How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-01-2005
tfs star

that's janice
she's hot. then & now.

also, have heidi klum or tyra banks EVER been on the cover of us vogue...??

id say...no??!!

ie janice is way more super than those 2 .

04-01-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady grey
she's hot. then & now.

also, have heidi klum or tyra banks EVER been on the cover of us vogue...??

id say...no??!!

ie janice is way more super than those 2 .
wow you really have a thing for her huh?

Last edited by Spring_Fever; 04-01-2005 at 09:58 PM.
04-01-2005
living in the sprawl

down with janice. I think she is just a mean spirited harlett...

04-01-2005
tfs star

jan is a role-model of sorts
she was one of the most successful models of 20th century. In the 70s, the disco era, the wildest time ever for models.

she still sells tonnes of books this century- as opposed to all the unemployed 40 & 50 & 60 year old ex models.

and she's a great mom to her kids.

many people in the fashion business [and out] LOVE her honesty & humour-
shes the only sensible voice on that fake, insane "top model" show.

04-01-2005
front row

I'm a Tiegs fan myself, she is stellar and hasn't even changed much. In my opinion Cheryl Tiegs is one of the best and biggest models of all time and most beautiful. I love the way she conducts herself as well, very classy lady.

04-01-2005
front row

What has she done to herself?!?! She makes me laugh really hard, but she also makes my cringe in horror now too. Too much plastic surgery. And the episode of ANTM where she teaches them how to pose in a swimsuit . Scary. She's beautiful in her older pictures, almost Asian looking in some of them. So pretty, what happened?

04-01-2005
front row

that woman lives on a completely different planet. and if i hear her claim to have invented the word supermodel one more time, i may feed her one of her own implants, silly twit.

04-01-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablutophobic
So pretty, what happened?
tens of thousands of dollars worth of drugs.

04-01-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablutophobic
What has she done to herself?!?! She makes me laugh really hard, but she also makes my cringe in horror now too. Too much plastic surgery. And the episode of ANTM where she teaches them how to pose in a swimsuit . Scary. She's beautiful in her older pictures, almost Asian looking in some of them. So pretty, what happened?
same thing that happened to Michael Jackson, too much time, money and a bad doctor. Sorry in advance Lady Grey, I know you love her.

04-01-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic
that woman lives on a completely different planet. and if i hear her claim to have invented the word supermodel one more time, i may feed her one of her own implants, silly twit.
Thank Goodness I'm not alone in my Janice opinion.

04-01-2005
front row

She used to look so pretty and innocent- like a totally different person, it's scary what drugs can do to you. I like the fact that she had a rather exotic and ethnic look when cookie-cutter beauty was the norm. She reminds me of Phoebe Cates but was more model-ly. She was also quite versatile in projecting a sweet innocence in some photos and looking like a total vamp in other photos. When I first saw a feature of her earlier photos in Vogue some years ago, I was quite intrigued.

Even though she comes across as mean on the show, she can be quite amusing. And her books are a fluffy but fun read with all those juicy details and name-dropping.

So she's pulling out the pin

- Elvis Costello

Last edited by Fawn; 04-01-2005 at 10:37 PM.
04-01-2005
Muse

Well someone has to tell those ANTM Girls the truth. I mean her comments aren't going to mean and nasty compared to what they will hear in the real fashion industry. That's why she was hired for the show, and I think she intends to keep her job.

Last edited by jadedomega; 04-01-2005 at 10:39 PM.
05-01-2005
Yes, please

Janice was major back in her day - even back in the Philippines, I heard of her. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cheryl Tiegs was an American phenomenon, someone who did well in America but never had the same success in Europe. Janice did both, but she was never in the popular American consciousness like Cheryl, just in the fashion circles, but on more shores and perhaps more high-fashion. This was back in the day when print models and runway models were separate categories entirely, unlike today.

Is she bitchy and can she be a loudmouth? You bet. But both she and the producers of America's Next Top Model know that, love her or hate her, you'll react to Janice, and remember her. Long after all the show's winners and losers have faded from public memory, you'll remember Janice's nasty commentary and over the top antics - she's doing it intentionally, to cause frisson, and make soundbites. She's not dumb - she knows what she's doing: she's making television. Which is why she's the only original judge left aside from Tyra. She makes the show interesting.

Personally, I love her. She says what my collegues and I have said and will say again when we have to review models for shows and print ads in our day jobs, but without any fear of public reprisal, because she can say she's definitely been there and done almost everything. Fashion is a tough industry, and she's telling it like it is.

Meanwhile, she may not be the actual First Supermodel, but she knows that if she says it enough, people who don't know any better will defer to her because - she's on tv! And apparently she was a total darling backstage as well to the contestants - Elyse Sewell from season one said that how Janice acted on camera was definitely playing TO the camera. Hell, what do you expect - she was a model! :p

Little fashion tidbit: when I worked for D.G. Williams mannequins, hers was the most popular face that was purchased for over a decade, I was told. At D.G. Williams, the practice was you could choose a head and choose any body, and Janice was used anwhere from juniors to couture. After the company was bought by La Rosa Italy, her face was re-christened 'Jura' (don't ask me why) and is still used to this day.

Last edited by baklanyc; 05-01-2005 at 12:53 AM.
05-01-2005
urd
tfs star

I don't think she is that hot, not even back then. I'd go for Jean Shrimpton, if I have to choose

05-01-2005
tfs star

late 70s- 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by baklanyc
Janice was major back in her day - even back in the Philippines, I heard of her. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cheryl Tiegs was an American phenomenon, someone who did well in America but never had the same success in Europe. Janice did both, but she was never in the popular American consciousness like Cheryl, just in the fashion circles, but on more shores and perhaps more high-fashion. This was back in the day when print models and runway models were separate categories entirely, unlike today.

Little fashion tidbit: when I worked for D.G. Williams mannequins, hers was the most popular face that was purchased for over a decade, I was told. At D.G. Williams, the practice was you could choose a head and choose any body, and Janice was used anwhere from juniors to couture. After the company was bought by La Rosa Italy, her face was re-christened 'Jura' (don't ask me why) and is still used to this day.
totally, janice was a global supermodel, she was in as many european vogues as she was in us vogue. cheryl tiegs was an american commercial model ALTHOUGH cheryl was around so long that she also did magazines from late 60s to early 70s as did brinkley- both american commercial models- whose greatest fame was sports illustrated bikinis. janice was a far more successful editorial model in STRICT high fashion- although both tiegs & brinkley were very famous magazine girls too.

anybody who knows late 70s/early 80s fashion knows what a superstar janice was. and her best-selling books mean shes still on top & active. what other past model is...? only elle macpherson, whose fame was 10 years AFTER janices.
janice is a supernova- still.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dickinson, janice