How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

27-09-2005

there's something good about being on the outer edges, specially in magazines, since the middle of the pictures isnt show accurately most of the time, but i know what you guys are saying... i've also noticed that most of the times she is in an ed, the best outfits always go to alien karen or darling gemma...

27-09-2005
front row

I remember one escada ad when she was more in the middle but for the most I do believe she was always at the edge/end... it sucks really. And I do remember one recent Estee campaign/ad where it was just her... but for the most part when Liya's showcased it's with Carolyn and of coure with CM being the focus.

Yes I guess there's not much one can do about it... just wanted to see if others felt the same away.

27-09-2005
Day
fashion elite

In a picture like that, you would think they would put Liya in the middle, because she is the only black girl, and it would make the photo look more...evened out, or symmetrical, I guess? I don't know. I hope I don't sound racist or anything, I just think it would equal out the picture.

I'm not very good at explaing myself. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

(I know you shouldn't really arrange people like that, or anything, but if you are thinking more as like photography/art, it would make sense.)

Last edited by Day; 27-09-2005 at 09:13 PM.

27-09-2005
fashion insider

She generally seems to me to be the focal point because she's the most beautiful.

The only time I think she's given equal treatment is in pictures with Natalia V, who she seems to LOVE taking pics with. They have tons.

Here are more things from bwgreyscale.com to show of an example to those that haven't noticed:

27-09-2005
V.I.P.

oh man the tommy ad is the worst offender! i remember when i saw that...i TRIED not to think it was racially based on some level...but i was so annoyed

its still messed up no matter what the reason for putting her off to the side like that

also, i think it happens less in editorials and more in advertisements with her.

MONAJ.NET IS BACK: updated May 19
twitter.com/beyondrecovery

Last edited by OriginalSin; 27-09-2005 at 09:45 PM.

27-09-2005
trendsetter

^ Yeah she might as well have not even been in the tommy picture. It's almost ridiculously biased. The other three aren't bad at all tho

27-09-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
also, i think it happens less in editorials and more in advertisements with her.
Yeah, I think it is racially motivated. They want the best of both worlds: to have a Black model so as to appear modern and commercially appeal to a specific audience, and on the other hand, to use Liya as the token Black model in ads, where she must be shoved to the sides or "balanced out" by other white models.

Extremely annoying!

And I'm not saying she should never be along the sides. I think more fairness should be exercised. If she's on the sides in some ads, make her the center of others. The same in eds. She can sell clothes and products just as well as any other model, regardless of race.

28-09-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepia
Yeah, I think it is racially motivated. They want the best of both worlds: to have a Black model so as to appear modern and commercially appeal to a specific audience, and on the other hand, to use Liya as the token Black model in ads, where she must be shoved to the sides or "balanced out" by other white models.

Extremely annoying!

And I'm not saying she should never be along the sides. I think more fairness should be exercised. If she's on the sides in some ads, make her the center of others. The same in eds. She can sell clothes and products just as well as any other model, regardless of race.
DITTO!

28-09-2005
scenester

on a lighter note...

All pics are from fristview.com

Last edited by ntrlytanned doll; 28-09-2005 at 04:08 PM.

28-09-2005
silent sigh

She is so beautiful..every time I see her, I just think to myself... wow!

28-09-2005
trendsetter

although i'm a little biased because liya's my favourite model, every time i go by an estee lauder counter i get slighty annoyed because i think liya is a 1000x more interesting /better of a model n yet she doesn't get as much exposure. nothing to do w/the other debate, this is just my rant. i think carolyn murphy is boring and has the same expression in every photo (weird ashley olsen lips thing going on).

29-09-2005
scenester

all pics from fristview.com

29-09-2005

you always manage to find her best face pics!!

29-09-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by toohipforbrooklyn
you always manage to find her best face pics!!
Thank You! I'll try and post more later.

29-09-2005
V.I.P.

^ Thanks for the gorgeous pics ntrlytanned doll

Rochas SS05

Dior SS03

firstview.com

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2003, 2010, kebede, liya, march, november