How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

19-05-2011
rising star

20-05-2011
rising star

20-05-2011
V.I.P.

julia nobis is now represented by FORD MODELS NY

source: fordmodels.com/models

20-05-2011
rising star

Quote:
Backstage interview with Julia Nobis at Rosemount Australian Fashion Week, May 5, 2011

Harper’s BAZAAR: You’ve done a lot of campaigns this season. Which ones were your favourite, and who was the most enjoyable to work with?

Julia Nobis: “I did Proenza Schouler’s campaign for S/S 2011. I worked with photographer Willy Vanderperre on that and it was really great; I just love the Proenza boys. Both Jack [McCollough] and Lazaro [Hernandez] are amazing. We had wanted to get together anyway as friends so we could all hang out and then the idea of me modelling for the campaign developed from there. I love it when you’ve got a good relationship with either the designers or stylists that goes beyond a purely professional level. It makes me feel so much more comfortable to have that friendship when I’m working at shows and on shoots. Then [I feel] it’s OK if I make mistakes or do something clumsy.
I also did the Balenciaga campaign about three weeks ago and that was amazing.

HB: Who are your friends on the fashion circuit?

JN: “Here in Australia I hang out with Myf Shepherd, Lauren Brown and Ruby-Jean [Wilson]. I actually lived with Amanda Ware and Ruby in New York in a models’ apartment. Overseas, I’m good friends with Hanne Gaby [Odiele], Kasia Struss and Caroline Brasch Nielsen. Caroline is listed as my sister on Facebook, actually.”

HB: What draws you back to RAFW each year?

JN: “Well I live in Sydney, so that helps. When you work at home it’s totally different to overseas. It’s so much fun; you know everyone you’re working with already. It’s also very relaxed here in comparison to abroad, which is a bonus. Working in New York, London and Paris can be pretty stressful. I also wanted to come home so that I could see my friends and family too. I’ve got a baby brother; he’s 18 months old and I only get to see him a couple of times a year. It’s good to be back.”

HB: Who are you favourite designers?

JN: “Proenza Schouler, Balenciaga … I sound biased because I’ve done their campaigns. I love Alexander Wang too and Alex is a total sweetheart. Here in Australia, I love Ellery and Kate Sylvester. Kate’s entire crew are so good to work with. It’s the same with Zimmermann too.”

HB: What do you do to prepare for fashion week?

JN: “I try and get as much sleep as possible, just because I know I won’t get any for the next however long. That’s the main thing. I guess a little bit of exercise never hurts, I like walking quite a lot. I would really like get back into martial arts. I used to do judo when I was younger but at this stage I’ve dislocated my knee twice, once from judo and once from a skiing accident, so I had to take a break.”

HB: What’s your beauty routine throughout fashion week?

JN: “I never ever use makeup wipes. No matter how soft I’m told they may be, it’s not going to happen. I will use a proper makeup remover, typically Bioderma Crealine H20. I use whatever moisturiser I can get my hands on and practically bathe in it so that my skin is really moisturised. And I always have Lucas’ Papaw Ointment with me because it really saves my skin from becoming too damaged from all of the makeup.”

HB: What are your favourite cities?

JN: “New York, of course. I’m moving there in June. London too; it’s like a big Sydney but everyone has a British accent.”

HB: Do you have a favourite place in those cities?

JN: “McCarrens Park in Williamsburg [Brooklyn], New York. There’s this great tree there and I love to sit up in it. People are usually more confused by the fact that I’m not wearing shoes rather than that I’m up a tree. But I find it’s a good place to go and relax. Or else I would say a fair few of my friends’ couches. Here in Sydney I live in Dover Heights. I hang out a lot at some of the cafes around there and the places all along King Street in Newtown are so much fun.”

– Laura Garvey

harpersbazaar.com.au

----

omg she got Balenciaga campaign!

20-05-2011
fashion elite

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG YES GO JULIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20-05-2011
V.I.P.

Great for her! Go Julia

20-05-2011
fashion elite

21-05-2011
V.I.P.

ohmygod, such a wonderful news!! i am so excited, i can not even put it into words

21-05-2011
V.I.P.

she probably shouldn't have talked about her balenciaga campaign before it's out

21-05-2011
backstage pass

^ That's what I was thinking, it seems like an honest mistake, but anyway great news. Im really excited for it.

21-05-2011
trendsetter

Can't wait to see the Balenciaga -- she doesn't fit their image -- but I can't wait to see the styling because I'm sure they will make it work for her and them.

25-05-2011
V.I.P.

I disagree, I do think she fits Ghesquière's sophisticated urban rocker gal image for Balenciaga... and I'm looking forward to see how will Julia look on the campaign.

25-05-2011
V.I.P.

^ Indeed. I think Julia is one of the best choices and I say it not only because I like her but her look is exactly what Balenciaga needs.

25-05-2011
backstage pass

I also have to agree with hysteria and WilhelmF.Julia fits the balenciaga aesthetic just perfectly.I can't wait for the result!

25-05-2011
trendsetter

I can't wait either. In terms of her not fitting their image, I meant that they usually use someone with dark hair and more feminine, but she's definitely a rocker and I can't wait to see her in this.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, 2011, julia, june, nobis