How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

18-06-2012
fashion icon

Is anyone else seeing the Pat Cleveland vibes in the US Vogue ed?

19-06-2012
rising star

A W cover by Meisel and an editorial in American Vogue by M&M that's girl in on fire.

19-06-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretonne View Post
A W cover by Meisel and an editorial in American Vogue by M&M that's girl in on fire.
oops I meant That girl is on fire:p

19-06-2012
V.I.P.

i love all of her latest 2 editorials

19-06-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Anyone who has seen Joan Smalls stalk the runway like a warrior goddess might not think that she ever needed any kind of encouragement—but what she did need was the chance to convince others. “When I first started,” Smalls says, “it never picked up for me, doing shows.” That changed when Riccardo Tisci booked her to walk the Givenchy Couture runway exclusively at the 2010 fall collections. “He saw my potential,” she says. “And it changed people’s perspective.”

She’s now so well known for that regal mien that it’s almost a surprise to discover just how playful she can be. After the shoot, when she’s leaving the set, *rocker-chic in a baseball jacket and Helmut Lang leather pants, Smalls rides down in the elevator with the assistants. Holding the door for them, she snaps her fingers, teasingly telling them to “C’mon, hurry, hurry, hurry!” before falling into a gale of giggles.

“People don’t expect me to have a girly voice when they see me walk like that. They might not think that I’m funny,” Smalls remarks. She pulls off the false eyelashes that were applied for the shoot and says, laughing, “I feel much better.” But with her tilted, seductive eyes, she looks as though she’s still wearing the fake lashes. Smalls, who grew up in the countryside of Puerto Rico, gets the “What is she?” question a lot. She takes out her iPhone to show the spectrum of skin shades in her family. (Her mother is a fair Puerto Rican; her father is black, from St. Thomas.) “I’m a little bit of everything,” she says. “Sometimes people think I’m not Puerto Rican, because my name doesn’t sound Spanish.”

But as if there were any doubt, the 23-year-old boricua proved her birthright on the shoot. “They put on Hector Lavoe, the famous Puerto Rican salsa singer, and I started dancing in my six-inch stilettos,” she explains. “They had me jumping, I was dropping it to the floor, I was whipping the jacket in the air. But you have to have coordination, to know where the camera is, to make sure you give a good angle, because sometimes you do weird faces when you dance”—she illustrates, biting her lips and scrunching up her nose—“and you have to realize you’re still working!”

For both Kloss and Smalls, making that kind of effort look perfectly effortless is all in a day’s work. “I just have something to prove,” Smalls says. “I know I’m representing a group—black, Latin, whatever you want to put me with—and I want to show that they are beautiful the way they are. I think that’s really important for our youth to see. Fashion is part of our culture,” she says. “And it’s about more than just a pretty dress.”
wmagazine.com

19-06-2012
tfs star

What a Latina stunner!! Lovely article.
I would really love to see a video of Joan showing off her Salsa moves one day.

I'm so proud of her achievements.

Last edited by fashionlover2001; 19-06-2012 at 04:46 PM.

20-06-2012
scenester

Joan for Givenchy
WWD Confirmed it today, that Joan smalls is in the new Givenchy Ads.

21-06-2012
fashion insider

Joan Smalls is on Style.com's Featured Photo Searches along with Karlie Kloss, Lindsey Wixson & Arizona Muse

21-06-2012
V.I.P.

yay!!! :p they dont change that often do they?

21-06-2012
tfs star

Joan Smalls FÜr Mbfw Berlin
Ph:Mario Testino

www.vogue.de

Quote:
Seit Wochen wird über das neue Kampagnen-Motiv der Mercedes-Benz-Fashion-Week gemutmaßt. Die Fotografen und Models der vergangenen Saisons, Namen wie Terry Richardson, Lara Stone, Jessica Stam, Nick Knight und Julia Stegner, gelten als großes Versprechen, dass auch die kommende Saison zwei außergewöhnlich exklusive Fashion-Week-Galionsfiguren hervorbringt.

Gestern Abend dann erreichte die Redaktionen die digitale Ausgabe des Mercedes-Benz-Fashion-Week-Magazins, welches das finale Motiv endlich preisgab. Das puerto-ricanische Supermodel Joan Smalls wurde von Mario Testino als Hightech-Amazone in Schwarz inszeniert. Ihr Partner: Ein noch halb in Laken gehüllter Mercedes-Benz CLS. Das Foto ist übrigens kein exklusives Berlin-Motiv, sondern das offizielle Gesicht aller Mercedes-Benz-Fashion-Weeks. Bei all der internationalen Glaubwürdigkeit kann sie also losgehen, die neue Saison Frühjahr/Sommer 2013. Den Startschuss gibt die deutsche Hauptstadt ab dem 4. Juli.

For weeks, speculation about the new campaign theme of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. The photographers and models in the past few seasons, names such as Terry Richardson, Lara Stone, Jessica Stam, Julia Stegner, and Nick Knight are considered great promise that the next season brings two exceptionally exclusive Fashion Week figureheads.

Yesterday evening we reached the editorial, the digital edition of the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week magazine, which finally surrendered the final motif. The Puerto Rican supermodel Joan Smalls was shot by Mario Testino as a high-amazon in black. Your Partner: A half cloaked in sheets Mercedes-Benz CLS. The photo is not an exclusive way, Berlin-motif, but the official face of all Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. With all the international credibility they can go, then, the new spring / summer of 2013. The launch is the German capital from the 4th July.

Last edited by fashionlover2001; 21-06-2012 at 06:08 PM.

21-06-2012
backstage pass

Major and so FIERCE!!!!

21-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
the official face of all Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week
thank GOD she is the face of ALL MB FW!
is this the major work she has done w Testino?

21-06-2012
Automated Thread Manager

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread Here

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, january, joan, june, smalls