How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-01-2005
scenester

She remines me of Catherina Zeta Jones, in her younger jears.
I don't like her now

02-01-2005
misschloe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady grey
for 50+ she looks amazing.
Yes, thanks to plastic surgery!

In my opinion she is extremly fake and annoys the hell out of me. I seriously doubt that she was the FIRST supermodel ever!

02-01-2005
The mod squad

She used to be so cute... I'm sure she wouldn't have lost her beauty if she only had stayed away from the doc... *sigh*

urd
tfs star

I find her annoying. I wonder if people make fun of her last name
dick-in-son..

04-01-2005
front row

Of course she has a career!
http://galella.wireimage.com/Gallery...6825&evntI=686

you don't have to be a top model to have a career in fashion. & you don't have to be on the cover of Vogue to have a career in fashion, although she's done both. i'd say she's more of a fashion-insider than any of us "experts" here.
Granted, I am soooo not a fan of America's Top Model nor have I bought her books- I just think it's sucky sour grapes that people believe only the geneticaly gifted & impossibly young are valid.
as for the first supermodel comments- it's just standard PR- a catchy tagline & it works- all your faves do it, if only in a way you find more tasteful & hip so as to go unnoticed. that's biz, ESPECIALLY the fashion biz!

i say- love what you love & ignore what you don't.

04-01-2005
front row

What I don't understand about her is why she claims she was the worlds first Super Model when she clearly wasn't. If that title goes to anyone, it might go to Twiggy who was around far before Ms. Dickinson. but I'm sure there were many even before her. Is Janice even older than Christy Brinkley and Cheryl Tiggs? They were super models who's careers were far more successful that Janice.

Was Janis even a Super Model? Until she came out and started bragging about her life, I'd never heard tell of her. She is so proud of the fact that she banged some A listers and did a lot of coke, it makes me sick, this is not a healthy thing to be talking about so lightly. There are many younger aspiring models who will see her as a roll model now that ANTM is on. At least she makes in knows she is clean and in the "program honey" her words.

Now, she has one killer body still, I'll give her that. She came out in a bodysuit once on ANTM and wow but her face is nothing like it used to be.

I haven't read this entire thread, so sorry if this was already mentioned BUT I watched the E True Hollywood story about the world of Super Models and they said that Janice took Sylvester Stalone to court, saying he was the father of her son and demanding money but when the tests came back, he wasn't. These guys don't even want to admit that they know Janice.

Did you notice in season 2 of ANTM there was a little play on words regarding the "worlds first" line? One week Tyra said, One of the first, another weeks she said something else. It was as if Tyra didn't want to say "Worlds First" but Janice was insisting on it. She'd get in such a pout if it wasn't said exactly so, too funny.

I find her one of those very annoying people, that just won't go away.

my 2 cents for what it's worth.

04-01-2005
front row

I bet you're riight about Twiggy- and Jean Shrimpton was from that time too, right? I have no idea if Brinkley & Tiegs were first, probably Tiegs at least. I'm just sayin' she made that tag up to get press & it worked & in a world of Trim Spa commercials & Monica Lewinski handbags, I think it's a minor PR infraction

04-01-2005
front row

After looking more at some of her younger pictures, I just want to add, my goodness she was hot when she was young. She seems to have changed her face into something that it was never intended to be, which is ugly, how sad. I would have liked to have seen her age gracefully. I also think that she'd still be beautiful.

Last edited by Spring_Fever; 04-01-2005 at 03:18 PM.
04-01-2005
tfs star

jan
in the late 70s & early 80s janice was equal to patti hansen- the top models in america.

i hope that clears things up.

its AFTER cheryl tiegs concurrent with brinkley & before carol alt.
janice & patti were MORE hi-fashion than brinkley.
cheryl tiegs is early/mid-70s.

and carol alt WAS called 'supermodel' FIRST in the press BUT janice WAS more super than her.

Last edited by lady grey; 04-01-2005 at 03:28 PM. Reason: ice
04-01-2005
front row

So I guess that even though "Tiegs" (and many others I'm sure) was around first and had a by far superior career to that of Janice's by reaching the mainstream and actually becoming a household name, Janice is riding on the fact that the actual word "Super" was used on her? Whatever it takes.

I think she's a has been that never was.

ETA I just reread what you posted and realize I got it wrong. So Carol Alt had the word first, so where does Janice come in? There were people who were Supermodels long before her but the word Supermodel was used after her? She's just one of the herd and seems to be having a hard time excepting that.

Thank you though, for the information.

Last edited by Spring_Fever; 04-01-2005 at 03:49 PM.
04-01-2005
tfs star

queen jan
""I think she's a has been that never was.""

janice was at the top of the business in late 70s/early 80s. for you to call her 'never was' is so wrong & offensive.

she was on top around the time the phrase supermodel was coined. it was coined for carol alt. janice was just as super as anyone else at that time.

it could also be applied to: verushka- twiggy- ali macgraw- marisa berenson- cybil shepherd- tiegs- brinkley- kim alexis- patti hansen- and other well-known 70s/80s supes.

janice is blustery as always calling herself 'the first' but imo she deserves it MORE than carol alt. so in a retro-active manner shes RIGHT!!

04-01-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring_Fever

I think she's a has been that never was.
She not a has been, she was on the cover on Vogue more than once. Back in her days only TOP models make it to vogue.

04-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady grey
""I think she's a has been that never was.""

janice was at the top of the business in late 70s/early 80s. for you to call her 'never was' is so wrong & offensive.

she was on top around the time the phrase supermodel was coined. it was coined for carol alt. janice was just as super as anyone else at that time.

it could also be applied to: verushka- twiggy- ali macgraw- marisa berenson- cybil shepherd- tiegs- brinkley- kim alexis- patti hansen- and other well-known 70s/80s supes.

janice is blustery as always calling herself 'the first' but imo she deserves it MORE than carol alt. so in a retro-active manner shes RIGHT!!
A fact. She was at the top- I'm sorry some of you have never heard of her prior to her little publicity stunt.
And yes, while shes extremely obnoxious you cannot deny her her past success.
Thank you Lady Grey.

04-01-2005
Muse

http://v64.com/gallery/covers.html

This page shows that Janice has been on Vogue 7 times

She does deserve the title SUPER because back then she was doing everything and booking work everywhere.

She was GORGEOUS!!!!

and my personal favorite that I post a page back

front row

OK point taken and I'm sorry that I offended anyone. I just don't like her attitude, the way she brags about cocaine and heroin use when so many lives have been destroyed over that sh*t. She was successful and lived to tell about it, which is wonderful but she was also good chums with Gia who did not.

Many young women will entirely miss that fact point however and if they listen to Janice, as many will, they also may abuse the drugs and live to laugh about it later with a lead role on a successful TV show? Sorry, drugs just "tick" me off and that is that.

I'm glad she's clean now but she should not be saying things like, drugs and sex were everywhere, it was the best thing I ever saw and talk about her cocaine and champagne diet, like it's something to be proud of. I don't find her humor funny and it makes me think, who the heck is she anyway, I've never heard of her before. I understand that although she wasn't a household name like some of the others, she was on top of her game and I can see why, looking at the old photos, what a babe she was.

Janice is a big celebrity with a very captive audience and she should be very careful about what she says. She is setting an example be it good or bad and there will always be people who want to be just like any celebrity. That is why when a famous face comes out with a new dress or hair cut, you start seeing copies everywhere, the same goes for there personal lives, people copy.

Last edited by Spring_Fever; 04-01-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dickinson, janice