How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

11-05-2011
V.I.P.

HQ Cover, Vogue Nippon June 2011 by Inez and Vinoodh

*scan by vogue28

11-05-2011
V.I.P.

Linda with Naomi, Carla and Nadja

bellazon

11-05-2011
V.I.P.

Photographer: Joan Alsina

joanalsina.com

12-05-2011
hors concours♛

Exclusive models.com Interview w/ Naomi by Francesca Sorrenti

Naomi Campbell, the notorious and inimitable icon, does not easily grant interviews. So who better to handle the task than an industry figurehead who has known Naomi since her beginnings. Francesca Sorrenti a renowned fashion photographer in her own time and head of a family of talented photographers has a deep and very personal understanding of fashion and the period that formed one of the most famous supermodels of our times. Francesca sat down with Naomi for models.com to talk about her love of fashion, her current projects and her advice to new talent.

Quote:
We hear about Ms. Campbell in fashion mags and tabloids, we know who she’s dating, where she’s partying, but how much do we really know about the icon herself?

I met Naomi through Kate Moss and my son Mario (when Kate and Mario were dating) and my first thought was “Here is a woman who exudes glamour from head to toe”. The word girl just didn’t seem to fit with her persona even though she was just a girl back then. Naomi was always glamorous even at home in jeans and a tee shirt. It wasn’t in her mannerisms, it was just her.
…my first thought was “Here is a woman who exudes glamour from head to toe”. The word girl just didn’t seem to fit with her persona even though she was just a girl back then. Naomi was always glamorous even at home in jeans and a tee shirt. It wasn’t in her mannerisms, it was just her.

That season I went to shows in Paris, NY, and Milan and each time Naomi walked out all eyes would look on in amazement and the room would start to buzz. I could almost swear that at the Versace show in Paris I could hear a collective gasp. The buzz didn’t end there, no matter where she went every head would turn. To this day, Naomi still commands the attention of the industry and the world at large. In a business where girls come and go, she has indeed stood the test of time. These simple questions, asked over a cup of tea, give insight into the woman behind the legendary career and the dynamic personality that still captivates fashion.

Growing up have you always loved Fashion?
I think so, you know growing up in London you got to see so much happening all the time, Rifat, Body Map, there were so any others all around me.

How do you view the Internet and fashion?
Well that’s how the world is today, isn’t it? It’s a great tool for corporations and sales. People get to read what’s going on in the world of fashion and give their opinions right then and there.

Do you have any aspirations in fashion going forward?
One day I would like to display all that I have collected through my career, like a time capsule up for the viewing. It will speak for itself.

Didn’t you do a special edition for Russian Vogue last year?
Yes! It was my 25th Anniversary in the business and I worked with the Editor in chief of RV on that issue. I worked with Steven Meisel, Solve Sundsbo, with Russian photographer, Danil Golovkin, Matt Owen. We really had so much fun putting it together.

Who is your favorite designer?
Now that’s a very difficult question to answer, I’ve grown with so many people, Marc Jacobs, John Galliano, Azzedine, Karl, there’s Gianni Versace, Ozbek, Dolce & Gabbana, and I love so many of the young new designers. This again is a very difficult question to answer. So many of them have been so supportive of me and my growing and great to me in my career, I have also created so many great personal relationships with any them.

Favorite photographers?
This is another hard question, there’s again so many I have worked with that have been there for me from day one since I came to New York. I love how each and every one of them has depicted me differently; it’s a different side of your persona that they have captured. I like when I don’t look like myself.

You are involved in many charities, what’s your latest endeavor?
Franca Sozzani, editor in chief of Vogue Italia and I will be sponsoring Fashion for Relief Japan Appeal 2011 on May 16th at the Cannes Festival.

Do you have any advice for the young “new faces” in the business?
Try to stay true to yourself and stick to your roots and your friends that you have come into the business with you and who have stayed true to you. Try to stay focused on your goals and not be deterred from them.

The Met Ball, how was it?
It was fun, in the beginning it was a bit sad but than I thought Lee would be very proud. I felt it was a definite celebration of him.

What is your favorite perfume?
As you know I have my own fragrance for the past 12 years, and I love Molecules.

What do you most dislike about yourself?
My feet.

Who is the person you most admire in the world?
Nelson Mandela.

What is your biggest regret?
I haven’t got any. I think that everyone needs to take their path in life.

What personal possession do you most value?
Crystals.

Your favorite color?
Purple.

What is your biggest fear?
Roller coasters, jet skis.

If you could change the world?
I would free the world of AIDS and cancer.
models.com

12-05-2011
backstage pass

Thnxs michelabella for posting this interview, its very informative.
Although I'm a Naomi DIE HARD fan there was at least one question I havent heard her answer before... lol

12-05-2011
V.I.P.

According to eyeshiner's post in campaigns' thread, Naomi will be in Givenchy F/W 11.12 Ad Campaign, shot by Mert & Marcus.

And all I have to say is that I can't wait to see the result.

12-05-2011
hors concours♛

amazing news!

12-05-2011
V.I.P.

GIVENCHY??!!! Yay!!!!!!!
This will be her year!!!!!

12-05-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junee View Post
^ ok he had to feel like the coolest, baddest man attending the MET with Iman and Naomi on your side...I was watching the red carpets on TV and the dress Naomi has on is breathtaking when seeing it move...And her makeup was so vivid and ON POINT! I initially disliked the hair but now I LOVE it...It compliments her look. The Chiffon strips on the skirt of the gown would catch a lil air and billow in the wind as she walked..It was just magical...
Definitely! Vlad was the coolest man there! Had Naomi been looking up in the photo it would've been a movie poster.

12-05-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelo View Post
I think the dress needed to be digested first before people really got it. After looking at it and kinda dissecting the look i think it is amazing and very McQueen... on another note, Please Please Please Naomi, May I Please Please Please borrow Vlad for one night???!!! That's all I need with him. I beg of you!!!
................! Wait in line Modelo,wait in line(I got next)! You know Vlad's a bad m-fer b/c he's got Naomi and Naomi's got him...he may be her longest relationship!

Last edited by OMIFAN9; 12-05-2011 at 05:35 PM.

12-05-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Thnxs Omifan for the Naomi Runway timeline its aweosme to see her progression and how she matured over the years. It woul dbe a delight to actually see Video footage that chronicles all the shows she's done over the years in one video.

I love the pic of Naomi and Gisele together. They obviously are really good friends bc I've noticed a few shots of them having fun togther.

Dior Couture SS07 they pratically had a full on girlfriend gossip session while posing together during the show. VS Show 2003 afterparty they were in the DJ booth together selecting records like two college co-eds lol. During the VS show 2005 they were in such a heavy convo backstage they kept laughing and dancing with eachother and taking multiple backstage shots with eachother and they always talk highly of eachother in interviews when asked Naomi has even said Gisele is the LAST REAL SUPERMODEL after her there arent anymore.
Naomi and Gisele are cool but thats not surprising to me! Both know what they have(and thats skill) and they play their positions! Thats very important in this business. What Naomi said about Gisele is true but at the same time she knows that as famous as Gisele is...she hasn't reached the fame that Naomi and her era of models had. People ask Naomi and women of her era about Gisele like they want them to say its the same(level) or they want to start stuff IDK. I guess its hard for some to put it into true perspective since Gisele still hasn't gotten anyone to come close to her since she's been on the scene...it was/is just too easy for her to dominate,if the older girls were totally out(this includes Kate) she would probably have everything of value as far as work,jokes!
Photo Credits:Soulstyle Forum

Last edited by OMIFAN9; 12-05-2011 at 05:55 PM.

12-05-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmedPrincess View Post
Naomi is gorgeous, you can see her beauty in the vogue italia editorial especially in the fifth picture
I couldn't agree more....and its still a thrill to see her whether its 1990 or 2011! Photo Credits:Soulstyle

12-05-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by versustito View Post
Linda with Naomi, Carla and Nadja

bellazon
Very cool,haven't seen this before but it screams 1995!

12-05-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Thnxs michelabella for posting this interview, its very informative.
Although I'm a Naomi DIE HARD fan there was at least one question I havent heard her answer before... lol
Did the roller-coaster answer did it for you? I personally didn't know that or about the color purple(I've read interviews when she said she liked most colors but never wears brown). Its nice to know she and I have those things in common,jokes!

12-05-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsha View Post
According to eyeshiner's post in campaigns' thread, Naomi will be in Givenchy F/W 11.12 Ad Campaign, shot by Mert & Marcus.

And all I have to say is that I can't wait to see the result.
Thats so awesome I hope it happens. I'm still go over the moon when I see her in the Dolce & Gabbana ads! Plus,I'm trying to back track(maybe I'm more tired than I thought) but I dont think she's had a campaign with them!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2013, april, campbell, naomi, november