How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

28-04-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ana* View Post
^those are new to me too, and this is one of the best pictures i've ever seen of her... well all of them are really good, i just don't like the last one very much.
Really? I like the last one a lot actually, more so than the one before that, which kind of looks awkward.

29-04-2009
front row

Zoo magazine #19 2008: Irina Lazareanu & Sean Lennon

source: celebrity picture crew

These were taken a while back but as far as I know it hasn't been posted here in full. I have a few more I'll post in a sec. Love this editorial!

29-04-2009
front row

Last 3! Not as big as the ones before, sadly:

source: philipgay.net

29-04-2009
Mr. Magic

Can't get enough of her

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

29-04-2009
fashion elite

i have this zoo magazine and i love the editorial. i look at it almost every week, it's so beautiful. i also really like the interview with irina, she's great

29-04-2009
thunder perfect mind

amazing photos!
thanks so much for posting!

Last edited by mousyy; 29-04-2009 at 07:59 AM.

29-04-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuliach View Post
i have this zoo magazine and i love the editorial. i look at it almost every week, it's so beautiful. i also really like the interview with irina, she's great
Oh, oh, please please please, could you could type out the article? *bats eyelashes* Please?

29-04-2009
fashion elite

just the beginning:

"As one of the world's top paid models, Irina Lazareanu has the fashion world sprawled at her shapely feet. But it's music, not modeling that really fires Lazareanu's imagination. She counts Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Patti Smith among her heroes and can recite many of their songs by heart. Now, at the age of 26, Lazareanu is determined to make her own mark on the music world as a singer and songwriter. The Canadian-born artist is currently hard at work on her first album, which is being produced by Sean Lennon."
Zoo Magazine-2008 No.19

i do the rest in a few hours

29-04-2009
V.I.P.

she is beautiful, but to me she has lost some of her edge

29-04-2009
front row

Thanks for the taster, chuliac!

You know, I'm beginning to think she *is* serious about this musician lark--for a while there I thought it was merely a pose she adopted. Btw, can she actually play the guitar or does it mostly function as a pretty prop in photoshoots?

29-04-2009
V.I.P.

thanks for all the pics, I love irina, I want her back!!!

29-04-2009
fashion elite

interview zoo magazine, 2008
"Tobias Grey: Why did you decide to call the album Some Place Along the Way?
Irina Lazareanu: That's because we wrote the album like a book. Every song is like a chapter of a book, hence "some place along the way", telling a story as it unfolds. There are a lot of songs that keep on being added on which makes it almost like an untold story. Whenever me and Sean (Lennon) are together we go in the studio and try and get it done. We haven't put a timeline on it. When it's ready, it's ready and i think we'll both know.
TG: Are you still doing a cover version of Bob Dylan's 'Girl from the North Country' on the album?
IL: Yeah, that's one of my favorite songs and Sean had the idea of doing a cover of it with Peter Doherty. I think that'll happen in May as Sean's coming over to England and we'll all be able to get together in the studio.
The three of us will be able to sit down properly and start recording. But the best thing is I've got loads of demos. There's a three-minute version that me and Peter did of 'Strange Places' as well as the version that me and Sean did which has already been released. What I like about the demo stuff is that you can hear people talking in the background; it has the feeling of a bootleg. It's really minimalist; there are guitars, banjos and harmonicas, hand clapping and foot-stamping.
TG: 'Girl from the North Country' is one of Dylan's folksiest songs. Are you influenced by folk music?
IL: Yeah. A lot the stuff I like to do is basically spoken word poetry which just flows. I'm very inspired by Patti Smith in the way that she builds her songs. I used to say things a lot and really think about the structure of what I was saying and whether my vocabulary was good enough. Now I've taken all that away and am just trying to say things as simply as possible. I just go straight to the point in what I write and I don't really think about what I'm writing when I write it, I just let it out.
TG: I guess you have more than enough material for several albums by now.
IL: Yeah, we do. I've got about 30 or 40 songs that I keep rotating differently. I've also been working with Peter (Doherty) quite a lot recently on things that we've written together. I've also been working with Peter on a folk album he's doing based on some old tracks. I'm helping him and he's helping me. It's kind of great- artists just sitting around working together. Ny idea is to take these demos that we've recorded on the four-track and polish them, but not much, and release them as bootlegs.
TG: You seem to like collaborating with other musicians, as opposed to working alone in a corner.
IL: I admire peopke who sit in a corner and do their thing. It always starts like that for me but some place along the way it becomes a collaboration of artists trying to find a way of saying the same thing in a different way. When I collaborate it's almost like taking a conservation and putting it into music. About two nights ago I was listening to some demos with Sean in the studio. Funnily enough, if you mixed the different demos together Pete and Sean's guitar melodies matched perfectly. It's amazing because they were done at two different times in two different places. It's the same conservation. That's the kind of magic that can happen with music but it's even better if everybody's in the same place at the same time doing the same thing.
TG: What's it been like working with Sean?
IL: What I love about Sean is the fact that he can play every instrument and is a true musician. He's also an amazing producer. He knows how to take my overload of information and get right to the heart of it. He says, 'OK Irina, we're going to take this line'. I always want to say so much and he tempers that. I think he is one of the most amazing musicians of our time. I've never seem someone write, place the cello, the ciolin, the piano, the guitar on the same track, one after another and mix it altogether in about ten minutes. It''s like, 'dude I just went to the loo!'
TG: I listened to 'Strange Places' on YouTube and your singing style made me think of Leonard Cohen's, who happens to be from Montreal like you.
IL: That's the biggest compliment you could ever tell me. I think the artist who has influenced me most in my life is Leonard Cohen. His lyrics spoke to me as a child. There are a few moment when I was a little which I really remember. I remember my first Leonard Cohen song. It was a strange song and I remember the lyrics. I think it was 11 at the tame. I remember it saying, 'I hate to see a tired man lay down his hand to the holy game of poker, reaching for the sky just to surrender.' The strength of that lyrics about people giving up touched me.
TG: When did you leave home?
IL: I was 12 and I came to England.
TG: Did you feel quite together at that age and ready to make choices?
IL: I think I knew about where I was going when I was a kid and I knew more about was right and real then, than now sometimes, to be completely honest. I first met Peter (Doherty) and Carl (Barât) and the guys from The Libertines and all the kind of crazy kids in England. When you're a kid you have these kinds of ideals about changing the world. I'm reading Oscar Wilde and I have flowers in my hair and I'm listening to Joni Mitchell and I'm thinking yeah, 1969 was a great year. It's all about revolution, and then as you get older things change and you forget about these things and you think about things like having a job and paying the rent. Some of you have kids and some you become drug addicts and some of you die. This is how reality is and money becomes important and fame becomes important and interviews become important.
TG: So what do you do to keep yourself grounded?
IL: I left England when I think all those kinds of think took over. I love spending time alone and writing in my flat with my bottle of wine and my typewriter and my crazy hats with furs on them. I pretend like it's 1857 outside and the revolution of the (Paris) Commune is going on.
TG: What kind of songs are you writing at the moment?
IL: I wrote this one particular song which I keep talking about because it's such a huge part of my album. It's called 'Dead Man Walking'. I've been doing loads of work with Amnesty International. I was a politicas refugee. I left Romania when I was five-and-a-half. I crossed the fence with my parents. I was in refugee camps when I was little. So no matter how much fashion or glamour there is, that always grounds me. It takes me back to my roots because I've seen those things. I've seen people get killed. I've seem families be seperated and I've seen cruelty. In the back of you head I remember what it was like when I was a child.
TG: Did you work with refugees for Amnesty?
IL: I've worked with refugees. I've worked with the victims of child prostitution in Sierra Leone. I've seen networks in hotels where highly regarded people like judges and lawyers go over and buy five or six-year-old children. When I came back from that trip I found I couldn't go back to my normal life. I couldn't go back to going on a plane and going to a booking and coming here to chat about ****. I couldn't because it was like somebody opened a door which showed me another reality to my own.
TG: Did you write about it?
IL: I started to but I had such a writer's block and I couldn't put it into words what I'd seen. There was so much frustation and anger inside of me. Then sometimes it came out and I jotted it down like a spoken word on napkins. Rhere was no narration or paragraphs or anything. It was just snippets. That's how I wrote 'Dead Man Walking'.
TG: Where do like to hang out with your friends?
IL: There's a country house in London where I hang out with Peter. You should check out this thing on YouTube we made called Chicken Pyp which is a video of me and Peter going around the woods in blonde wigs and dresses looking for a Chicken Pyp. (Laughs) Peter directed the whole thing really got into it.
TG: Very English humor.
IL: Yes I love the irony of it.
TG: Well I hope when Pete (Doherty) comes out of jail he's in good spirits.
IL: I hope so too. He's alright.
He asked me to send him the Jane Fonda exercise video and a nail file. So he sounds like he's doing OK.
TG: Do you want to take your album on tour eventually?
IL: Yeah. I think there are a couple of festicals we might do. I might play with Babyshambles and with Sean. I think there are a couple of gigs that we're also preparing.
TG: Do you have any idea when the album will be ready or is there no time limit?
IL: There's no time limit. Whenever I try to make a time limit somebody get arrested or something happens.
TG: It must be amusing no longer being the muse all the time.
IL: Yeah. Karl Lagerfeld always called me a mascot because he said a muse just stands there whereas a mascot gets down to work. I think I've always done that. But I do like it if people are inspired by things I say or do. But they inspire me as much. I think 95 percent of the time me and Peter spend together, we write, or we make movies, or we take pictures; we're always doing something. Everything that's mine is his and it's always been like that.'
Zoo Magazine-2008 No.19

29-04-2009
V.I.P.

^ Dylan did Girl from the North Country with Johnny Cash- a true classic! I'd love to hear Irina do it! I feel sad that this interview was a year ago...Such exciting plans, but...

29-04-2009
front row

Well, she did say she wasn't going to put a time limit on it. Anyway, I like this interview a lot. Honestly, she can come across as a tireless self-promoting namedropper sometimes, and the hype tends to grate after awhile. Here though, she seems all right. Maybe it's cos she's been off the radar recently, absence making the heart grow fonder and all that.

Oh and thank you so much for typing out the interview, chuliac! I hereby pronounce you officially made of awesome.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2004, 2009, irina, june, lazareanu, november