How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

25-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mea Culpa View Post
I think the Numero editorial was in poor taste...

and "like Cara" ?!?!?! ... surely you jest!
Like Coco. Like Vlada. Like Sasha. Like Poly. Like MCB. NOT like Cara... roflmao!
Most definitely NOT like cara, please!

25-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Stylin View Post
I dont know about the Jezebel controversy, because even the looks portrayed are not really black African but more of 1970s North African inspired who are more caucasian than dark. Sometimes we just overplay matters
So cast a model that fits that type... don't bronze the hell out of the whitest of white girls... it just doesn't make sense...

25-02-2013
V.I.P.

me too, I'm not a fan of what the Numero team did on her! Maybe she could be an English Queen but no no for African Queen!! there's Ajak,Atui,Nykhor,Grace Bol,Fatima and others who are perfect for the ed! Racist :/

25-02-2013
V.I.P.

Yeah that ed is sooo bad sooo many ways. Aesthetically, I can't not focus on the clothes 'cause she looks extremely odd since she doesn't have any native African features at all, so that thing they put on her skin just looks like a disease; and conceptually, the whole thing is just completely racist. Not even Ondria's great modeling skills make it work.

25-02-2013
tfs star

the ed isn't her fault really at all... but it is SO DEEPLY OFFENSIVE on SO MANY LEVELS... I wish her parents/agency had stepped in to say NO NO NO! it's maybe worse than Karlie in the Native American headdress at VSFS.

26-02-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaars View Post
Most definitely NOT like cara, please!
I honestly don't see anything wrong,comparing her to Cara, they 're both very young and successfull, Cara is literally everywhere these days, so many campaigns and editorial and she 's making a LOT of money. Where do you see somethiing bad in this?

26-02-2013
scenester

Honestly, I’m really tired of this argument. For me, blackface is only offensive when the person in it is fostering some ridiculous stereotype. Historically, that’s what blackface has been about. Just because someone paints their face brown doesn’t mean there was racist intent. When they start to use blackface as a platform to demoralize and humiliate Black people, then it becomes an issu and also many white models have played black roles many times before E.g Paris Vogue, Making Lara Stone black in an October 2009 editorial , V Magazine painted Sasha Pivavarova black in their #62 Winter 2009/2010 issue (shot by Mario Sorrenti.) , Constance Jablonski wearing bronzer and an Afro, and posing with a black baby etc. Ondria is 100% safe and nothing well happen to her.

26-02-2013
V.I.P.

Moschino F/W13

Jil Sander F/W13

Dsquared2 F/W13, Fendi F/W13

eastnes.ru

26-02-2013
V.I.P.

Dolce & Gabbana F/W13, Bottega Veneta F/W13

eastnews.ru

26-02-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Honestly, I’m really tired of this argument. For me, blackface is only offensive when the person in it is fostering some ridiculous stereotype. Historically, that’s what blackface has been about. Just because someone paints their face brown doesn’t mean there was racist intent. When they start to use blackface as a platform to demoralize and humiliate Black people, then it becomes an issu and also many white models have played black roles many times before E.g Paris Vogue, Making Lara Stone black in an October 2009 editorial , V Magazine painted Sasha Pivavarova black in their #62 Winter 2009/2010 issue (shot by Mario Sorrenti.) , Constance Jablonski wearing bronzer and an Afro, and posing with a black baby etc. Ondria is 100% safe and nothing well happen to her.
Well that's great for you that you're not offended, but if you can't understand why all of the beautiful black models and aspiring black models out there would be offended by an editorial titled "African Queen" featuring a white teenager painted brown, then you're either incredibly dense or have some sort of malfunctioning empathy gene.

Before I saw the title of the editorial, I thought she was supposed to be some sort of robot or bronze statue.

26-02-2013
V.I.P.

I agree with everything Mahon said, but we are also forgetting another important point, not only black people live in Africa, there's also an important white population in that continent, so it could have been great if they would have hired a white model like... Candice for example, or Katryn, who are actually from South Africa and I'm sure would have make more sense in the photoshoot since it's actually about some part of their culture, for instance, they know better. Now, of course, as we all know, there's an obvious white supremacy in the industry, so this ed would have been a perfect opportunity to hire a NATURAL black model and promote diversity... so hiring a teenage American white girl and painting her "black" just makes it doubly racist since it's not only discriminating black people, but also white Africans.

And of course Ondria is 100% safe... it's not her fault at all. Well, maybe if some important clients like to avoid working with models who have been involved in more than one controversy, then it could affect her somehow... but I hope that won't be the case.

Last edited by Legolas; 26-02-2013 at 08:28 PM.

27-02-2013
tfs star

i don't see the numore eds as offensive, i'm asian and people put make up on jim sturgess and james d'arcy to look like asian in cloud atlas, people cast chinese actress as japanese in memoirs of a geisha, people cast an englishman as american in batman, so what?
if this ed is offensive and people's feedback is they should hire a black why don't we all say the same with andrej pejic's eds when they dress him as female?

27-02-2013
V.I.P.

Andrej is practically a girl, androgeny on legs, he's famous because of that, and the eds where he is dressed like a woman are focused on that, from the title to the result, so they end up delivering something coherent... now this ed is called African Queen, first of all, Ondria is not even African! and then, why painting her skin trying to make her look like a black girl if she is everything you want BUT black? it's so stupid! Actually, my biggest complaint of this African Queen ed, is not that the girl that they chose is naturally white, 'cause there are also white African natives all around the world; my problem with it is that if they are promoting African culture, why not hiring an African model? there are plenty of them to choose from, regardless of their skin color, all of them are good enough to represent their culture: Candice, Liya, Katryn, Behati, Ajak, Alek, Herieth, Ataui, etc... To hire a girl from another culture and hide her natural skin color to try to emulate another girl's race, a girl who didn't get opportunity to represent her own culture (or maybe was not even in the options!) just makes the whole thing doubly discriminatory.

Last edited by Legolas; 27-02-2013 at 01:28 AM.

27-02-2013
V.I.P.

Sorry if repost...

Hogan AW13 MASTER 1980 3

LOVE magazine's Vimeo

27-02-2013
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahon View Post
Well that's great for you that you're not offended, but if you can't understand why all of the beautiful black models and aspiring black models out there would be offended by an editorial titled "African Queen" featuring a white teenager painted brown, then you're either incredibly dense or have some sort of malfunctioning empathy gene.

Before I saw the title of the editorial, I thought she was supposed to be some sort of robot or bronze statue.
Ok but does that mean they should have also picked someone who's a "queen" so they don't offend all the the beautiful black queen's and aspiring black queen's out there?

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2014, august, hardin, ondria