How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

22-03-2005
Team Elise

Crystal Renn in Italian Vanity Fair
found this on google
**http://www.judgmentofparis.com/forum...sages/160.html, Posted by HSG on May 09, 2004 at 19:25:08:

When Crystal Renn first appeared on the scene as the latest straight-size model-turned plus, we were a little bit skeptical. The tears from her straight-size days were so woeful--and besides, we wondered, would this be another Carre Otis situation? Ms. Otis, to her credit, has made excellent public statements about the dangers of starving to be a model, but she has always retained the appearance of a waif in all of her photographs, thus minimizing the effectiveness of her size-positive message.
But Crystal Renn looks more genuinely full figured with every new shoot. Perhaps this is why her own version of the "recovering anorexic model" story (made famous by Kate Dillon) resonates with the public in a way that Carre's never did.

In addition to appearances in the February Teen Vogue, the March Vogue Italia, and, of course, the notorious April issue of American Vogue, Miss Renn can now add a profile in the April issue of Italian Vanity Fair to her credits. Apart from the satisfaction in seeing a plus-size model show up in a magazine with the name Vanity Fair on the cover, the images are quite good. They are "edgy" in the very best way--i.e., not freakishly modern, but emphasizing the dangerous allure of the fuller female figure.

Note the Fellini poster in the backgroud of this eye-catching photo. The director of La Dolce Vita would surely be pleased with Miss Renn's generous curves, wavy tresses, and particularly, with that very feminine dress. (You may click on the image to see it at a larger size.)

Fans may not quite adore every shot that Miss Renn does, but has more to do with some of the facial expressions that photographers still coax her into making. When she looks more "natural," as she does in these two images, and in the "pillow" photograph that we recently posted, her beauty is apparent.

And now that the April Vogue is off the shelves--so readers will not be coaxed into buying perhaps the most size-hostile magazine we have ever seen--we feel free to acknowledge that Miss Renn's photographs in that issue were quite lovely, as well. What a shame that they were used to sugarcoat such a poison pill . . .

Crystal's name is widely being used as an example of the benefits of welcoming--and even enjoying--the propensity to develop feminine curves, thus making her a finee role model for young women struggling with their body image. Hopefully, this young star will retain her newfound figure, and help girls her age realize that they need not struggle at all.

22-03-2005
Team Elise

from models.com
Fashion Week NY Fall Winter 05 FW 05 Parties

The delicious Crystal Renn/Ford in a shoot by Leslie Kee @Cosmogirl

22-03-2005
Team Elise

from Ford agency website
Crystal Renn

Office New York
Division 12 plus
Height 5 ft 9 in (69.0 in)
Chest 39C in
Waist 32 in
Hips 43 in
Dress 14
Shoe 10
Hair Brown
Eyes Hazel
Units inches cm

22-03-2005
V.I.P.

No s***. She was starving herself to be a non-plus-sized model, and she still looks hot now.

23-03-2005
front row

she looks better than most of the new models, she stands out.and not because of "she's fat", she does not look fat in eds. she just has so beautiful body in her editorials and pictures.

23-03-2005
poo
backstage pass

she is NOT fat! but shes not skeletal like todays models.
it makes me so happy so see a normal sized woman modelling succesfully, about time too.
bring more on!

23-03-2005
Storm & Sommer

If there are no objections I'll change the title of the thread to Crystal Renn, now that she has been identified

pinterest : hanneonpin

23-03-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

wow it sure is refreshing to see someone with a realistic body!!!she looks fabulous!

23-03-2005
I love model_mom!

I think that she looks great! Her body looks very proportioned. Fat? No way.

23-03-2005
front row

but I hope she won't be remembered just as a "plus size" because she's so much more than that.same thing as when Kate Moss started, people just talked about her shortness. with plus size models, people usually start to speak about their size, and that becomes too important. I mean, people don't talk that much about "skinny" models sizes's, do they? and I just can't stand these stereotyphical plus size models, who are just all about "I'm the biggest in the business". this girl really is a model, not just a plus size-thingy.she's beautiful and really photogenic. you really remember her after you've seen her eds, and that's not because of her size, but because of her beautiful, different body, and those magical eyes.Ididin't even think she was "plus size" when I first saw her pics. I just thought "wow, she really has it!" I don't remember seeing as capturing look since Kate Moss.

23-03-2005
Hoppity Hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
but I hope she won't be remembered just as a "plus size" because she's so much more than that.
Of course that's what she'll be remembered as. Actually let me backtrack and propose she won't be remembered at all (few models are).

Quote:
same thing as when Kate Moss started, people just talked about her shortness.
No way. When people thought (and currently think) "Kate Moss," they think many things like waif, Calvin Klein, Johnny Depp, etc., but height isn't one of the biggies. At least not in the same context as Renn's plus-sizeness.

Quote:
you really remember her after you've seen her eds, and that's not because of her size
In the April Vogue (and the shape issue last year) she is specifically there because of her size. Granted, it's Vogue and out of all the shapes, the article only mentions skinny, curvy, tall, short and pregnant. (Where's "pear-shaped," "chubby," etc?)

I hear what you're saying but the fact is Renn won't shake off the plus-size label. At this point why would she even want to, that's what's making her $.

24-03-2005
front row

hmm... everytime somebody talks about short models, they always bring out Moss, even though there are shorter topmodels (devon aoki for example).and I'm not saying that Kate is above all remembered for that, I know it isn't true.I'm just annoyed that people talk so much about Crystal's size, not that she actually can model better than some average size models.not trying to start a fight about this, or anything

oh, and where's she from?

07-04-2005
windowshopping

She's from Miami, FL.

07-04-2005
tfs star

finally a plus size model

07-04-2005
windowshopping

she's completely beautiful!! its rather hard to tell what size she is b/c of how she goes back and forth between lane bryant and vogue. shes constantly having to lose and gain wait. also she cant do cosmo girl for quite a while. b/c of some upcoming things with french vogue. i loved her cosmo girl. there was something about the pictures that was just fab.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2004, 2010, april, crystal, november, renn