How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

14-12-2011
V.I.P.

love her street style

19-12-2011
V.I.P.

19-12-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Happy Monday, fashion fans, and welcome to the second half of my conversations with our November issueís faces of the future. We at V collaborated with photographer Terry Richardson and styling icon Carine Roitfeld to find eight supermodels-in-training. Today we meet Daphne Groeneveld, a girl from a small town near The Hague whoís unforgettable face launched her into the high fashion stratosphere. (One of her first gigs? Posing with Tom Ford on his now infamous French Vogue cover earlier this year.) Still a teenager, sheís already had a few memorable moments: Working with the top notch photographers, fronting high fashion campaigns and, oddly enough, getting dance lessons from Madonna herself on a Miu Miu advertising gig. Read about all that in more in the full transcript from our chat, and, as always, visit Vmagazine.com for more on our fashion extravaganza.

DB: Letís start at the very beginning. Tell me a bit about your memories from your childhood.

DG: I was born in Leiderdorp, a small village close to The Hague. I have one older brother, whoís now 18 years old. At the age of 12 we moved to Voorschoten, not far from Leiderdorp, and thatís where I went to high school.

DB: What were you like as a young girl?

DG: I was a little bit shy, but I was always smiling and I was a really happy kid. I was a girly girl, and I think I still am. I loved playing with my Barbie dolls. Ha!

DB: Did you have hobbies?

DG: I always danced when I was young. I studied classic ballet when I was 4, and I danced different styles for years. I played field hockey but I had to stop two years ago when I started modeling. I was afraid to have sticks or balls hitting me in the face!

DB: Growing up, did you ever think about working in fashion? Did you ever dream of being a model?

DG: To be honest, I dreamed about being a model but I never thought I was the right type of girl. I wasnít really into fashion. Now, I love fashion and I love my job; itís such a great experience and I enjoy every second.

DB: How were you discovered?

DG: I was scouted 3 times. First in Paris when I was there for vacation with my parents, but then I was only 13 years old, which everyone thought a bit too young. Then one time on the Internet, but I thought it was a joke, so I ignored it. And then a third time in Amsterdam: I was shopping there with my mom and then an agent gave me her number. I thought it could be nice to try it out. The following February I went to Milan to do my first shows, which really exciting. I had turned 15 only two months before.

DB: What would you consider as your first big Ďbreakí?

DG: In the beginning, each step feels like the ďbig break.Ē My first editorial, my first show, my first campaign for Miu Miu (which included dancing lessons from Madonna!). But the real break was probably the cover of French Vogue with Tom Ford.

DB: What was it like to work with Tom? At the time, did you know who Tom was, or what an honor it was to be on the cover of the magazine?

DG: It was an amazing experience! Iím really happy with the results, and I still love that picture. I knew who he was, especially because we were wearing only his clothes in that issue. I knew it was a big honor to be with Tom Ford himself on the cover, and it was my first cover ever.

DB: What did you think of Tom?

DG: Heís a creative, smart and really kind man.

DB: When did you first come to New York, and what were your first impressions?

DG: The first time I went to NY was for the Calvin Klein show. I was in the plane, looking outside and I saw a really big city. It looked so wonderful. When I walked around for the first time I was overwhelmed by this huge city. I love New York, and I would love to live there sometime, but now I still live in Voorschoten with my parents.

DB: All of the girls on the shoot were from all over the place: China, Puerto Rico, South Africa. Do you like to travel?

DG: I love to travel. Well, I donít actually like to travel, because itís hard for me to sleep on the plane, but I love when Iíve arrived in some of these beautiful places where I would normally never come.

DB: Fashion is such an international industry now.

DG: Particularly during fashion week, you really feel how international this business is. Not only do you travel in a short period from New York to London to Milan and Paris, you meet so many people coming from different parts of the world. And you see the many different styles in design from all the different designers.

DB: Do you have a favorite place to go?

DG: Yes, Italy. Iíve gone there with my family every summer, to Florence, Siena, Rome and many other beautiful places. I just love that country; itís so beautiful, and the weather is just perfect. I only need to be careful with all the pizzas and the pastas! Ha!

DB: Are you home often?

DG: Yes, because of school, and I have to follow the lessons and take the tests. I still live with my parents, so after each job I return back home.

DB: Did you have any role models in fashion?

DG: Yep, Doutzen Kroes and Lara Stone. I have worked with Lara on a few occasions; she is beautiful, professional, funny and very kind to me, almost like my older sister. Doutzen I have not met yet, but I hope one day to also meet her!

DB: Has any designer or model given you a good piece of advice?

DG: Many models and designers told me that to stay true to myself. This job can change models really quick, but Iíll try to be as down to earth as Iíve always been.

DB: Did you have fun working on our cover shoot?

DG: Yes! Lots! Iíve worked with Carine many times and I love her. She is amazing and always very kind. It was my first time working with Terry, and heís also a great to work with. We had a lot of fun, and itís really nice to have a cover with Saskia, who is a good friend of mine.

DB: Who else do you love working with? Any stories youíve loved doing?

DG: Yes Iíve done so many exiting things and itís all different. I loved the Louis Vuitton campaign because all the other models are good friends of mine. I also loved the Givenchy campaign because I love Riccardo Tisci, and Mert and Marcus. One of the most remarkable moments was getting dancing lessons from Madonna for a video for Miu Miu; I could not believe my eyes when she walked into the room, and started talking to me!

DB: Do you like doing catwalk shows?

DG: I absolutely love walking shows. Iím really exited by the clothes, designers, casting directors, stylists, hair dressers and all the models!

DB: Whatís the weirdest thing youíve ever thought about on the catwalk?

DG: I try not to think about anything, but concentrate on the show. Sometimes Iím hoping I wonít fall or Iím thinking about my pose at the end, but normally Iím not really thinking about anything.

DB: Whatís been your favorite discovery?

DG: The biggest discovery is that the fashion world is full of nice people. Before I started, I was told that there are many mean people in this industry. Well, I have not seen them yet!

DB: Letís talk about your beauty routine: How do you take care of yourself

DG: I go to bed quit early. I drink a lot of water and tea. I eat really healthy and I clean my face every day. I wear minimal make-up, a bit mascara, and the rest as natural as possible.

DB: Favorite designers?

DG: No favorites, but I love working with Riccardo Tisci, Donatella Versace, Louis Vuitton and Francisco Costa.

DB: If you had to define your personal style, how would you call it?

DG: Comfortable, casual and probably a bit girly.

DB: Do you have a trademark?

DG: My favorite phrase is, ďI want it, I like it, I do it!Ē

DB: If you werenít modeling, what do you think you would be doing?

DG: I would go to school to learn how to run a hotel; I would love to start my own hotel. I still want to one day.

DB: What do people back home in Holland think about your career?

DG: My friends are really happy for me and theyíre proud. Also, my family supports me so much. But not all of the people understand this business, and they can say mean things. But now Iím strong enough to ignore those negative remarks!

DB: Finally, a really tough one: Where do you want to be in 10 years? And then in 20 years?

DG: In 10 years, I hope to still be modeling. And in 20 years, maybe Iíll still being doing some stuff but I also want to have a little family and maybe start that hotel Ė in Italy!
mrblasberg

20-12-2011
V.I.P.

Thanx for this interview.
And fave designer: Donatella- iīm so happy she mention her as well.

23-12-2011
front row

Omg. Everything is almost out (Campaigns) and she got nothing yet. No news and I am wondering if she gonna get a campaign this season. A major one.

23-12-2011
trendsetter

Happy Birthday, Daphne!

23-12-2011
fashion elite

Happy birthday!!

23-12-2011
V.I.P.

Happy Birthday Daphne!

24-12-2011
V.I.P.

Happy Birthday!!

24-12-2011
V.I.P.

How old is she turned?
And Happy Big Birthday!

24-12-2011
backstage pass

She's seventeen now! Happy birthday, Daphne <3

24-12-2011
fashion icon

happy birthday sweet Daphne

24-12-2011
windowshopping

happy birthday princess

25-12-2011
V.I.P.

elijk gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag

uhm no news yet, but still, not everything is out yet. and at least she got sheer beauty parfume.

25-12-2011
V.I.P.

thetastemakerblog.com

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
daphne, groeneveld