How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Femmes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-09-2011
rising star

interview by wwd

Quote:
Model Call: Sojourner Morell

With her tough chick, androgynous allure, Sojourner Morell looks part Samantha Ronson, part Agyness Deyn, with a hint of Vanessa Traina. Just donít tell that to the 20-year-old newcomer. ďI donít register it because I donít follow celebrities or even models so I wouldnít know,Ē says Morell, a New Jersey native. ďIíve never read gossip magazines and Iím not really been big on watching TV so Iím just like, ĎOK, thanks, I guess!íĒ While she just started modeling in June, Morell has already landed a British Vogue editorial and a Prada Resort campaign. Next stop: New York Fashion Week. We caught up with her between castings.

Is Sojourner a family name?
Well, you know Sojourner Truth? She did a lot for womenís rights and civil rights during the 1800s. So Iím named after her. And it comes from the French word sojourn, which is like a small stay or trip. So Iím someone who makes small trips, I guess.

How did you start modeling?
I was here to study at NYU and I thought, Iím in New York and Iíve always wanted to see if I could so why not? So I sent pictures to a bunch of agencies and thatís how I got in touch with Wilhelmina.

Where did you grow up?
I was born in Princeton, New Jersey. Then we moved upstate to Saratoga, and then I moved overseas by myself.

When was that, and why?
I was 16. It was for horse riding. I first spent half a year in Germany with a school and then I left early. I dropped out between my junior and senior year but it didnít matter in the end. I guess you can be a high school dropout and still go to NYU. So then I moved to Austria because I joined another riding school there. I did that for a year but it was too much.

How so?
It was a riding school academy, and it was like all old men. There were only 16 riders. Me and this other girl were the first girls to ever enroll. And I was the only foreigner. They were all from Vienna. And it wasnít like they helped me acclimate or find an apartment or anything so I was sort of on my own.

Why did you want to go in the first place?
Itís the best. Itís like the epitome of riding, the highest level so how can I not try it? I never expected them to accept me.

How did it happen then?
I just wrote a letter to them and said, I know you donít take women, but maybe I could come and ride for you? And then they wrote back to me and said, ĎPlease come for an interview.í So I went over, rode for them in this palace, and they were like, ĎWe like you. Can you start tomorrow?í

And then after a year you applied to NYU?
Yes, Iím still enrolled there, but am taking a yearís leave of absence to pursue this and see how it goes.

This is your first fashion week. How are you feeling?
Iím a bit nervous. Yesterday was my first day of castings and that was intense, a really full day. But in comparison to the other girls, I got off easy; I only had six casting gigs. But itís just very physically trying. Youíre running everywhere, rushing to get your shoes on and chucking your shoes off. You get there all gross and sweaty and youíre like, ĎI donít look so good right now.í

Did your agency give you any tips on your walk?
Shoulders back, chin up that kind of thing. They said walking on your toes more so that your heels is important so youíre not clunking down. Apparently, some of the runway heels arenít so stable so you canít really put a lot of weight on them or theyíll snap. So you have to sort of tiptoe. We practiced a lot because I donít normally wear heels. I have big feet, *size 10, so I hope they have shoes that fit at the shows. I did this shoot a couple of days ago and all of the shoes were a size too small. After standing there for 20 minutes, my feet were purple and throbbing.

How many castings do you have today?
Um, a lot, eight or nine. Itís good when you have a lot. It doesnít feel like as much pressure. If one doesnít go well you have others to look forward to.

Are any of them biggies?
I went to Alexander Wang yesterday, which was huge. The space is beautiful space. I was like, ďOh, I like this. I want to stay here. I got a little nervous when I saw him, even though he was only there for a second. He has a remarkable face. Iíd love to formally meet him.
wwd

08-09-2011
rising star

some pics from wwd article

wwd

08-09-2011
V.I.P.

Proenza Schouler? That's a great start!

08-09-2011
V.I.P.

loved that interview

11-09-2011
front row

Still anything?

11-09-2011
V.I.P.

Let's wait. Who knows, she might be a Proenza Schouler exclusive like Tara Gill last season.

12-09-2011
Zenga Zenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Style Savvy View Post
Let's wait. Who knows, she might be a Proenza Schouler exclusive like Tara Gill last season.
Or like Ginta Lapina a few seasons ago. She started with only Proenza in NY then her season went crescendo, peak was in Paris with YSL, Miu Miu and more good ones.

So, it's maybe not a bad sign at all to start slow in NY then keep a steady pace in other city and finish with the important ones in Paris.

12-09-2011
V.I.P.

She's got such a cool vibe... a Proenza start ouldn't be a bad thing... but if she was an exclusive would she still be doing all those castings?

V.I.P.

Hoping to see Sojourner later at Proenza.

14-09-2011
V.I.P.

No Proenza for Sojourner (as far as I can see). Given her British feel, a debut at Burberry wouldn't surprise me.

I don't see her at CK, to say the least. But if she did castings in NY, I guess one could never know. Marc Jacobs is perhaps better suited for her.

15-09-2011
scenester

Is this she at Marc Jacobs...?

http://nowfashion.com/

fashion elite

I think so! Maybe she was an MJ exclusive?

V.I.P.

It has got to be her! She looks quite good. I'm impressed!

15-09-2011
fashion elite

Marc Jacobs S/S 12

style.com

V.I.P.

She looks so amazing on the runway. Wow. She needs to book more shows in Europe!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
morrell, sojourner