How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

19-05-2011
trendsetter

Oh, my Wix.

After seeing her fall 345 times, I think I like her more.

Sooo cute.

20-05-2011
V.I.P.

Lindsey Wixson's Friends Are Way Bitchy

Quote:
In Lindsey Wixson's interview with Vogue UK the 17-year old model who recently took some falls on a catwalk chalked it up to dehydration, she's played musical chairs with Madonna, was basically discovered by Steven Meisel, calls herself a poet and a baker and comes off utterly lovely. Lindsey's friends, on the other hand, do not.

They were mean to Lindsey when she wanted to be a model:

I remember first mentioning to the girls I used to sit next to at lunch that I was looking for a model agent, and then the next week they came in with a list of things they didn't like about me. I felt skinny and tall - it was the worst time of my life. But I don't feel like that anymore. Modelling has really helped build my confidence."

Lindsey doesn't even want to tell them when she gets to do amazing
things:

"Prada flew my sister and I first class to Beijing for a show there. We went business class - it was so glamorous - we had our own pod and everything. The Pet Shop Boys performed after, it was amazing. I was afraid to tell my friends about it, in case they thought I was boasting. I get really scared of anyone thinking that. Maybe it has something to do with those girls from school."

And they're just plain jealous:

"They're really supportive, and a bit envious! When I get home I Facebook everyone and see what they're doing. I don't like talking about work.Fashion isn't all I do. Miuccia Prada said once that 'fashion shouldn't be your life', and she's always pretty understanding about things. You can be standing in heels for a casting or a shoot for ages, and she'll look at you and go 'Take those off, it's ok'."

Don't these chicks know that being friends with a supermodel can be kind of awesome?
stylecaster

20-05-2011
fashion elite

Lindsey Wixson Once Played Musical Chairs With Madonna
Quote:
Like many successful models, Lindsey Wixson has traumatizing memories of people telling her she was ugly before everyone thought she was gorgeous. Of course, she was tall and skinny in her middle-school years and has all the usual "I was so gawky and awkward!" stories, but her now-celebrated gap tooth was also an issue. She tells British Vogue:

I was actually always really self-conscious about my gap. In middle school, this group of girls were always trying to beat me up — they called my gap a parking lot. It was a really awkward time. I remember first mentioning to the girls I used to sit next to at lunch that I was looking for a model agent, and then the next week they came in with a list of things they didn't like about me. I felt skinny and tall — it was the worst time of my life. But I don't feel like that anymore. Modelling has really helped build my confidence.

Because nothing makes you feel cool like when Madonna has to wait for you to finish work, and then winds up playing musical chairs with you.

When I was shooting the Miu Miu campaign, Madonna turned up. She was supposed to be having dinner with the photographers Mert and Marcus, but they were busy shooting us, so she just had to wait. We started making the accompanying video and then Madonna stood up and said to us 'I want to see if you girls can dance'. So we started playing Musical Chairs, with her counting the beats. She said, 'It doesn't matter if you're out of time, just stay in character'. It was a brief meeting but pretty special.

In fact, her life is so glamorous and amazing now that she's sometimes scared to tell her friends back home in Kansas.

Prada flew my sister and I first class to Beijing for a show there. We went business class — it was so glamorous — we had our own pod and everything. The Pet Shop Boys performed after, it was amazing. I was afraid to tell my friends about it, in case they thought I was boasting. I get really scared of anyone thinking that. Maybe it has something to do with those girls from school.

Since she rolled up to prom with a CNN film crew this spring, she's probably safe from bullies these days.
nymag

20-05-2011
front row

aww i love her

20-05-2011
fashion elite

Southern Belle
Quote:
LINDSEY WIXSON, the modelling world's biggest rising star, spoke to us exclusively about how she became the face of McQueen, having dance lessons from Madonna - and why her now famous gap-toothed smile wasn't always so positive. Since the start of her career two years ago, the Kansas-born 17-year-old has worked for fashion's biggest names, from McQueen and Miu Miu to Dior, Chanel and Prada.

Did you always want to model? When did you first realise that it was the career for you?

"I was approached quite a few times when I was young, and that's when I first started researching it as a possible career. I remember studying old copies of Vogue and looking at how the big models like Gisele, Christy and Kate had got to where they had. I looked at their careers as a whole and what they all ended up doing now. I broke it down, and tried to work out the route they had each taken, and then tried to see how I could do the same. You can't just come from Kansas, go into fashion and be all naive. The fashion world is very different to where I'm from. I love being at home but I like learning and doing things on my own."

How were you scouted?
"I first signed with a local agent in Kansas, but it would be that sort of situation where I'd email them and they'd get back to me three months later. So my Mum and I drove down to Los Angeles, which my parents had to take out a loan for - it was so expensive, and we shot a film with Vision LA - another model agency. Somehow Steven Meisel ended up seeing it and he then booked me for Vogue Italia - that was my first job. I remember it all so clearly, we were staying in this really run down hotel - there were actually bugs, and I got a phone call really early from Steven's people. I ran to the laundry room and just screamed."

You're known for your gorgeous lips and gap-toothed smile, are these features you've always been aware of?
"I was actually always really self-conscious about my gap. In middle school, this group of girls were always trying to beat me up - they called my gap a parking lot. It was a really awkward time. I remember first mentioning to the girls I used to sit next to at lunch that I was looking for a model agent, and then the next week they came in with a list of things they didn't like about me. I felt skinny and tall - it was the worst time of my life. But I don't feel like that anymore. Modelling has really helped build my confidence."

What do you like best about your appearance?
"I like my eyes - they're quite versatile. Make-up artists like my face because they can put make-up on it too, I like it for the same reason. I guess having lips is good too. I feel comfortable in my own skin."

You're McQueen's current campaign face. How did that come about?
"It was a total surprise. I was standing backstage at a McQueen show and someone took my picture. I then looked on MODELS.COM soon later and it was up there as the McQueen campaign shot! I hadn't known at all, I nearly cried! I was so honoured. That [spring/summer 2011] show was really emotional. I cried at the end."

Which shows have you most enjoyed doing and why?
"Prada flew my sister and I first class to Beijing for a show there. We went business class - it was so glamorous - we had our own pod and everything. The Pet Shop Boys performed after, it was amazing. I was afraid to tell my friends about it, in case they thought I was boasting. I get really scared of anyone thinking that. Maybe it has something to do with those girls from school."

You model for so many different brands, from McQueen to de la Renta. Do you have to get into different characters for each show?

"If you're a model you're paid to be a muse. McQueen, for example, is all about powerful women. The designer chooses you to be a face because you project a feeling or an idea of a person. You create an idea, rather than a new character."

What has been the most memorable part of your career so far?
"When I was shooting the Miu Miu campaign, Madonna turned up. She was supposed to be having dinner with the photographers Mert and Marcus, but they were busy shooting us, so she just had to wait. We started making the accompanying video and then Madonna stood up and said to us 'I want to see if you girls can dance'. So we started playing Musical Chairs, with her counting the beats. She said, 'It doesn't matter if you're out of time, just stay in character'. It was a brief meeting but pretty special."

Do you still get pre-show nerves?
"Being nervous is a waste of time. I walked down over 70 catwalks so, unless I'm worried about an outfit malfunction, I'm pretty confident. It's part of the job description."

How would you describe your style? Which labels are you a fan of?
"I'm really inspired by Kate Moss, she doesn't try to hard with accessories. A little goes a long way. I dress myself, not to impress, but for comfort and for style. I really like Rag & Bone, they do great jeans and think about their fabrics in terms of lifestyle. I'm really into the little details."

What do you do when you're not at school or at work? What do you do for fun?

"I actually like baking. I made my sister's birthday cake. My favourite is to make cookies and, so far, I've never made any that are inedible! I like making cookies in particular because they really brighten people's days. My sister calls me a little housewife. I'm always trying to look after my mum and feed her vitamins."

What do your friends think of what you do?
"They're really supportive, and a bit envious! When I get home I Facebook everyone and see what they're doing. I don't like talking about work. Fashion isn't all I do. Miuccia Prada said once that 'fashion shouldn't be your life', and she's always pretty understanding about things. You can be standing in heels for a casting or a shoot for ages, and she'll look at you and go 'Take those off, it's ok'."

What would be your dream modelling job?

"I was optioned to do a Tim Walker shoot in Namibia - that would be so good. I love working with him, his shoots have such an artistic style. I really respect him."

If you were asked, would you like to do a Vogue cover?

"I would love to do a Vogue cover. It would be an honour."

You had a few tumbles on Naomi's Fashion For Relief catwalk earlier this week - what happened?

"I'm over it all already. It was a mixture of the dress being too long and me walking too fast. I think I hadn't had enough water, I was maybe a bit dehydrated."

Do you foresee yourself doing modelling long term?

"Actually I'd like to progress in singing. I'm not a poet though and I find it hard to write. I would need a push to help me get the emotions out. I'm reading a lot at the moment to help me to write more like I speak. I love singing, it lifts my spirit."

Lindsey is currently represented by Storm London.
vogue.co.uk

20-05-2011
fashion elite

I think what I just posted is finally the full interview, haha.

21-05-2011
V.I.P.

She´s so cute. I´ already waiting for her next runway shows.

25-05-2011
fashion elite

Lindsey Wixson: Yee-haw
Quote:
"Spaghetti Western" (Select images)
Vogue Nippon // June 2011
Ph. Terry Richardson // Stylist: George Cortina
Terry and Lindsey's latest collaboration is quite a literal take on a classic cinema style. Photographed in Rome, Lindsey is the young explorer of diverse locales who eventually lands in the haven of cuisine - isn't that the story of every good vacation? Literal, yes, but also tongue-in-cheek (Or spaghetti-in-mouth, whatever).

marilynnewyork.blogspot.com

25-05-2011
fashion insider

The last picture is so ....
and I really like the one where the Trevi Fountain is the background.

25-05-2011
Alluring

How stunning does the lipstick look one her, really?

Adore the last pic, beyond cute!

25-05-2011
V.I.P.

This is such a nice ed, the last pic is epic :p
Terry & Lindsey make a great duet.

25-05-2011
V.I.P.

the last pic is way too much fun

25-05-2011
V.I.P.

Great editorial! I like it so much!

25-05-2011
nonchalant

There's something about Lindsey in this editorial that is so comical, maybe because of the Western-flavoured outfits...

Oh but I love it

25-05-2011
trendsetter

I really like Wixie! Her personality shine through her candids, editorials & interviews. She's way cute.

But her look is not everyone's cup of tea.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2011, lindsey, november, september, wixson