How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-08-2012
V.I.P.

Chloe Norgaard

30-08-2012
V.I.P.

Chloe Nørgaard – Model Rainbow Warrior

Chloe Nørgaard is an American born – half-danish half-Polish – model and DJ who is set to give Charlotte Free a run for her money as the rainbow haired model du jour. California girl Nørgaard changes her hair colour as often as she adds to her tattoo collection, so it is no surprise that the laid back festival loving model is now high on casting director’s call sheets.

Guys out there will be disappointed to know that Chloe is taken, she is the girlfriend of East London-based designer Asger Juel Larsen who’s gothic, grungey and androgynous creations are earning him rave reviews. Well Chloe is now set to take centre stage in her own right and the battle of her rainbow hair vs Charlotte Free’s pink hair could be one to watch! May the best girl win…

cultureandlife.co.uk

V.I.P.

V.I.P.

Fresh Face – Interview with Chloe Melissa Nørgaard

By Kevin / July 8, 2010

Who said all models were a bunch of conniving*, indifferent, frigid and unintelligent chicks? Well, you will change your mind once you meet the young and fresh face Chloe Melissa Norgaard. Chloe is a contradiction to the industry archetypes. Not only she is a sublime beauty, Chloe is literally fun, down-to-Earth and more humble than any regular woman you’ll meet in New York City. As you will be reading her story, most of us may draw inspiration from her extraordinary personal experiences, and hard to believe, she just turned 20 years old. So it’s been a great chance, I had, to meet her at Café Bergamote, in Chelsea, where we enjoyed a long conversation, drinking coffees and eating the candies she brought in a ziploc bag, the same size of her handbag. A few days later, with the help of my friend and photographer Sonia Salvador, Chloe demonstrated her versatility and ease in front of the camera in this fun and colorful photoshoot. Enjoy!
(Interview was made on June 3rd.)
Can you tell us a little bit about your background?
I was born in LA, moved to Texas at the age of 2, and then have lived on Long Island since I was 7 years old. And now I have been living in the city for about two and a half years. My dad is Danish and my mom is from Polish, Irish decent and a little bit of French too.
Have you ever been to Denmark?
I go to Denmark twice a year because I have a bunch of friends and family all over Denmark. I’ve been there last Christmas and will go back in July.
Where in the city do you live?
East Village.
What do you like about the East Village, and what are your favorite spots and stores?
I like walking around, people watching and then looking at graffitis and street arts. Then I’ll go to any art gallery or store that would catch my attention.
Any favorite gallery?
I just like walking into the ones that I see. But the Morrison Hotel gallery is really cool because it’s all rock-n-roll inspired and it’s always fun to go there. Sometimes there could be live music and the guys that work there are really fun and interesting to talk to. I used to work at Blue & Cream on Bowery which is right next door.
Where do you like to shop?
I buy clothes from everywhere, there is no certain store I like the most. Vintage shops are one of my favorites. These are the best because you can find interesting pieces that make me feel like they carry a story. Of course they are also unique; it’s not like mass-produced clothes and everyone would have the same exact thing. Clothes might have stains or holes, and you can either fix it or just let it stay.
There is one really cool store called BESS in Nolita, they make their own pieces and it’s really rock-n-roll…definitely a cool store to check out. Other than that I don’t have a particular store I like. I usually go by what I see in their window.
Where are your favorite places to eat?
I love tacos, La Esquina is one of my favorite taco places. I love spicy food. For Pizza, two boots is really good. There is a really good Indian place by me. You get a huge bowl of rice and curry and all these good stuff for 3 dollars. It’s called Punjabi, and it’s so good. 16 handles is my ultimate favorite place for ice cream (laugh).

You seem to be a night owl type of person, where do you usually go out?
I started to go out in the city while I was 13 or 14 and my favorite place ever since I was younger is Happy Ending. I like it because it’s elegantly laid out but people can be very eclectic. There is a nice clash of style. In Tokyo, the Trump room is also one of my favorite places over there. My favorite places when I go out are places where everyone is gonna have a good time for sure. As long as people are showing their style and you know you are just going to dance and have some fun. It doesn’t matter who their parents are, how much money they make, no guest-list bull****, just go to dance and have fun.
(On Nicky Digital) I know Nicky since I first sneaked out, I was in 9th or 10th grade and Nicky was there. We went to Studio B and it was a cool night.
Has he always had his moustache back then?
I think he did! But I have one too, (tattooed on her lip) I showed him and he said: “copycat!” My first tattoo was on the bottom lip, it says Penny Lane. My friends used to call me like that because I had the same blond curly hair when I was little.
You are wearing fun sunglasses (Moschino heart-shaped)! How would you describe your style?
It’s fun, colorful. Definitely not boring. I feel very plain right now because this is what I have to wear for castings. I would never wear this, but for castings you have to wear these jeans and plain top. At least I jazzed it up with my glasses and shoes. It does not have to follow any trend, as long as I like it, I wear it.
What makes you decide what to wear every day?
Sometimes I will be in the mood to wear a certain thing. Or sometimes whoever is at my place, I’ll ask him to pick a color because I have every single color in my closet.
If you have to describe your favorite outfit this season?
Right now, I like high-waisted shorts and skirts. And then it has to be colorful or have a print and it does not have to match with something else. Always wear big sunglasses. I also like accessories; I usually have a ton of rings on. I love wearing boots, specially studded boots, and some dresses together. I like suspenders too!
Why suspenders? Isn’t it usually a male accessory?
I think suspenders are fun because you can play with them. You can either hook them on or just let them go loose.
So you seem to like playing with your clothes?
I like playing with everything.
When did you start customizing your clothes?
I guess I did that when I was younger. And when I was growing up on Long Island, everyone was shopping at stores like Abercrombie, everyone was shopping at the same store and I was so bored of it. So I started to cut my own things or buy fabrics and make things just because I hated the same old boring clothes. But now that I live in the city you can find anything you want so I don’t really do that anymore. But when I was younger I definitely did that.
Do you see yourself as being a fashion designer?
I used to want to be a fashion designer. I can see myself getting into it later. One of my friends from Tokyo owns a store and once wanted me to come design for his collecton. So that is always a possibility but right now I am focusing on other things.
What would be your top advice for a good styling?
It’s actually funny because my friends want me to help them get outfits all the time. When possible I’d bring them to one of my many closets. Yes I have many closets (laugh), all my stuff doesn’t fit in one place so I have my dad’s house, my mum’s house, my apartment and just stuff spread out between different friends’ houses. But if I can get them to my closet I just try to find something. I guess what I like to do is find one piece that stands out whether it has some good print or fabric. And then make it work with other stuff. Let’s say you have an amazing jacket, then of course the jacket is the main piece and then put other pieces that go with it. Or an amazing pair of shorts or skirts or dress or boots or whatever. I guess you need one item in mind and then you have to work everything else around that.
How many tattoos do you have?
One on the back of my neck, my finger, behind my ear, two in my mouth and one on my foot. I am getting more but not right now, because tattoos is not good when modeling.
What is the tattoo behind your neck supposed to mean?
The diamond represents my inner child, basically I am always gonna be at that place where I was younger, to never forget my childhood. Always having fun and playing. Never get too serious, to always be positive and open-minded. And then it reads: Pure, Powerful, Spontaneous and Rare. And I also have a key tattoo behind my ear, my mom and I got the same one at the same time, this tatoo represents creativity. All those represent my values.
What could be your next tattoo?
A peacock feather… A very big one, cause they are so colorful. And I want to get the drawing of the boa constrictor eating an elephant… I think you will know that because you are French…it comes from the book The Little Prince. That’s one of my favorite books. ‘Cause that also reminds me of my childhood, you know…
Why is that your favorite book?
It has a lot to do with this Little Prince. My dad showed me that book when I was younger and I read it a ton of times since then. Seeing life through the eyes of a child rather than a grown up. I think this is very important to stay open-minded and not so stuck-up on anything. Just live free. You know. And be imaginative.
*EDITED*
What inspires you on a daily-basis?
Just everything. Colors for sure. I love observing what is surrounding me. Positive people. Definitely my family. Very close friends that inspire me. Just people with positive mindset.
Who do you want to be?
Myself. I think it’s important for someone who wants to do something that just does it. ‘Cause you really can do anything you want no matter who you are. If you want to do something, you can do it. You just have to believe in yourself.
Have you always wanted to model?
Yes, ever since I was little I wanted to do some kind of performing. I used to be into acting when younger. My mother used to tell me this story all the time. When I was little, we were driving into the city and there was a billboard. And I told her one day I am gonna be on one of these billboards.
What do you like when modeling?
I just think it is fun shooting, at every shoot you can be a different character. They’ll tell you what they want and you put yourself into the character they want or you can give your ideas and try out different things. And it’s always very fun when you have to play with different clothes, makeup and hair; it makes up different stories.
So if one day your face appears on a giant billboard, would you say you have accomplished your life dream?
I think that would be cool but I feel there is always something higher you can push for. Once I am on the billboard, I would want something higher. I always like pushing myself. Like maybe I’ll get some amazing editorial jobs or the cover of some magazines. So you can always push yourself higher. That’s what I keep doing. Once I’ve reached a goal, then I make a new goal. Like keep going, no matter what it is I am doing. Like in high-school I graduated as a valedictorian which is the top of the class. (laugh)
So you are a girl with lots of high expectations for yourself.
Yeah! (laugh)
Any photographer or campaign you’d love to collaborate with?
I don’t really know that many photographers. I am shooting with Bruce Weber’s assistant this week, so that will be a really good start. Certain ads I’d love to do like… Moschino and Chloé ads, of course (laugh), I think their ads are beautiful.
How long do you see yourself modeling?
I am gonna take it as far as I can. Maybe one day I will feel I should do something else. But right now, I am pushing for the top. And I am going to school. I took the semester off to go to Tokyo, but I am studying Art Therapy at the New School. And writing.

Last edited by Psylocke; 30-08-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: **Edited for weight and drug talk**
30-08-2012
V.I.P.

cont...

Can you tell me more about art therapy?
It’s psychology using art to help the patients. So you do art with the patient and through the artwork you can see so many different things from the colors they use, the layers, how they do it, how neat or messy, etc. Just every single thing they do in the artwork can tell something about the person. And you find out things that the patient would not necessarily say. I have always been into helping people and since I love painting, it’s really cool to mix art and therapy together.
Are you going back to college in September?
I guess… it depends on modeling. If modeling gets really busy, then I take another semester off. But I always try to make it work by taking night classes and going to casting during the day. I think I can always go to college, modeling is short lived.
So besides modeling you also have other activities like DJing.
Right now I have a weekly gig at Antik also called Kings Cross on Wednesday. I DJ with one of my really good friend Andrew.
When did you start to DJ?
I’ve always wanted to but when I’ve asked friends to teach me, most of them were like, “I don’t want to teach you blablabla…” When I was in Tokyo, there was this one club called the LEX in Roppongi that we always used to go to because it was really close to our models’ apartment. One night, the manager came to me and he was like “thanks for always coming and supporting the club, if there is anything we can do for you…” and I was like “I’d love to DJ!” So the DJ there called Yo taught me to DJ and then it worked out so well that I had a weekly spot. After this I got a ton more opportunities to DJ in Tokyo. So when I go back to Tokyo, there are ton of clubs where I would like to Dj, so that’d be awesome.
What’s your DJ name?
Madame Chloe. Because two of my best friends in Tokyo were French and they called me Madame all the time. And I called them “putes” which is … I know you know what that means (laugh). Yeah they always called me that. So I figured this could be my stage name since I’ve learned in Tokyo and they were my really good friends there.
What is in your iPod right now?
Wow… a huge mix of styles. Yeah, my iPod has almost every genre. Basically if you can dance to it or sing to it, it has to be in my iPod. One of my favorite band right now is Late of the Pier, so many instrumentals going on, it’s very high energy.
Tell us how you had the opportunity to live in Tokyo and how was your experience?
I was meeting with a bunch of agencies in NYC. All three agencies I met wanted to sign me which was really exciting to me. Then I got this one opportunity. My mother agent knows I like to travel, she’s like “well, would you like to travel somewhere and do some modeling, filling up your book” and I was like “Yeah, of course” So she named a couple of places and I picked Tokyo because I was always interested in the Japanese culture. Then Tokyo turned out to be a second home for me even thought I only spent 3 months there. I was so happy there, I loved the people and the food and the energy. It was very interesting, very mind-boggling to be there.
What do you like about painting?
It’s very fun for me and it’s relaxing as well. No matter the mood I am in, I can paint. I use a lot of mixed media and play with different things. Just by using different colors and materials and just having fun with it. I am not a perfectionist so it’s just about experiments, being artistic.
So you are very active on Facebook. How many friends do you have?
I think like almost 2,000 something… (laugh)
And you love pictures…
I love pictures! I have at least a hundred albums of differend things.
Why is that?
Because I love to keep photos for myself as memories and I love to look at old pictures from a years ago. Just looking at pictures brings up so many memories. And if I take pictures of other people, of course they want to see them and are always interested in what I do and where I go, etc. And because it’s inspiring, a lot of people telling me “oh you inspired me to go travel or go to a music festival.”
Do you tweet?
No twitter. I don’t have a Twitter. I have a blog (http://artoftranslation.tumblr.com).
What’s the purpose of this blog?
I started when I was going to Tokyo. I knew my friends would want to know what I was doing. So rather than telling the story twenty different times, I would just tell it once on this blog. I created it first for my family and my friends. Now I just keep it updated with all the travels I am doing after Tokyo.
Do you want to set yourself in one place? What are your expectations in your life?
Of course I’d love to travel everywhere. But I made a goal that I was not going to travel unless it benefits either modeling or DJing. Because I could keep going on vacation forever but then what?? You know…
What is your next project?
Going to Bonaroo. I love the vibe there, people are happy and high energy. Music is one of my drugs now. I mean it has always been. Music just makes me feel really good. And there is art going on, doing painting or different other cool projects. And also you get to meet so many different people.
Do you follow the Twilight series?
No! I refuse! (laugh).
Are you a vampire or a werewolf?
I don’t know… Are they both bad?
Yes they are.
I guess the werewolves. They seem crazier… but not that crazy. (laugh)

Follow Chloe on her blog: http://artoftranslation.tumblr.com/ Photographed by Sonia Salvador: http://www.peopleshortstories.wordpress.com.
taistoisoisbeau

V.I.P.

Vice Magazine (vice.com)

Chloe, a native New Yorker by way of LA, has been traveling the globe for the last two years, DJing and modeling. Apparently Japan was the best stop on her world tour so far, purely because the club she was working for hired her a Mercedes, which she could rag around while blasting Michael Jackson. When she does decide to drop by LA, she stays at God-of-all-stoners, Tommy Chong's house, which I can only imagine is one of the best places you could ever possibly stay at if your whole vibe was just to travel, get loose, and party.
Photos
Louise Damgaard

Styling
Emilie Grubert

Make-Up
Anne Staunsager at Unique Look

Model
Chloe Nørgaard at 2pm

V.I.P.

Nylon Magazine - Sept 2012
Photographer - Andrew Kuykendall @ LVAplus.com
Stylist - Monique Bean @ MoniqueBean.com
Model - Chloe Norgaard @ One Mangament
Hair & Makeup - Marni Burton @ MarnidoesMakeup.com
Manicurist - Rachel Shim @ ba-reps.com
Photo Assistants - Ryan Spencer & Kailas Michael
Shot at Fast Ashleys Studios in Brooklyn, NY

outtakes

andrewkuykendall.blogspot

Last edited by Mea Culpa; 30-08-2012 at 04:34 PM.
30-08-2012
V.I.P.

more... same source

V.I.P.

2pm.dk

V.I.P.

2pm.dk

V.I.P.

2pm.dk

V.I.P.

on twitter
https://twitter.com/ChloeNorgaard

V.I.P.

twitter / models

30-08-2012
V.I.P.

Well, I like some of her hair colors I don't really see any actual modeling potential in her and I'm not a fan of her attitude in the interview but it's going to be interesting to see whether she will book more jobs besides the obvious hipster model gigs. It's always fun to see how agencies develop edgier girls like her, I appreciate One Management's will to take risks and promote girls like her and Harmony Boucher.

31-08-2012
V.I.P.

what you mean by her 'attitude' ? I thought she's really sweet (I haven't read this written interview though, just the 2nd video from the 3rd post). not annoying, fake or anything. just genuinely sweet.

Last edited by Flyest; 31-08-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chloë, norgaard