How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-02-2012
V.I.P.

Elle Macpherson at The Grove to appear on the programme 'Extra' (Feb. 20) - celebutopia

23-02-2012
V.I.P.

celebutopia

23-02-2012
V.I.P.

celebutopia

23-02-2012
hors concours♛

oh no I miss her bronde hair.

V.I.P.

Elle MacPherson 2012-03-06 - Rodial Beautiful Awards in London - Celebrity-Paradise.com

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

celebrity-paradise

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

celebrity-paradise

08-03-2012
V.I.P.

her face looks so incredibly beautiful!! she really does age well

12-03-2012
V.I.P.

'Fashion Star': It's not 'Runway,' but will it take off?

NBC's Fashion Star, which makes its premiere Tuesday (9:30 p.m. ET), is a few formats knit into one: American Idol (each week 14 designers face elimination from a trio of industry judges), Victoria's Secret Fashion Show (the first episode opens with models clad in host Elle Macpherson's lingerie), game show (the judges — buyers from Macy's, H&M and Saks Fifth Avenue— enter a bidding war to scoop up contestants' weekly pieces) and shopping channel (viewers can purchase the winning apparel after every episode).
One thing Fashion Star is not, the producers and cast insist, is a pumped-up Project Runway, despite the power pop soundtrack, flashing lights and final purse: $6 million in clothes orders.
"This program has never pretended to be about cutting clothes," says Macpherson, who is also an executive producer. "This is about style and about buying and selling and about building brands."
Says Jessica Simpson, who is a mentor, along with Nicole Richie and John Varvatos: "It's kind of like having a stylist: 'This is the right thing to wear, it's on trend.' It's like watching a magazine."
So don't expect any challenges amid the 10 one-hour shows akin to "here's 15 packets of nori (seaweed) and salmon, now make a sushi shirt," says Paul Teledgy, NBC's president of alternative programming. The goal isn't to MacGyver garbage bags into a sheath dress but to create something that's chic and marketable. Even then, the pins-and-needles process is less important than the rack-ready product.
"There's a lot of layers to the show," Macpherson says.
Which means Fashion Star's legs are long, its creators say. "It's the kind of show that could repurpose on E!, Style and CNBC," says executive producer Ben Silverman.
" 'Commercial' is no longer a dirty word in fashion," says executive producer Jane Lipsitz, who co-produced Runway until it left Bravo for Lifetime in 2008. A-list designers are turning out "affordable lines that still deliver in the fashion sense, and they sell out like crazy." Witness Marni mania at H&M just last week: The collection was nearly gone by the end of Day 1.
On other fashion competition shows, "they're designing a fantasy that really never goes anywhere, and for the most part, you never hear of these designers after they leave," Varvatos says. Indeed, Runway might be seen as unraveling in terms of relevance. Its current season of All Stars is averaging just 1.8 million viewers, far below the franchise's Season 8 (2010) peak of 4.4 million.
"It's one thing to make a one-of-a-kind, but it's another thing to make something that can be executed" en masse, Varvatos says.
To those who snipe that creativity gets stifled in the name of sales, "I can tell you right now that after having spent time with these 14 designers, each is extremely talented," Richie says.
And colorful, of course, in keeping with reality TV, from the straight-shooter Texan (literally — he's a husband and a hunter) to the sexist Australian who questions whether women could critique menswear. The latter, Simpson says, "really knew how to light my fire."

V.I.P.

Elle Macpherson arriving at the Rockefeller Center in New York City for an appearance on the Today Show - zimbio

13-03-2012
clo
V.I.P.

She's got the word "chic" written all over her.

14-03-2012
V.I.P.

Elle Macpherson - 'Fashion Star' celebration at Macy's Herald Square, March 13 - celebutopia

14-03-2012
V.I.P.

Elle Macpherson 2012-03-13 - At NBC building in New York - Celebrity-Paradise.com

14-03-2012
V.I.P.

celebrity-paradise

04-04-2012
V.I.P.

Elle Macpherson 2012-04-02 - Introduces her TV Show Fashion Star in Cannes - Celebrity-Paradise.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
elle, macpherson