss models

29-07-2013
V.I.P.

she's AMAZING.. Now that she's finished with school i really hope she becomes HUGE

29-07-2013
V.I.P.

One of her best editorial spreads TO DATE!

29-07-2013
V.I.P.

She would have been a perfect choice for the last Prada Men show.. more than perfect actually. Such a stunner in that new ed.

26-12-2013
V.I.P.

ph: Victor Wagner

Source: behance.net

This girl needs an major agency switch. With a face like that it's BEYOND comprehension why she isn't getting more attention. She FANTASTIC. I could easily see her walking Prada/Givenchy shows

Last edited by modelista; 26-12-2013 at 03:08 PM.

26-12-2013
V.I.P.

She looks so amazing in beauty campaigns! She needs to book Estee Lauder, Chanel, Givenchy etc. She is extremely versatile.

26-12-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelista View Post
With a face like that it's BEYOND comprehension why she isn't getting more attention
Ugh, she's just so criminally underworked.

trendsetter

the problem is she is like 5'5". a lot of markets like New York don't really like short girls. These days if you don't make it in New York, you aren't going to be a super model or money girl. It's all about VS and SI. It's really hard to be a "brand" without one of those or at least a gimmick.

London, Sydney, and Capetown are really the only markets who would ever put a 5'7" or shorter model on the image board and really push for her to be an editorial model. If she was American, she would be doing second rate catalog work and the only editorials she would get are Maxim and FHM type work. Her agencies aren't really working for her. She needs to move to Ice Models. They will place her with lots of agencies in Europe. She has the same problem as many of the 5'7" and 5'8" models have in Paris, Milan, and New York. Intially, they get some good work. Some nice editorial and then they get stuck in ecommerce hell while the runway girls make a name for themselves and their sexy and willing to do anything counterparts do VS, Maxim, FHM, SI, etc. (think xenia deli, nina agdal, kate upton)

Carmen has the editorial look but can't do runway and she is too editorial for most commercial clients. She is stuck in the middle and its sad. When did every editorial model become 5'11" and taller to be successful? Sometimes the shorter girls are better than the tall girls. Just because your tall and a sample size doesn't mean you should be a model. When I look at model agency boards, there are girl who look so similar I sometimes have difficulty telling them apart. Half the time, they aren't pretty. I know there are plenty of models who aren't conventionally pretty but have a unique look but a lot of these girls are hideous or have really bad bodies. I see girls who looked disfigured and have all these agencies because they have a good mother agency behind them and girls who have what it takes slip through the cracks because agencies in Milan, Paris, London, New York, etc won't give them a chance.

Either she dyes her hair (maybe blonde or brown) and do the whole commercial lingerie thing or she goes to Ice. Vision basically is Boss now so she can't do that. She can't go to Outlaws because there is a girl similar to her on their boards. Full Circle will make her too commercial but she might be able to nab SI which could be good for her but not my choice for her. Max might be good for her but they haven't really had any success parlaying a models career to the states. Also, I don't think New York is going to do her any justice. I think she has to try LA. I think she is sexy enough to do well there. I just want her to get the hell out of South Africa. We know you can get editorial work there. Now let's work on somewhere else.

05-06-2014
trendsetter

H&M: Richard Wilkinson

bellazon

05-06-2014
trendsetter

Vogue India November 2010

my scan

05-06-2014
V.I.P.

Imho, its all about skin color. If she was blond and blue eyed, she would be red hot in the modeling world. There's a lot of extremely successful "shorter" supermodels out there. Kate Moss, Laetitia Casta, Devon Aoki, just to name a few. She's gorgeous and has a stunning presence in print, its just too bad that that industry is still so color blind.

05-06-2014
the mysteries

lovely h&m edit, and thanks for sharing your thoughts on her career situation.

trendsetter

I don't think its her skin color at all. Eileen Ford told Angie Everhart, "Redheads Don't Make It". Every once in a while you will get a Cinita or Lily Cole who will do well but they never do as well as the brunette or the blondes regardless of skin color. Look how many mixed race or racial/ethnically ambiguous models are in the industry. A black girl with green or blue eyes always does well. I think its the height more than anything. The hair is only an issue if she wants to successfully commercially in the US. None of this would be an issue if she started dating an American celebrity like every other VS and SI model. Then, nothing would matter. She would have so much exposure that she could do anything she wanted which is pretty much how this industry is going these days. Sad but true.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
carmen, solomons