How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-11-2010
V.I.P.

Crystal Renn ... See Post #1 for Thread Rules.
Quote:
Thread Rules:
Quote:

Weight talk is not allowed in any thread at the Fashion Spot.

It is Ok to post the model's comp card stats but there may not be any further discussion about that models fluctating size or weight. Any comments of this nature will be considered weight talk and be removed.

There may not be any discussion about what sizes are "plus", for either models or the general public ... that is off topic and will be removed.

Moderator's note:

• In order to improve site performance, long threads that are draining our loading time will be closed and we are going to be periodically starting new threads. This should help pages load faster.
• Please remember that not everyone is on a fast connection, or has a large screen, and keep your picture sizes to 800 pixels or less in the largest dimension. This will also help with page load speed.
• Please refrain from posting the same images as contained in the archived threads (e.g. in the old closed thread).
• Please remember to stay on topic... All off topic discussion will be removed.
• Please do not power post e.g. make empty posts with no info/questions/images - Empty posts cause threads to grow rapidly and is a nuisance to those who subscribe to many threads. Please take any private conversations to PMs or Profile Comments.
• To view previous thread, click here.

Thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US HARPER'S BAZAAR DECEMBER 2010

Best New Looks
Crystal Renn by Paola Kudacki

fordmodelsblog
models.com

Last edited by BetteT; 20-02-2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Adding thread rules.

17-11-2010
V.I.P.

^SHe looks gorgeous no doubt and very happy to see her in US Bazaar, but I have to agree they look so photoshopped and Crystal doesnot need it at all.

17-11-2010
utterly superfluous

Here's my two cents where Crystal is concerned: Clients don't call her agencies looking for a plus size model and she just happens to fit the bill. They call for Crystal Renn.

She's created an brand that defies categorization. She is not simply a "plus-sized" model, and to be able to effectively reach many markets is something that should be celebrated. Crystal is still of a more socially normative and relatable size than most of the girls on the runway so to start confirming their editorials and campaigns is rather progressive if nothing else.

front row

I completely agree that Crystal's has done a great deal to diversify the runway and fashion at large. She's practically been the sole face of body diversity and the plus size movement, and you're right, she has created her own category. I also think it's great that she is getting campaigns and editorials in the mainstream straight size world. And I hope she continues to do so.

However, speaking strictly about the continued use of Crystal to represent the plus size movement (and this is perhaps more directed at the plus size clientele that continue to hire her than Crystal herself) but to use her as the face of a plus size brand right now is kind of ridiculous. Evans UK, for example, starts at a size UK14 (US12) and they continue to use Crystal in their campaigns. She is at the most a size 8 right now. For them to use her when she literally is too small to shop in the store is absurd. I realize that fashion is meant to be aspirational and Crystal is considered both a relatable yet aspirational figure, however to put it bluntly, at the size she is right now she is not relatable to a modern plus size shopper. One that would probably shop at Evans UK. Yet this is, in part, the way she has continued to be marketed. Though, don't take this to mean that I don't think she shouldn't represent the everyday "normal sized" woman, she can and she should. But, think of it this way, you wouldn't cast a size 16 model to represent a straight size brand (that capped out at a size 12) so I don't see why you would cast a size 6/8 model to represent a plus size brand.

18-11-2010
rising star

^ I agree 100%. You couldn't have said it better.

backstage pass

I usually adore Paola Kudacki's work but this one, not so much. And yeah, there is some funky retouching going on.

A more natural - though lightly padded in the bust! - Crystal follows (forgive me, I can't be bothered with all the resizing, etc)

http://www.blutimefashion.com/wp-con...0-internet.pdf

front row

you are absolutely right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelle-Squared View Post
I completely agree that Crystal's has done a great deal to diversify the runway and fashion at large. She's practically been the sole face of body diversity and the plus size movement, and you're right, she has created her own category. I also think it's great that she is getting campaigns and editorials in the mainstream straight size world. And I hope she continues to do so.

However, speaking strictly about the continued use of Crystal to represent the plus size movement (and this is perhaps more directed at the plus size clientele that continue to hire her than Crystal herself) but to use her as the face of a plus size brand right now is kind of ridiculous. Evans UK, for example, starts at a size UK14 (US12) and they continue to use Crystal in their campaigns. She is at the most a size 8 right now. For them to use her when she literally is too small to shop in the store is absurd. I realize that fashion is meant to be aspirational and Crystal is considered both a relatable yet aspirational figure, however to put it bluntly, at the size she is right now she is not relatable to a modern plus size shopper. One that would probably shop at Evans UK. Yet this is, in part, the way she has continued to be marketed. Though, don't take this to mean that I don't think she shouldn't represent the everyday "normal sized" woman, she can and she should. But, think of it this way, you wouldn't cast a size 16 model to represent a straight size brand (that capped out at a size 12) so I don't see why you would cast a size 6/8 model to represent a plus size brand.

24-11-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:

But do we know for sure that she is being actively marketed that way or if her customers are willing to hire her again even if she falls out of the range. I can definitely understand why it is disconcerting to see her shilling plus-sized clothes and it probably cannot continue indefinitely, but from the client's standpoint, working with a known quantity and a sellable face may outweigh her not fitting in the clothes, at least in the short term. From the model and agent perspective, they don't typically turn down paying work. In fact, I actually wonder if she is doing better financially with her new frame. Of course money is not the only factor, there is a prestige factor and she has been working with top editors, photographers and designers, but I wonder if the money from the plus-sized pipeline has been (or is expected to be) replaced.

24-11-2010
front row

Obviously I can't state for sure, but I think it's a combination of both. I don't have access to the Ford website but I believe she is still on the Ford + board. Then again, I remember reading that she is on the Women board as well. Maybe they are trying to transition her over? I have no idea.

As for the clients continuing to hire her, I mean, I can see why they do. She's a household name and has a lot of recognition. I can also see why she continues to accept the jobs, you can make bank off of catalog modeling or so I've heard. However, I hope she transitions more into modeling for straight size brands. She's certainly proven she has the talent and staying power. (Although I do worry that once she's down to an "acceptable size" for straight size modeling that she's going to become just another face. But I don't think that will happen.)

And yes, I realize that a plus size model is not the same as a plus size person but this is stretching that concept quite thin.

25-11-2010
V.I.P.

ELLE Ukraine October 2010 journal plaza.net

25-11-2010
V.I.P.

can't wait to see what she's got in store for us next year.

any ideas abotu campaigns yet?

tfs star

She got DSquared.

27-11-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Obviously I can't state for sure, but I think it's a combination of both. I don't have access to the Ford website but I believe she is still on the Ford + board. Then again, I remember reading that she is on the Women board as well. Maybe they are trying to transition her over? I have no idea.
Her portfolio up on both the Ford and Ford + boards.

Quote:
As for the clients continuing to hire her, I mean, I can see why they do. She's a household name and has a lot of recognition. I can also see why she continues to accept the jobs, you can make bank off of catalog modeling or so I've heard. However, I hope she transitions more into modeling for straight size brands.
I don't. I love seeing her pictures up in Torrid and Avenue and Cacique....I wouldn't mind seeing her elsewhere, but I think she's a great model for her current brands as well.

Last edited by MulletProof; 30-01-2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: weight discussion.
27-11-2010
V.I.P.

very very Crystal.

front row

Crystal modeling the Denim Collection by Marina Rinaldi (as well as a few behind the scenes photos).

There is also a video of the shoot and an interview conducted by Vogue Curvy, which you can view here.

source: vogue.it

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, crystal, post, renn, rules, thread