How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

27-02-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveu88 View Post
I wish her parents/agency had stepped in to say NO NO NO!
I don't know how the booking went, but agents often don't know what the shoot is gonna be about. And the girl doesn't know when she goes there. I also suppose that agents don't ask any previous explanations with such clients. And, in case the model realizes she's asked to do something unacceptable (which I doubt you can do when you're 16), refusing to do it (whatever it is) is always quite a big issue.
The only ones who can be blamed for it is the team that made the story and the magazine editors who agreed to publish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Honestly, I’m really tired of this argument. For me, blackface is only offensive when the person in it is fostering some ridiculous stereotype.
Hm, I'd say the editorial is obviously not stereotype-free. Not only is it mixing styles in a tacky way, but it's also building all its "african" story/vibe on turbans and that creepy make-up.

I'm not sure of what the most offensive thing is: the casting or that very western claim to grasp other cultures which is, in my opinion, clearly a sign of a (conscious or not) domination feeling.
I mean I'd probably still find it in poor taste if the model was an african or a black girl.

27-02-2013
V.I.P.

i don't like that African Queen ed either, but i might suspect the reason of why they have chosen a white teenager model: it supposed to be 'intriguing' or 'weird' that they painted her skin, they wanted to make a weird contrast, they totally wanted to transfrom her look into something else, like they could paint her in red or blue, whatever. (well, the title of that ed is still confusing, but i hope my idea is understandable.) that is just my guess.
nonetheless it would be a more tasteful and beautiful editorial with a black model, but at the same time, it would be some kind of else.

27-02-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Ok but does that mean they should have also picked someone who's a "queen" so they don't offend all the the beautiful black queen's and aspiring black queen's out there?
Oh no, looks like you got me. Given the historical prejudice against queens and the terrible injustices that have been perpetrated upon them, it's good to know they have you out there looking out for them.

Look, just because someone isn't doing Sambo doesn't mean what they're doing isn't racist. Actions and words have implicit meanings because they exist within a greater context. One of the latest dog-whistle messages of American white supremacists is that we need to deny social benefits to single parents. Nothing about race in that sentiment, right? Except that single parents in the US are predominantly non-white. They're attacking single parents because doing so disproportionately affects the races they want to eliminate, and so when taken in context, this sentiment is racist.

The implication of casting Ondria in this editorial and then painting her black is that no actual African women are beautiful enough/have the features/are talented enough models to play an African queen. It is very, very easy to see how a large number of people would be offended.

27-02-2013
Soviet Camaro

Let's keep this civil, and let's not broaden the discussion into general politics.

Mahon, I think the first part of your last paragraph is a bit provocative, I think it's a leap to say that they are implying no African women are beautiful enough to play an African queen.

I grew up in the Southern US and any use of blackface on Caucasians is an automatic NO and is invariably perceived as racist. But, that's partly a locality issue and it's hard for me to automatically assume the motives of Numero.

27-02-2013
front row

lifeinapic.com

28-02-2013
front row

so fierce at Fendi backstage !!!

28-02-2013
V.I.P.

Nina Ricci F/W 2013

nowfashion

01-03-2013
V.I.P.

Nina Ricci F/W 13.14 HQ

vogue.it

02-03-2013
front row

Ondria has just opened Viktor&Rolf F/W 13.14 Paris

Nowfashion.com

02-03-2013
V.I.P.

She actually had look 3, nowfashion just have her picture first.

02-03-2013
V.I.P.

^^second look

nowfashion

02-03-2013
V.I.P.

Too bad she didn't open. She looks amazing

Viktor & Rolf F/W 13.14 HQ + Detail

vogue.it

02-03-2013
V.I.P.

*My pics*Viktor & Rolf F/W 13.14 Paris.