How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

14-11-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian S View Post
I don't know the technical side of photography, lighting, bone structure and all that but I don't buy into that 'high fashion' or 'commercial' labels that are put on girls a lot nowadays. Don't you think if a girl is beautiful then she will look beautiful whether she's doing a campaign for Chanel or appearing on the SI cover? It is difficult to fathom that one can be absolutely beautiful for one type of job and an absolute failure for another but that seems to be a unique case in terms of Karlie while girls like Maryna, Toni are suitable for both types of 'environment' like you say
Actually, a lot of times this is how agencies and clients determine which girls are more suitable to start out in which direction. Some girls do really well with commercial lighting but so so with "edgier" lighting and then it's the opposite for other girls.

It's not really about "jobs" you see, in my last post I was talking about lighting. If you look at any big photographer's website or their management's website, you will see that a lot of times they divide their portfolio into "commercial" and "editorial/fashion." VS is a very commercial brand and showcase the products in a very commercial lighting. They shoot an entire series with different models but with the same lighting with a few adjustments. They don't change the set for different models depending on what she looks best in..
Greg Kadel shoots both VS and editorials for Numero but he uses a softer lighting for VS. Certain lighting can bring out more of a girl than another.

What I'm saying with Karlie is that a lot of her beauty and success has to do with her bone structure and expressiveness. It's very dramatic and edgier fashion lighting makes the best of it but a softer, commercial light doesn't do much for her.

I see the opposite with Toni actually. Her features and face are kind of soft and she doesn't have a range of expressions. Her commercial work is great but her fashion editorials aren't at the same level as girls like Karlie.
The opposite would be someone like Freja--look at her Maybelline photos.

14-11-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelabella View Post
well maryna and co. are virtual unknowns to the general public so therefore of course its gonna seem like no one hates on them. they have not got near as much hype or publicity that karlie has. the more success and publicity a girl gets the haters multiply. most seem to want to root for the under dog, which karlie clearly isnt. well imo a model/celeb hasnt even arrived yet if he/she has no haters. lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I know Karlie has more hype but she is an underdog herself compared to the likes of Adriana, Alessandra, Doutzen, Miranda, the established VS models and if you read the comments on last year's VS videos people seem to prefer them, the old school drop dead gorgeous girls. On the contrary they also seem to prefer girls like Maryna, Toni, Constance over Karlie. For example when Toni and Bregje were announced as angels everyone seemed to be reacting well but as soon as Karlie appears on a VS video they are all up in arms complaining about it.

14-11-2012
V.I.P.

I liked her new haircut but now I LOVE it. It is so her!

15-11-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian S View Post
I know Karlie has more hype but she is an underdog herself compared to the likes of Adriana, Alessandra, Doutzen, Miranda, the established VS models and if you read the comments on last year's VS videos people seem to prefer them, the old school drop dead gorgeous girls. On the contrary they also seem to prefer girls like Maryna, Toni, Constance over Karlie. For example when Toni and Bregje were announced as angels everyone seemed to be reacting well but as soon as Karlie appears on a VS video they are all up in arms complaining about it.
**EDITED** They feel the same way about Karlie doing VS the way many people over here felt about Kate Upton doing VI. On the bright side, Chanel and Lindsay received mostly positive comments.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Psylocke; 15-11-2012 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Weight talk - even veiled references - is not allowed.

15-11-2012
front row

LOVE her haircut. I hate it when amazing girls get amazing short haircuts because now I want the same and it never works out the same for me. But my gosh, she looks so cute with the hair and the glasses and the everything. People will debate about Karlie for the rest of her career but I think she is just perfect.

And she is just so tall, I think the glasses would have photographed a bit better on her face if she were shorter, but she could totally rock them in real life or if the photogs would stand on some stools.

15-11-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlueRider View Post
You know, I think part of it is just what they're "suitable" for and what type of environment is most flattering for their features.

Karlie is very expressive and dramatic in a fashion way. She also has a lot of great shadows and contours in her facial bone structure and body. That type of stuff looks amazing with high fashion lighting, styling and theme. You can get really experimental with the lighting and makeup with Karlie.

But VS shoots have a more commercial light. It's less about shadows and contours and more about the girl, the features, the softness. That tends to be why commercial girls have a softer/reflective bone structure and fuller features(emily didonato, candice swanepoel, miranda kerr etc) than high fashion girls. It suits the lighting but of course there are some exceptions.

You can see the difference in other videos and photos too like some of Karlie's lingerie pics for VS. Her bone structure is a little too strong for the lighting as opposed to someone with a softer face with fuller features like Candice...and you see the difference again with Candice's high fashion stuff compared to Karlie's high fashion stuff. Many consumers haven't been exposed to Meisel, David Sims etc so that might be why they don't "get" Karlie.
Agree about the studio/location lighting. Also, Karlie is less "girly girl" than most of the career VS Angels who seem to rarely appear in other campaigns/editorial pieces and such. Her look is more glamorous in an old skool, classic type way.

15-11-2012
backstage pass

I love her new hair, it looks so fresh!

15-11-2012
V.I.P.

VS

victoriassecret

16-11-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLondon View Post
Agree about the studio/location lighting. Also, Karlie is less "girly girl" than most of the career VS Angels who seem to rarely appear in other campaigns/editorial pieces and such. Her look is more glamorous in an old skool, classic type way.
Yes, she reminds me of the earliest fashion models from the 1920's and 30's. She looks like a fashion illustration.

16-11-2012
trendsetter

Times Square

Neiman Marcus' twitter

16-11-2012
V.I.P.

^ Perfect!!!!!

16-11-2012
V.I.P.

She looked great at the CFDA awards, chic outfit and the hair looks really good, starting to really like it.

16-11-2012
V.I.P.

I just saw Karlie's Juicy Couture ad on a side of bus. It was fantastic.

16-11-2012
backstage pass

nymag.com

16-11-2012
backstage pass

^
Quote:
t’s about 4 o’clock on a Thursday, and a caftan-bedecked Karlie Kloss is perched on the edge of a gigantic, fuming volcano crater, her bare legs and feet dangling into the hazy void.

“Make it look more adventurous,” calls out Ryan McGinley, the photographer snapping her from an equally precarious spot on a nearby outcropping of rock.

“It’s pretty damn adventurous,” Kloss yells back, and I have to agree. We’re in Nicaragua, at Masaya Volcano National Park, staring at Santiago, a crater nestled between the twin volcanic peaks of Masaya and Nindirí. Calling Santiago dramatic is like calling the Sahara dry. A landscape of serene pastel greenery gives way suddenly to a gaping abyss, walls lined with ribbons of red and brown rock, a steady plume of sulfurous gas issuing from its depths. The shrieking vultures that make their nests in the craggy cliffs dip and circle into the haze. It’s so devastatingly beautiful that the other visitors to the park at this late afternoon hour — a group of Asian tourists, a set of scrubs-wearing American doctors and a class of high schoolers from somewhere up North — seem utterly unconcerned with the devastating beauty posing recklessly for the camera.
nymag.com

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, 2013, karlie, kloss, march, november