How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

04-10-2005
God Save McQueen

at jean paul gautier

gettyimages.com

i love that shes doing runway. next sophie dahl?

04-10-2005
User Friendly

Is it just me or does Anna Wintour look dumbstruck in that picture..

04-10-2005
princely

Icant see properly but is she the 2nd from the right?

Crystal looks great.

04-10-2005
User Friendly

Yeah.. she's easy to spot because she's usually next to Andre Leon Talley

I wonder whats going through her mind.. or maybe she always has that look on her face

04-10-2005
backstage pass

She looks gorgeous! Thank you for posting masquerade

04-10-2005
███████████████

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade
at jean paul gautier

i love that shes doing runway. next sophie dahl?
he look is great i loveed

05-10-2005
User Friendly

I don't think this is a repost .. but here's a great interview at models.com

-------------------------------------------------------
When a model scout told 18 year old Ford's Crystal Renn, that one day she could be in Vogue, little did he know that the Florida native would indeed rock the pages of American, Italian and French Vogue in her own uncompromising style. That model scout suggested that Crystal re-size her body in order to fit the editorial ideal but it is by staying true to her natural body type that made her a sensation. Tune in as Crystal talks to MDC about how she broke editorial barriers after transcending the eating disorder that almost derailed her career.

MDC: How did this all start Crystal Renn?
CR: I was 14 and I was scouted by an agency. I was really curvy. Didn't know anything about modeling. Couldn't care less, to be honest., at that point in my life. But the scout explained a little bit more about it. And something clicked. I thought maybe, this could be something for me. Then he goes "You have to lose like, 50 pounds"
MDC: How crazy! That was nearly 40% of an entire body weight.
CR: At the time I didn't know that. I had 43 inch hips and he said he wanted me to get to 33, so I thought, "Oh I can do that. I just have to eat healthy". He was talking about me getting into Vogue magazine. At the time I didnít know the fashion magazines. So I picked up Vogue . Thought it was amazing and that this was exactly where I wanted to be and dropped the weight

MDC: So now youíre all "editorial"
CR: Yeah because one, now I'm really really thin and kind of awkward and I found that worked for certain clients.

MDC: Your body must have been in a metabolic riot!
CR: Oh my God! It pretty much screamed! Even though I was eating healthy stuff, all of a sudden I started re-gaining weight. Four months would go by where I didn't eat a single bad thing and my agents would say "Maybe you should go on a diet." Iím going, you must be kidding me!

MDC: There was nothing left to cut out.
CR: Exactly. I already had no sugar, no carbs, no fat. What's left? So my new agent suggests I try something different, like plus size.

MDC: By now youíre at Ford and shooting that stunning, stunning Italian Vogue story with Meisel.
CR: That shoot was such an amazing experience.

MDC: How did you get cast for that?
CR: I went on a casting for the plus girl in the Shape issue of American Vogue. I got in and Steven Meisel shot me for that. The next day he booked me for that Italian Vogue story.

MDC: Where does all that confidence and total comfort with yourself come from Crystal?
CR: I donít know. It's a good question. When I first started modeling, it was NOT that way. Also I was hungry (lol). So now that IĎve accepted my true body and could eat normally, it just put me at ease and made me more myself. I was always comfortable talking to people.

MDC: Any tips for those shy young models who walk into castings shaking from nerves?
CR: Oh I know about that. If you think the casting director is being mean or cold, don't take it personally or mirror that. Ignore it. Be yourself and kind of laugh about it all. Walk in feeling like "It doesn't matter if I get this job or not. I love myself. I love being in this business and I'm going to reflect that."

MDC: And to those models who feel like it's haute editorial or nothing?
CR: None of that matters as long as you believe in yourself. To be honest, you just have to know how to work it.

MDC: How do you work it on set?
CR: It depends on the inspiration of the shoot. For the Italian Vogue story Steven wanted an alien-esque feeling. So the idea was to be strong and commanding. But what makes me, me. What makes me different is a little touch of sexiness, so I tried to put a little bit of Crystal into the picture.

MDC: To create Alien Crystal (lol)
CR: Exactly. Alien Crystal. I'd say just try to be present in the shoot. Modeling has a little bit of acting, even if you're acting for the 1 second that it takes for the camera to click.

MDC: And your goal this year?
CR: If you were to ask me what would be the most amazing thing, it would be to shoot a major magazine cover or designer campaign.

MDC: And put some Crystal in the mix!
CR: Oh yes!

MDC: Thank you so much for the sit down. You're a delight
CR: Thank you for the opportunity!

08-10-2005
front row

Anybody got her editorial from Aug Vogue Paris? I have the magazine, but I don't have a scanner.I think it was stunning.

11-10-2005
rising star

I think she's pretty. I don't see anything wrong with her face or body. I love the dark hair/eyes combination.

Sorry if this is a repost.... Crystal from fordmodels.com

Another photo from discominx.com

http://www.discominx.com/crystalrenn/crystal09.jpg

11-10-2005
rising star

Two photos from style.com

11-10-2005
rising star

aww...she looks gorgeous!

Lolita.

12-10-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw33tricecakes
quote Ohhh! Speaking of Crystal Renn... heard she'll be strutting her tush in Jean-Paul Gualtier show in Paris next week. quote

That's great! I heard the only shows she's done so far as a plus size model has been marc by marc jacobs, but I was never able to find pics. If anyone could...

I myself have never really liked plus-size models, but anybody who calls someone hideous is hideous themself I have a great friend who is the same shape as her, who is so insecure about her weight and trying to lose weight. She is beautiful at whatever size and it hurts me that she's trying to fit into society's standard of 'thin' and 'beautiful'. They don't go hand in hand .
AMEN! Some people need an attitude adjustment. There is a difference between expressing an opinion and being downright cruel about somebody.

You don't need to like Crystal's look, but you don't have a right to put her down.

12-10-2005
rising star

models.com - with a "dear friend."

12-10-2005
rising star

zoozoom.com - with model Lauren Vanhoosear on the right.

There is a "movie" at http://www.zoozoom.com/21/previews/french.html

12-10-2005
rising star

http://galleri.tv2.dk

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2004, 2010, april, crystal, november, renn