How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

07-03-2010
scenester

Liya attending the Hedge Funds Care 12th Annual 'Open Your Heart to the Children' benefit gala at Cipriani in New York
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 97439393.jpg (27.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 97439240.jpg (38.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 97439273.jpg (28.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 97439368.jpg (24.5 KB, 3 views)
Attached Files
File Type: attend the Hedge Funds Care 12th Annual 'Open Your Heart to the Children' benefit gala at Cipriani i (32.5 KB, 1 views)

07-03-2010
scenester

On interview in Paris for "Desert flower"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 97438142.jpg (26.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 97438525.jpg (48.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 97456381.jpg (27.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 97456395.jpg (32.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 97438464.jpg (51.4 KB, 4 views)

07-03-2010
trendsetter

Fleur du Desert" - Paris Premiere

(L-R) Roch Lener, Waris Dirie, Liya Kebede, Francois-Henri Pinault, Sherry Hormann and Peter Hermann attend the 'Fleur du Desert' Paris premiere at Theatre Marigny on March 7, 2010 in Paris, France.

gettyimages

07-03-2010
V.I.P.

So happy to see her at Balenciaga!

07-03-2010
V.I.P.

Wow Looking absolutely amazing at the premiere, impeccable style as always! And it was so great to see her walking again for Balenciaga..she looked utterly flawless, just so beautiful

07-03-2010
Alluring

Her look at the premiere is just beyond gorgeous. It's all so perfect: the Lanvin jumpsuit, hair & make-up... literally divine.

11-03-2010
boop

Wonderful article on Liya in WWD today

Quote:
Liya Kebede's Starring Role

by Joelle Diderich

Posted Thursday March 11, 2010

From WWD Issue 03/11/2010

Liya Kebede has become an expert in Somalian regional dialects.

During filming on her new movie, “Desert Flower,” which opened Wednesday in France, the Ethiopian actress and model spent hours working with coaches on her lines, but quickly discovered each area had a different take on the language.

“Depending on which city we were in, we had different people coaching me and every time there was a different person, they were telling me different things,” she recounts. “In the end, I was so confused!”

No matter: to foreign ears, Kebede comes across as utterly credible in the role of Waris Dirie, the goatherd from Somalia who rose to fame as an international model and activist in the fight against female genital mutilation.

The movie, an adaptation of Dirie’s autobiography, is directed by Sherry Hormann and co-stars British actors Timothy Spall and Juliet Stevenson. It is Kebede’s first leading role, following small parts in “Lord of War” and “The Good Shepherd.”

“When I found out that I had the role, I felt excitement mixed with ‘Oh my God, what am I going to do?’” Kebede recounts between nibbles on a macaroon in a Paris hotel suite. But she rapidly settled into the part. “It was intimate and we all really connected, especially around a story like this, that was so precious to all of us.”

Kebede only met Dirie on the last day of shooting. “Even though there is this huge responsibility when you’re playing someone who’s alive, it was nice of her to give us the freedom to interpret the story,” she says.

From neighboring countries, the two women share similar cultures, although female circumcision was something Kebede had only heard about. “I grew up in the city, so it’s something that I knew happened, but I guess it never really touched me that much,” she confesses.

Female genital mutilation is only one of the issues that she tackles as World Health Organization (WHO) goodwill ambassador for maternal, newborn and child health. “Maternal mortality is really second only to HIV as a killer of women in Third World countries, which I don’t think anybody knows,” she says. “Women who are circumcised actually also have a higher risk of death in childbirth.”

Kebede campaigns for health care through her own foundation, while the film is being supported by PPR’s Foundation for Women’s Dignity and Rights, which hosted a screening of the movie during Paris Fashion Week to raise money for charity projects in Mali. Kebede is working on a number of new film projects, and says she was even ready to learn another foreign language, if required.

“I would love to spend six months learning martial arts, flying through the sky — in Chinese!” she says with a laugh.

Image Credit | WWD

13-03-2010
French Chic

Unbelievable in the pics with Waris.....2 beaututiful women
Stunning also with almost nude make-up at Balenciaga.

The Last Silhouette
Photo: Mario Sorrenti
Vogue Italia Mar 2010
Fashion Editor: George Cortina

Scanned by Diciassette (17)

13-03-2010
fashion elite

I just saw her in Desert Flower. She was the redeming feature of the movie and it's clear that she has a legit future as an actress.

13-03-2010
trendsetter

She looks great in the voge italia pictures for march.

13-03-2010
V.I.P.

amazing for VI. simply beautiful

13-03-2010
fashion elite

I want to see her film! someday,someday!

13-03-2010
V.I.P.

That Vogue Italia ed is absolutely stunning The last 5 shots are especially breathtaking! Just wow Also, I am glad to hear positive things about her acting and that she's seriously considering it as a future career. Of course, I can't wait to see the movie

13-03-2010
clo
V.I.P.

I'm really happy that Liya has acting potential. Most models turned actresses are terrible but it's great to find out that she can actually act.

14-03-2010
backstage pass

The New York Times T Magazine Spring 2010
"Jumble Fever"
Photographed by Paolo Roversi
Models: Karlie Kloss, Liya Kebede, Heidi Mount, Coco Rocha

issu.com

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2014, kebede, liya, march