How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

29-12-2012
fashion elite

^Your argument is a fallacy in itself. You are comparing very different times in modeling. This thread is not about Karlie and that wasn't the intention of my comment. All I was saying is Karlie is pretty much in the 1999/2000 period of Giseles career and it can go one of two ways...

Models might not be able to snag bundles of US Vogue covers today but some, like Karlie and Kate Upton, are receiving the modern equivalent. The path has changed but the game will never change. Fashion needs a Gisele to come along every other generation or it would become as stale as it is now. The stars have aligned and we are just waiting to see who will take the ultimate prize.

29-12-2012
trendsetter

Oh people, please... You have to ask someone who doesn't know anything about models, and if that person knows who Karlie is, then MAYBE, just maybe, you could say that Karlie is getting close to what Giselle is or was in the past. I'm not a fan of either of these girls, but I can't deny that Karlie is not even close to Giselle, just look and ask around people that is not related to fashion and you guys will see.

There's something that Karlie lacks and Giselle has, which is sex appeal, and that sells, whether we like it or not. They both do amazing in both high fashion and commercial, but just because they both do well, that doesn't mean that you can actually say that they're alike- they just have some things in common, just as a lot of other models do.

29-12-2012
fashion elite

Omg there's only one Gisele in the world, that's. She's the most successfull, most paid model of all time, she's in the 10 most rich women in the world, come'on guys be real, Karlie can be a big model but Gisele is Gisele, it's impossible to be on her level or even bigger than her.
When do you guys think she'll be back at work? I guess probably the last days of January, if so we'll see her in the April/May issues, i wouldn't be surprised to see her on American Vogue cover, what about the age issue? She has 2 children, a supermodel and haven't been on the cover from 2010... And i'm quite sure Emmanuelle will put her on the cover of Vogue Paris this year.

29-12-2012
hors concours♛

Not sure if she has a contract this time around that stipulates she has to be back to work after so long (like with Colcci). The only thing I have read are the People mag rumors, which I really hope is untrue. I always liked how she didnt do tabloid photoshoots.

29-12-2012
front row

I don't understand why people are comparing Karlie to Gisele Bundchen. The same thing happened with Daria and Natalia when they were in their prime. Everyone is trying to make it happen.

But what everyone is forgetting is what the time really was like when Gisele was booming in her early 20s. She created and set trends. She was an original. She made tousled, textured wavy hair "in." She made bayalage highlights "in." She made honey/caramel highlights on an ash light brown base "in." She made muscles and boobs "in." She started the twist and bend poses you see models doing today to create shape. She was part of the tan/glow revival-bronzer, highlighter, shimmer etc. We're still living in the post-Gisele era where a lot of trends and our ideal standards are based on Gisele. VS is still basing their most used hairstyles off of Gisele's signature hairstyle.

I don't see Karlie being able to influence men and women all the way down to their shower routines because she's just not as original as Gisele. Karlie is a great model but not the icon people are materializing her to be and the biggest downfall for any model being compared to Gisele or Kate Moss (how many girls have we heard were going to be the next Kate?) is the comparison itself.

29-12-2012
hors concours♛

Anyone have any info on this?

August 13, 2012
Advertisers Finesse the Art of Enticement
Quote:
For the first time, Givenchy created a separate campaign for fall specifically dedicated to optical frames; it stars Stella Tennant. A follow-up sunglasses campaign—featuring Gisele Bündchen—will be released for next spring.
wwd

29-12-2012
V.I.P.

i think another aspect of why Gisele is unreachable is that the sheer amount of money that she earns is sooo above and beyond all the other models. even Kate Moss, in her biggest year, earned $14 million --- less than half of what Gisele earned the same year.

and the fact that everyone recognizes her as such a huge money-maker continues to increase her fame and the general public's respect for her.

BUT - a huge portion of this money comes from the South American market (Brazil, specifically). and this has everything to do with timing and capitalization of that blossoming market. Gisele was the first and the most fluent in English and so the most important of the "Brazilian Invasion" of models in the early 2000s. and so she became iconic in that country which was itself entering a phase of massive economic boom and rising international influence. Gisele was the face that ushered that country onto the global platform. TIMING.

Last edited by happycanadian; 29-12-2012 at 06:03 PM.

29-12-2012
front row

^^ You pointed out some really great facts.

Gisele's relevance goes beyond her high fashion campaigns, runway appearances, editorials with the best photographers, appearances in Men's lifestyle magazines, beauty/fragrance and commercial work. It's deeper than that and all the comparisons are very simplified. If people think Gisele is huge in the USA and Europe and the rest of the world, wait until they see the reactions in South America/Brazil. She's seriously an icon there--almost like Madonna status.

29-12-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
^Your argument is a fallacy in itself. You are comparing very different times in modeling. This thread is not about Karlie and that wasn't the intention of my comment. All I was saying is Karlie is pretty much in the 1999/2000 period of Giseles career and it can go one of two ways...

Models might not be able to snag bundles of US Vogue covers today but some, like Karlie and Kate Upton, are receiving the modern equivalent. The path has changed but the game will never change. Fashion needs a Gisele to come along every other generation or it would become as stale as it is now. The stars have aligned and we are just waiting to see who will take the ultimate prize.
I agree to a certain extent. Of course the industry will always have its biggest, most in demand model. It's always been like that, but it makes me laugh when people start looking for the next Gisele because a successful model of that magnitude will never happen again. It just won't. It's impossible. Not even the Supers at their peak could compare to Gisele's success. Even if you say that Karlie and Kate are the modern equivalent they still haven't got a smidgen of the success Gisele had at their age. I mean, Gisele was everywhere. At 20 Gisele already had a $20 million contract with VS. These girls are still waiting for a freaking Vogue cover. They're still waiting for a major contract. To compare anyone today to Gisele is just laughable. It's such a corny thing to say, but she's in a league of her own. Personally, I don't even get her appeal. She's a great model, but I look at her and I just think that there are so many girls in Brazil who are a million times more beautiful. Still, that doesn't keep me from marveling at her success.

29-12-2012
backstage pass

I'd say karlie is definetly on her way..DEFINETLY NOT SAYING SHES THERE NOW. 10 years from now I think its possible that she could have the same iconic status that gisele currently has..If theres any model out there currently who has any chance of becoming the gisele 10 years from now, I'd say karlie. Of course she could fade, and just go away, but if she continues the amount of work shes doing now, I think its quite possible she could get there.

29-12-2012
front row

^^ Well, to reiterate some of the points HappyCanadian made, Gisele was part of/created a type of social and economic change/movement/landmark. That's huge. Beyond Kate Moss huge and beyond Christie Brinkley huge. I'd go as far and say Gisele is in the league of Michael Jordan, Madonna and Michael Jackson. Gisele is more than a fashion icon. I can see Karlie more like a Kate Moss or Natalia Vodianova when she's 31 (maybe) but definitely not like Gisele especially to the American people. She's not really on the same track.

30-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAUU View Post
I agree to a certain extent. Of course the industry will always have its biggest, most in demand model. It's always been like that, but it makes me laugh when people start looking for the next Gisele because a successful model of that magnitude will never happen again. It just won't. It's impossible. Not even the Supers at their peak could compare to Gisele's success. Even if you say that Karlie and Kate are the modern equivalent they still haven't got a smidgen of the success Gisele had at their age. I mean, Gisele was everywhere. At 20 Gisele already had a $20 million contract with VS. These girls are still waiting for a freaking Vogue cover. They're still waiting for a major contract. To compare anyone today to Gisele is just laughable. It's such a corny thing to say, but she's in a league of her own. Personally, I don't even get her appeal. She's a great model, but I look at her and I just think that there are so many girls in Brazil who are a million times more beautiful. Still, that doesn't keep me from marveling at her success.
I agree with everything you said here. Though I'll admit I've compared Karlie with Gisele before, too. Not because I think she could ever get as rich, famous and popular as Gisele. But because I think the way she markets herself is similar to how Gisele conquered the media. Karlie, unlike any other model of her generation, is crossing over and is successful in many areas - HF modeling, commercial modeling, lingerie modeling, presenting a TV show, lots of partying and hanging out with celebrities, making sure there's gossip around her, being a muse to various designers and photographers, being Anna Wintour's favorite, making cameos in TV shows (Gossip Girl), etc. She's more pop-culture than any other models that have emerged in recent years. That is what makes her comparable to Gisele. It's all still very small-scale in relation to how huge Gisele is, but it's the same approach of covering as many fields as possible while still staying a high fashion darling (unlike Heidi, Tyra, etc who have become solely commercial models and media personalities). Similarly Kate Upton is going the opposite direction, trying to become a high fashion model after having achieved most of the other things, but we'll see how well that will work, I don't see her lasting in HF.

Gisele's career is insanely fascinating. No one will ever come close to reaching her fame and status. But it's refreshing to see younger models having those ambitions, being passionate about modeling and not just using it as a steppingstone to eventually move on to something else that has very little to do with fashion and modeling.

30-12-2012
V.I.P.

imo something that sets Gisele and Karlie apart and makes them incomparable is that Gisele has more range, she can go from HF to very commercial in a beat while Karlie isn´t that commerciable because of her face and body type... eg there´s only so much you can do with photoshop to make her lips and breasts look fuller/bigger.
Part of Gisele´s success was that she brought back to fashion the bombshell type, she was so publicize because of that. Today the type is so set that no girl can get as much as free promo as she did, not even Kate Upton.

Last edited by kokobombon; 30-12-2012 at 08:42 AM.

30-12-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
imo something that sets Gisele and Karlie apart and makes them incomparable is that Gisele has more range, she can go from HF to very commercial in a beat while Karlie isn´t that commerciable because of her face and body type... eg there´s only so much you can do with photoshop to make her lips and breasts look fuller/bigger.Part of Gisele´s success was that she brought back to fashion the bombshell type, she was so publicize because of that. Today the type is so set that no girl can get as much as free promo as she did, not even Kate Upton.
I'd say thats more of a matter of opinion.

30-12-2012
V.I.P.

^noticed the "imo" at the beginning of my post? it stands for "in my opinion"

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, 2014, bündchen, february, gisele, october