How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-10-2011
V.I.P.

Wow. WOW. WOW. WOW. I can't even.
Posted via Mobile Device

05-10-2011
V.I.P.

bummer, i wonder which exclusive she could have been? well there's always F/W

05-10-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
(twitter ehren dorsey)
I am actually mad and sad. I wonder whom the exclusive was for. It seems like she got canceled because of her walk.

V.I.P.

How disappointing. She should start wearing heels 24/7 if she truly wants to become a model.

05-10-2011
V.I.P.

I hope she practice her walk a lot and stay confident, who knows maybe we'll see her at the Couture shows. But in the meantime, keep the amazing print work coming. :p

V.I.P.

that's just poor management from the agency. they should tell these new girls they need to know how to walk in heels, and when they go to casting bring a pair of heels in their bag. they don't have to live in heels, they just need to have heels for casting and know how to use them!

05-10-2011
V.I.P.

LV and high heels aside... Anyone got scans of her AnOther Magazine spread?

07-10-2011
backstage pass

Wtf???

12-10-2011
tfs star

Now that Ehren has bigger debt to her agencies from two fashion weeks, they will have to find her some work to pay it off. Good luck Ehren.

BTW, the story that she was discovered cleaning houses was the usual misdirection from her mother agency. A local newspaper story informs us that she was under development with another local agency for two years before.

The article also notes that she had a tough time walking in heels in St. Louis and her haircut was originally an accident.

Local news stories always seem to blurt out these home truths that agency PR would hate.

Quote:
Ehren Dorsey has the beguiling gaze of a blue-eyed gypsy, the face of a mythical beauty who might have been a warrior princess and the lanky physique of an Yves St. Laurent muse.
But the attribute that has people buzzing about this model has more to do with what she doesn't have at the moment — hair.
"When I first saw her, I thought it, and maybe I even said it out loud, 'This is a girl who could shave her head and still look gorgeous,'" Christina Klobe of Centro Models said. She couldn't narrow down Dorsey's appeal to just one thing. Maybe it was the eyes, the cheeks, the lips, no ... it was everything, Klobe concluded. Dorsey, of St. Charles, was the ideal visage of a top model.
And then as if to prove Klobe's theory, she shaved her head. It was an accident. Dorsey had attempted to cut her own hair and ended up with a mess that could only be salvaged with clippers. And although she can't imagine not having a shaved head now, at the time, Dorsey says that it scared her.
Within a few days Dorsey said she felt more comfortable than she'd ever imagined. Klobe, however, "freaked out."
Dorsey had been under development at Centro for a few years, but Klobe had strongly urged Dorsey to grow her hair. Stylists and designers generally want options, so models with long, straight hair are the standard with a few notable exceptions.
Dorsey decided that if being a model meant that she had to look like a typical sweet, cheery, apple pie-loving Midwest girl, she didn't want to be a model. It didn't matter that she'd been stopped in the streets by more than one modeling scout or that she had been recruited for a number of local fashion shows, she was prepared to keep working at Starbucks until she figured things out.
In the meantime, she got a few piercings on her face and a few tattoos — including one on the back of her neck. It could have been the kiss of death for a model, unless you look like Dorsey. Her penetrating gaze didn't falter, and the mystique she exudes in photos didn't diminish.
She ended up under the wing of another agency, Mother Model Management, known as tireless model scouts who sometimes raise eyebrows for approaching talent from other agencies. Their talent typically epitomizes a style that is wholesome, fresh and vaguely exotic.
Dorsey's atypical appearance may look tough or perhaps stand-offish, but she is surprisingly chatty and relaxed.
"She doesn't look like any other model we've ever had, but she's not what she looks like," said Jeff Clarke of Mother Model Management. "She's really sweet and thoughtful, but really all of that gives her that look."
There are a lot of beautiful women, but it takes a special quality to look three-dimensional on a piece of paper or computer screen, and Clarke said that Dorsey has that quality.
Dorsey also has good timing. Androgyny is in.
"Her look is very now," Clarke agreed. "She's beautiful with hair and beautiful without hair. She's that kind of girl that can morph into anything. She could seem like a boy, but if you look, she's like a complete, classic beauty. It's undeniable."
Dorsey said that she loves the duality of being a girl with hints of masculinity or perhaps being misconstrued as a boy with feminine features. Even her name is a personal reminder of that. Her given name is "Erin." She changed the spelling as a simple, quiet way of acknowledging her bisexuality. She hopes that the way she looks strikes up a conversation with substance.
She said that she'd rather be memorable than pretty.
Dorsey has two lip piercings, five asymmetrical ear piercings and three tattoos (with plans for more) — currently, she has a biohazard symbol that represents a government decision that resulted in thousands of hemophiliacs becoming HIV-positive; a series of numbers on her wrist in remembrance of Holocaust victims; and two intersecting triangles that represent her solidarity with victims of the Holocaust and her changing perspectives on sexuality.
"She's the kind of girl who's like an infestation, in a good way ... can you say that?" Clarke wondered. His wife and business partner, Mary, called out over his shoulder that "liberated" is probably a better word.
"She knows who she is, and she knows what she wants, and people read that and are completely drawn in by her," Clarke said.
Dorsey is an atypical model for a number of reasons, the most prominent one is that she hates telling people that she's a model. She said that there's really no way of nonchalantly talking about a modeling career without 'sounding like you're bragging or something.
"Some girls get really jealous, so I'm afraid to talk about how hard this job is. They think this is a piece of cake: You stand in front of the camera, you move your arms a little bit, and that's it," Dorsey said.
"There's a lot of pressure to be perfect, and you can feel like a failure as a person," Dorsey said. "It's so fickle and frustrating."
That's what made her walk away from modeling before. She told Klobe at Centro that the business was too superficial and materialistic. Dorsey said that she wanted to work with charities and nonprofits to make a difference.
Klobe said that she was blunt at the time, "We're not curing cancer here. We're providing a pleasant distraction from the grind of day-to-day life for people."
Klobe said she told Dorsey that modeling is a job — and, yes, it's superficial — but it is one that can help her create a platform to be a positive influence and do good work in the future. Now, Klobe admits that she wishes she had expressed that better to Dorsey and she wishes she had accepted her haircut without pause.
Clarke expects Dorsey's look to cause a sensation. She is in the September issue of the fashion, art and culture magazine Dazed and Confused wearing Emporio Armani and Versace, and it's clear that she has the look and poise stylists and photographers covet.
This season, Dorsey will be a new face during New York Fashion Week, which starts this week. She has her fingers crossed that she'll be cast in men's and women's runway shows. To prepare, she's been practicing her walks.
So far, she's only walked in two shows here in St. Louis called Pins and Needles, but she wants to break an unfortunate streak. She fell both times.
"It's not as easy as it looks," she said.

stltoday.com

12-10-2011
V.I.P.

^ Well in a new Q&A on Interview Magazine she says she went to an Open Call @ Mother Model Management. Well who cares....

Quote:

For Patrick Demarchelier's "Top Gun" couture story in Interview's October issue, creative director Karl Templer needed tough, pretty girls with personality. Rising star Ehren Dorsey (Mother) fit the bill. Here the young model talks about the townie styles where she grew up, and practicing her walk by stalking people on the street.

Where did you grow up? Saint Charles, Missouri.

Was it very fashionable? Saint Charles involves only three types of fashion sense, which center around either Hollister, American Eagle, etc; goth and punk, or the new hipster trend. I fell into none of those categories.

Did you grow up reading magazines? My parents are very religious and discouraged any exposure to anything remotely secular or sexual—which is exactly what they consider fashion magazines and tabloids to be.

Were you tall? I have always been tall, yes. I suffered from very severe growing pains when I was eight years old and have been about three inches taller than everyone around me ever since then. Both of my parents and all of my siblings are tall as well.

How were you discovered? I had gone to an open call for Mother about a year and a half ago. but the timing wasn't right. A local photographer shot me later and said he thought they want to see me again. Jeff and Mary [Clarke] met me at Starbucks. They felt I could really do this, and they got the ball rolling immediately.

What has been your dream campaign? Alexander McQueen.

Whose runway have you always wanted to walk? Alexander Wang.

Whose look are you obsessed with right now? I don't obsess over anyone really, but people who have influenced me include Katharine Hepburn, David Bowie, Annie Lennox, Joan of Arc, and Alexander McQueen, to name a few. I am very inspired by strong individuals.

What is your favorite city? I haven't been to many cities except New York. My family has never been able to afford to travel much in my life. We were taught as children to explore what was closest to us and find culture and appreciation in that. So Saint Louis, I suppose. The city with a culture that is being forgotten and lost.

What is your favorite food? Doughnut sticks. Or Cosmic Brownies.

Tell us about your first shoot. We shot in this man's apartment, and he used an old Polaroid camera. I had to hold each pose for about 15 to 20 seconds while the film captured the image and processed. It was the only photo shoot that I ever did fully nude. It was an experience worth having. You don't know your boundaries until you experiment and push them. That's my philosophy. Everyone was extremely kind and the atmosphere was very light and fun. I learned a lot that day.

How do you prepare to walk? I walk around my house in my shoes. I walk up the street, and around the block. I practice different paces and push myself to walk faster and stronger than I feel comfortable doing. You learn best when you fall and screw up. I also have practiced different walks a lot. I made a habit while I was in New York of following people (men and women) around on the street and imitating their walks.
(via interviewmagazine)

12-10-2011
V.I.P.

Ehren just slays, nice interview!

V.I.P.

She's on the cover of China Modern Weekly.

(Mother Model)

15-10-2011
The future is stupid

Ehren looks stunning in Another Magazine.
Part of her head is cut off in some of the pics but she still looks good!
The other model in the editorial is Corinna Ingenleuf.
Styled by Robbie Spencer. Photographed by Roe Ethridge.
Posted via Mobile Device

ETA: Snaps of Ehren by me

Last edited by MissMagAddict; 15-10-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Additional
17-10-2011
V.I.P.

Not too keen on the cropping of some of them but glad to see her in print!

backstage pass

Her hairs grown and she's been bleached blonde
Quote:
Polaroid of Ehren Dorsey @ehrenator at @NextModelLondon just arrived in London for the month! #ForceOfNature

twitter/coacd

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dorsey, ehren