How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

30-12-2012
backstage pass

and I even think it's pretty obvious from the backlash HF models have had after walking VS fashion show like Anja and Karlie K. saying they don't have the same appeal

30-12-2012
hors concours♛

Natalia always gets the glory for starting the Russian model craze. Gisele was just as influential for the Brazilian model craze, years before. (which I feel like she never gets credit for). Of course the model who starts such a movement is going to be "the one" no matter who's prettier,sexier etc to some people. Just about every iconic model has usually started some kind of movement or trend.

I think Karlie and Kate are probably the biggest contenders. but still Gisele at age 20 >

30-12-2012
front row

If you walk into the most popular sports bar in a metropolitan area, the guys will swoon over Sports Illustrated types, Miranda Kerr, Adriana Lima and Gisele Bundchen. I can guarantee Karlie will get less than 20% of the crowd's love and I can guarantee no one is going to prefer her over the aforementioned models. They might say she's cute. Her range just doesn't go as far as the men's model market. Women and male fashionistas "get" her more than the average guy.

The difference here is that Gisele has the men's model market down as well as all the way up to the avant-garde/fashionista/couture/artistic model market (which does not like Miranda Kerr and other bombshell like or SI models), the women's lifestyle market and the teenage girl market.

I think the only model in history, but she isn't considered a model anymore, who has a bigger and wealthier empire than Gisele is Kathy Ireland at 2 Billion. She's a Sports Illustrated girl. The girls who became household names in middle America were bombshells. As Heidi Klum once said, there's a reason why people remember bombshell type models many decades later...fashionistas might try to argue that the bombshell type of model is "irrelevant" in the industry now but the "relevant" girls of fashion are "irrelevant" to people who don't follow fashion!

30-12-2012
V.I.P.

I´d say (again, my opinion) that the contender against Gisele is Candice Swanepoel, judging by opinions on this thread. She appeals to the male market (GQ, VS) and still gets HF gigs (magazines, ad campaigns & runway).
I don´t know if she can ever get Gisele´s status (or any other of the true supermodels) but is there a model nowadays who can? imo the supermodel era as we knew it is over... am I the only one who gets nostalgic remembering those days?

30-12-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
I´d say (again, my opinion) that the contender against Gisele is Candice Swanepoel, judging by opinions on this thread. She appeals to the male market (GQ, VS) and still gets HF gigs (magazines, ad campaigns & runway).
I don´t know if she can ever get Gisele´s status (or any other of the true supermodels) but is there a model nowadays who can? imo the supermodel era as we knew it is over... am I the only one who gets nostalgic remembering those days?
I love Candice but I don't think she is a strong contender to bring the "supermodel era", meaning creating a multi-million empire and setting new trends in beauty and sex appeal.

I think if we want to see a model who can reach that groundbreaking, society appealing status, then it's something that cannot be forced and someone who doesn't need people to convince/try hard the general public. It has to be a girl who is totally unique and doesn't follow the rules of the status quo. All the girls are trying to "be the next Gisele" and following it by the book all the way down to the client list and the hairstyle. Someone who can become the next Cindy, Gisele or Kathy Ireland needs to bring something new to the table but still classically bombshell.

30-12-2012
hors concours♛

these are not new, but never posted.

Gisele Bündchen fotografada por Márcio Scavone.

instagram/galeriachroma

Gisele e Marcelo Sebá, diretor de criação da Talkshop

talkshopbr

@isadorablack
She's beautiful, humble, generous, and with a huge heart. Too awesome! Thanks for everything @ GiseleOfficial!

A powerful amazing Girl Friend weekend at @I Can Do It Conference in DC. My dear friend Gisele Bundchen & her two best friends: Jody & Charlene joined us to celebrate Mommy High Vibration Weekend & they all received a copy of The Day I Became A Superhero Gisele loves short story books for children that have powerful messages about gifts within. "Honi, I LOVE your book and how short it is that tells children how wonderful they are already. " Gisele Bundchen

facebook/thedayibecameasuperhero

twitter/honiborden

Met Giselle Bunchen

twitter/1Dniallhoran19

Memories from my last #FNO in #NYC with #giselebundchen #backstage #fashion #love

cassandradelav insatgram

Last edited by michelabella; 30-12-2012 at 07:05 PM.

30-12-2012
hors concours♛

a glimpse inside Gisele's home in Costa Rica :p

facebook.com/HoniBordenAuthorSpeakerHealer

30-12-2012
hors concours♛

Me and Gisele backstage at Ralph Lauren, Sept 2000. I'm not excited at all. #tbt

instagram emilywweiss

31-12-2012
tfs star

I'm probably gonna get yelled at for this, but I honestly thought Rosie Huntington had the potential to be the next Gisele RIGHT AFTER her Transformers role. Rosie was very HF oriented prior to the film debuting, and was getting major respect from many, many major players in the fashion industry. Transformers than almost made her a household name. Heck even random people in my high school knew who she was! You cannot argue that she got HUGE exposure from that movie (even if she wasn't the best actress).

But here's the BIG but. She stopped doing VS. Honestly, had she continued doing VS, they would have pushed her SO much. She would have been fronting all their campaigns, and probably would get the most media coverage as the huge actress/VS supermodel. Had she kept up her HF cred, she still would be getting all these major clients that had embraced her prior to VS. She could definitely had juggled those two worlds just as flawlessly as Gisele had.

But unfortunately, all her potential was waisted. She's now a mediocre actress that has a rich BF that does modeling work here and there. Ugh.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

31-12-2012
front row

^^ I wouldn't say exactly like Gisele but yes, she had the potential to create a legendary/iconic household name like Tyra, Gisele etc. People definitely know her name more than other VS girls..including Candice (in fact, I found interviews where the interviewee thinks Candice is Rosie..) and people like her. That transformers role did an incredible job putting Rosie in the limelight since she's basically the girl who bumped over Megan Fox.

Another model who everyone was hoping would become the next Gisele was Karolina Kurkova. Karolina was a designer favorite, editor and photographer favorite and VS Angel. But she didn't come close...

31-12-2012
hors concours♛

I think Rosie was called the next Kate and Gisele in her early career. Bar was called the next Gisele...I think Gisele just has a great work ethic. I always read her saying in her early days how she wanted respect from clients. She didn't want to just be known as a lingerie model. Too many models get a huge publicity/money job and completely abandon fashion. They lose their prestige. I also think what helped Gisele is she treated modeling as a business/job, not a lifestyle.

A little interview behind the scenes Vogue Paris
Superbody Gisele by Wendy Rowe

wendyrowe.com

31-12-2012
hors concours♛

@NomadRJ
Clearly not having a good time-@giseleofficial & Italo Gregorio.

31-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel29 View Post
I'm probably gonna get yelled at for this, but I honestly thought Rosie Huntington had the potential to be the next Gisele RIGHT AFTER her Transformers role. Rosie was very HF oriented prior to the film debuting, and was getting major respect from many, many major players in the fashion industry. Transformers than almost made her a household name. Heck even random people in my high school knew who she was! You cannot argue that she got HUGE exposure from that movie (even if she wasn't the best actress).

But here's the BIG but. She stopped doing VS. Honestly, had she continued doing VS, they would have pushed her SO much. She would have been fronting all their campaigns, and probably would get the most media coverage as the huge actress/VS supermodel. Had she kept up her HF cred, she still would be getting all these major clients that had embraced her prior to VS. She could definitely had juggled those two worlds just as flawlessly as Gisele had.

But unfortunately, all her potential was waisted. She's now a mediocre actress that has a rich BF that does modeling work here and there. Ugh.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

yep!! i totally agree!!! i think Rosie and her team overestimated the staying power that being the Transformers girl would provide. they thought she was making the leap from model to moviestar, and it just didn't turn out that way. had she kept her VS contract and kept working at HF as well as doing films, she could've been MASSIVE.

31-12-2012
V.I.P.

^perfect example of that is Gisele, she´s such a powerhouse!! I´m in awe of her and her business savviness
(being in Taxi in 2004 but still keeping her contract with VS, if I recall correctly critics weren´t fans of her acting either... -granted, it was a minor role than Rosie´s-)

01-01-2013
hors concours♛

She had 3rd place most tv commericals appearances in Brazil for 2012

Quote:
Camila Pitanga was the queen of commercial broadcast television in 2012, the newspaper "Folha de S. Paulo" on Thursday (27). The survey was done by Concurrency Control, and determined that the actress's novel "Side by Side" appeared on over 7000 television commercials, starring only five different campaigns.

Second is the actor Reynaldo Gianecchini, which, it said, "became a symbol of overcoming face after lymphatic cancer." In 2012, Giane was poster boy of eight empreas and appeared in more than 5,800 advertising inserts.

The model Gisele Bundchen got the third place with 5,600 appearances in commercials. The soccer player Neymar, despite having represented this year 12 different brands appeared in fourth place with 5,300 appearances. Ronaldo Nazario was in fifth place, and appeared more than 4,200 times during the commercial breaks.
revistaquem.globo.com

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, 2014, bündchen, february, gisele, october