How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

19-07-2010
backstage pass

Yes, the swimsuit is part of the extended sizing ranges available at Peter Hahn.co.uk. and Crystal has been their model for a while. See the pic above in #1022...there was a whole catalog posted a while back on this thread.

Also from the same company:

This company's larger model images are bizarre. There are normal-ish images of Crystal (as above), of a redhead model called Katy Hanz, but then there are a series of pix with what looks to be the head of Inga Eiriksdottir tacked onto another body. Given the poses of the body and the size/shape of the hands, etc I think it's Crystal's body (especially in this photo because Inga is a blonde and everything but the face in this shot is so Crystal) but why on earth would they stick another model's head on Crystal's photos? And SO badly? Contractual issues??

Last edited by 3RingCircus; 19-07-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: image link fix

19-07-2010
V.I.P.

how disgusting that a someone photoshop those beautiful pics of Crystal and turn her into a different person, shes perfect the way she is, just finished reading her book and its so inspiring whether you have body image issues or not, she has an amazing spirit.

20-07-2010
front row

The modelling industry is getting really exciting. I mean, we have Crystal in the MDC's top 50! Also Miranda and Alessandra are ranked. It's awesome to see the idea of the celebrity model being reintroduced into the market.

20-07-2010
scenester

There has been recent controversy over the non-profit organization; Fashion for Passion’s campaign images that depict plus-sized model Crystal Renn as overtly thin. I was shown these images by photographer Nicholas Routzen before they were released as I was and still am preparing a spotlight feature on the Fashion for Passion non-profit organization. I stated to Routzen, “Wow, she has lost a ton of weight.” He then told me, “Trust me, she is still a very healthy girl and still a size 8 or 10”. A few days later, after the release of the images, the internet and blogosphere was in an uproar. It was first believed that Crystal was intentionally losing weight for reasons unknown and some even hinted around to an “eating disorder”, but recently Crystal spoke out against the images saying…

“Well, I was shocked. When I saw the pictures, I think I was silent for a good five minutes, staring with my mouth open. I don’t know what was done to those photos or who did it, but they look retouched to me. And listen, everybody retouches, but don’t make me into something I’m not.

That body doesn’t look like my body. It doesn’t. Having had an eating disorder, I know what that very thin body looks like on me, and it’s not something I find attractive. It’s not something I aspire to. I feel completely confident in my own health because I know I don’t look like that, but even to see it in an image was really disturbing to me.

The photographer; Nicholas Routzen defended the images saying…

“The images were taken from a higher angle with a wider lens.” But he also added, “I shaped her…I did nothing that I wouldn’t do to anyone. I’m paid to make women look beautiful.”

I obtained a few un-retouched images of Crystal during the shoot directly from Routzen and I must say that according to the images Crystal does not seem to be intentionally retouched to look thinner. The positioning of her body is what is seemingly giving the illusion that Crystal is indeed smaller than her “normal” self. If you pay attention to her right thigh you will notice that the closer her thigh gets to the camera, the larger it looks. So pulling the thigh back gives the illusion that it is smaller. This is a trick most models learn very early in their career.

Below you will find the final selections from the campaign shoot both the un-retouched and the retouched. While you can certainly tell the images have undergone some form of retouching, as far as color correction and smoothing out the skin it does not seem they were retouched with focus on Crystal’s size.

Routzen has released a quote saying…

“I want to reiterate that I feel Crystal looks amazing in both images and the minimal retouching that I did do – it’s nothing you wouldn’t see in any magazine today. There is nothing hidden about this. “

via: THEKNOXFILES.COM

22-07-2010
fashion elite

Did anyone see her interview on the Today Show?
I love her even more now. She is so articulate and well spoken. She really seems comfortable in her own skin and stands up to what she believes in. So happy for her and her thriving career.

22-07-2010
V.I.P.

^No I missed that.

How did she look?

22-07-2010
front row

Vogue Paris, August 2010
ph. by David Sims

Scanned by thefrenchy

22-07-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
^No I missed that.

How did she look?
Skinny.

22-07-2010
front row

Look, a 6'0 (or however tall she is) woman who is a size 8-10 will NOT look large. It's all about proportions. Crystal Renn will look thin at that size because it is PROPORTIONAL to her height. It is the size 2-4 models that are grossly out of proportion.
Who are we kidding? Healthy/correct proportions is Crystal Renn. We need more like her!

22-07-2010
V.I.P.

I think agee meant skinner than before. Only taking Crystal in mind (what her weight was before and now).

22-07-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyforareason View Post
Who are we kidding? Healthy/correct proportions is Crystal Renn. We need more like her!
I agree, actually my answer in the previous post should have been she looked 'fine as hayel.' I am not getting what is going on on either side, not the people who are "up in arms" over Crystal's weight loss and I certainly don't get Crystal's response where she is on national television impugning a photographer's reputation and basically telling me not to believe my own eyes about her frame which I would not characterize as high fashion model thin, but I would think is in the established actress / news anchor / television host range, which is pretty close to ideal for many.

I don't want to judge her too harshly because as was mentioned on the Today Show she has become the poster child for plussies, a role that she eagerly took on, and she probably said some things that were either premature or that she was not qualified to address that got traction on the internet (I am specifically thinking about something to the effect that her body's natural set point was a size 12 or thereabouts) and now she is trying to dig herself out of a hole which I understand and sympathize with, but the whole "I was a victim of photoshop" is a sleazy way of dealing with a matter that is complicated and multi-faceted.

ETA:
Note, I am not saying that the photos in question were not edited AT ALL because they were and that was admitted to all along, and apparently the lens and angle were key factors as well, but the bottom line is that the photographer driven distortion was not that great, the major "distortion" is that Crystal has lost weight and she may not still fit the plus size standard, and by plus size standard, I mean the model plus size standard, which is smaller than the "regular" plus size standard.

Last edited by agee; 22-07-2010 at 11:58 PM.

22-07-2010
V.I.P.

her VP editorial is incredible! I love the poses, styling, colors - everything just works for me. I'm so happy they are still showing her some love instead it being a one-time thing just for extra press

22-07-2010
V.I.P.

[QUOTE=agee;7619615]I agree, actually my answer in the previous post should have been she looked 'fine as hayel.'

Thanks for clarifying.

23-07-2010
backstage pass

Agee, I agree with all of that. And then when I see this sort of shot (AshleyStewart.com) I wonder, what is the chicken and what is the egg? Which arm is her REAL arm? After all, it wouldn't be outside of the bounds of reality for the retouching to be adding weight on...bizarre hyperextension of her rightside upper arm notwithstanding.. *yikes*

Last edited by 3RingCircus; 23-07-2010 at 01:13 AM.

23-07-2010
backstage pass

And just for the record, Crystal Renn is 5'7", which is why she still maintains some roundness at a smaller size. She is NOT, as her agency insists, 5'8". I have this info from stylists who have worked with her, and can see it myself relative to other models said to be 5'8" in photos of runway lineups as well.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2004, 2010, april, crystal, november, renn